• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Oh. I thought you said "those kind of people" which in hindsight is really dumb. Sorry. I retract my not-at-all funny joke.
No no. I just wouldn't include those people in the actual number of people who developed the game, but as I said those are people who do a kind job.

Just because it worked for the past decade doesn't mean it works now. For the past decade they weren't releasing games on an HD console, that takes much more time and resources to get right. 2-3 year development schedules is not a realistic timetable for console games and few other IP releases major games that frequently, and the ones that do have much larger dev teams than Game Freak. Look at the release schedules for other IPs for their flagship entries:
I don't know about Mario, but the 3D Zelda games are very distinct in gameplay, engine, assets and art style. You simply can't say that for the Pokemon core series as a whole. Yes, they're branching out, but you can still see the incremental jumps between SM, SwSh, DLC and Legends. They could technically take the Legends map and mold it into a new region, possibly adding conventional routes. To say that they definitely need 5 years for a new generation is just disingenuous; the gameplay will probably be very close to SwSh+DLC, or it might be closer to Legends. Either way, a lot of the work has been done.

(complaints from fans and feedback from Nintendo may have also played a hand in it as well).
In that case, the fans might want to be more vocal because the sales don't support their cause. If you don't like a game, don't buy it.

Too soon to say BSDP isn't designed for VGC, and I expect that they will be as they're the next traditional entry and designed for multiplayer.
Watch the announcement video; the narrator only mentions all Pokemon from the original DP games. While she doesn't say "only", why would she not say all Pokemon? After LGPE and SwSh, you'd think they'd advertise BSDP having all Pokemon. Instead, they're advertising Legends as having a different roster: "All around, you’ll find Pokémon living wild in harsh environments that make for a Sinnoh unlike the region you may remember from the days of the Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl games."

I'm also quite sure that BSDP won't feature Dynamax (you can't call the remakes faithful if you change gyms in a literally "big" way), so it would be odd for SwSh to be dropped in favor of BSDP. It doesn't even matter, though. If they used BSDP for three years, at best it would be pretty much the same as sticking to SwSh with returning Pokemon. The way they've handled VGC is regional Pokedex for year 1, National Pokedex without legendaries/mythicals for year 2, and then all Pokemon but mythicals for year 3. That isn't going to cut it if the next generation isn't released by the end of 2023. In no way can you call BSDP "Generation 8.5", and Legends is irrelevant to the multiplayer.

Um what? If anything this series of the anime is especially suited towards a longer generation because there's no real goal or destination. They're not sticking to Galar, they just go wherever, so they can create any number of episodes they feel like.
Have you watched it? Ash and Go still have goals despite the episodic format, and they've made a lot of progress in just a year. Ash is going to have a fully evolved team soon enough, and they made him jump from rank 3763 to rank 381. Meanwhile, Go has 76 critters in his Pokedex including a fully evolved starter and Suicune, so if they wanted they could make him catch Mew at any given moment and wrap up his story (he is obviously not meant to catch all Pokemon). Clearly a lot of padding could be made, but if the series is meant to last 5 years, the pacing is really off.

I should also mention that Go, the game, will wrap up Galar by late 2023. If this generation were designed to last 5 years, you'd think that Niantic would have taken more time with the Unova roster at least.

Last edited:
I mean obviously the main draw is gonna be, you know, OPEN WORLD, but I can't help but think there will be a bad guy in the story since this story DOES have some hints of lore (being a prequel and featuring arceus)
Who do ya think it'll be?
And you know how some games (Like X and Y) have this "oh, ages and ages ago" maybe we'll get to see one of those legends in the making...

I don't know about Mario, but the 3D Zelda games are very distinct in gameplay, engine, assets and art style. You simply can't say that for the Pokemon core series as a whole. Yes, they're branching out, but you can still see the incremental jumps between SM, SwSh, DLC and Legends. They could technically take the Legends map and mold it into a new region, possibly adding conventional routes. To say that they definitely need 5 years for a new generation is just disingenuous; the gameplay will probably be very close to SwSh+DLC, or it might be closer to Legends. Either way, a lot of the work has been done.

Mario is more like Pokemon, the jumps are incremental. And BotW2 is reusing BotW's engine but is still going on 4 years, so clearly the changes they're making to the open world are taking up most of their time, not the artstyle.

Watch the announcement video; the narrator only mentions all Pokemon from the original DP games. While she doesn't say "only", why would she not say all Pokemon? After LGPE and SwSh, you'd think they'd advertise BSDP having all Pokemon. Instead, they're advertising Legends as having a different roster: "All around, you’ll find Pokémon living wild in harsh environments that make for a Sinnoh unlike the region you may remember from the days of the Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl games."

You're reading too much into the exact wording. They're promoting the Pokemon from DP because they're the ones people remember and they'll be available in the main game which is what most of the promotion will focus on, usually post game content is either kept secret or revealed close to release. That doesn't mean in the slightest that BDSP will only have Pokemon from DP, more likely they'll only have the Platinum Dex in the main game and a selection of about 200ish other Pokemon in the post game.

If they used BSDP for three years, at best it would be pretty much the same as sticking to SwSh with returning Pokemon. The way they've handled VGC is regional Pokedex for year 1, National Pokedex without legendaries/mythicals for year 2, and then all Pokemon but mythicals for year 3. That isn't going to cut it if the next generation isn't released by the end of 2023. In no way can you call BSDP "Generation 8.5", and Legends is irrelevant to the multiplayer.

Dexit throws a monkey wrench into this because games no longer contain all Pokemon, new games have to start from square one and the VGC will just have to find a way to deal with it. This is likely not a significant consideration in their release schedule.

Have you watched it? Ash and Go still have goals despite the episodic format, and they've made a lot of progress in just a year. Ash is going to have a fully evolved team soon enough, and they made him jump from rank 3763 to rank 381. Meanwhile, Go has 76 critters in his Pokedex including a fully evolved starter and Suicune, so if they wanted they could make him catch Mew at any given moment and wrap up his story (he is obviously not meant to catch all Pokemon). Clearly a lot of padding could be made, but if the series is meant to last 5 years, the pacing is really off.

None of that prevents them from extending the series. Ash could release some of his Pokemon and catch new ones, and he could drop in rank with a loss or they could slow his rank growth (this is realistic as the higher up you are in competitions the harder it is to continue to rank up).

I should also mention that Go, the game, will wrap up Galar by late 2023. If this generation were designed to last 5 years, you'd think that Niantic would have taken more time with the Unova roster at least.

How long do you think Go's going to last? It's already 5 years old, it's not just going to keep going forever.

I vaguely recall hearing something about the possibility of the Player being at risk from Pokémon attacks during battle.

If that ends up being true, I'm curious how would people feel about the Player taking a more active role in battles. This is Sinnoh after all and the presence of Lucario in the trailer makes me wonder if Aura is going to come into play at all. :unsure:

I don't think this should necessarily be used to say that the games will only have the 493 Gens 1-4 Pokemon + the relatives. It's the announcement trailer for DP remakes, of course they'd emphasize that you can travel with the Pokemon that were in the originals.

We're also way too early in the news cycle to be sure what the roster is, they can easily have more Gens 5-8 Pokemon within the game, just won't be in the regional dex.

I also doubt they'd use the "all Pokemon" angle when Dexit is still generally a thing. They're not gonna scrap it mid-Gen like that. If they do scrap it, it'd make sense to reserve it for a new Gen, but that doesn't mean they will do it.

I vaguely recall hearing something about the possibility of the Player being at risk from Pokémon attacks during battle.

If that ends up being true, I'm curious how would people feel about the Player taking a more active role in battles. This is Sinnoh after all and the presence of Lucario in the trailer makes me wonder if Aura is going to come into play at all. :unsure:
I think that it's almost confirmed. Look at these leaked pictures:
Immagine.png

1) In the first picture, the trainer is probably moving to avoid the thundershock that is going to hit Lucario.
2) In the second picture, the boss pokemon is attacking...but the trainer has no pokemon on the field. This means that the boss pokemon is attacking him.
3) The third picture refers to rolling as "Rolling - Evade", which is basically a dodge-roll. Usually when you can dodge-roll in a game is because you can be attacked.

I don't think this should necessarily be used to say that the games will only have the 493 Gens 1-4 Pokemon + the relatives. It's the announcement trailer for DP remakes, of course they'd emphasize that you can travel with the Pokemon that were in the originals.

We're also way too early in the news cycle to be sure what the roster is, they can easily have more Gens 5-8 Pokemon within the game, just won't be in the regional dex.

I also doubt they'd use the "all Pokemon" angle when Dexit is still generally a thing. They're not gonna scrap it mid-Gen like that. If they do scrap it, it'd make sense to reserve it for a new Gen, but that doesn't mean they will do it.
If they aren't going to scrap Dexit, then using BSDP for VGC would entail suddenly dropping a lot of the Pokemon being used for this year's VGC. Why do that?

"All Pokemon from Diamond and Pearl" includes nearly 300 found outside the Platinum Pokedex. If they can mention those, they can mention additional Pokemon. Instead, they made a point of saying that Legends will feature other Pokemon.

This isn't even important, though. I think that BSDP and Legends will justify adding the missing 290-ish Pokemon to SwSh. That would be better for VGC than some weird BSDP metagame with random exclusions, but neither format would cut it for more than two years.

I think BDSP will only have the Pokémon found in the originals + Sylveon + maybe Sinnohan Forms for regional evolutions. They talked about seeing again the Pokémon you see in the originals, so there will be few Pokémon introduced after Gen IV.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom