• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Maybe that'll be the next announcement! Or at least a future one.
XD Release day is soon and they just released a new trailer for it, so seems like the pre-release opportunity to reveal a new pokemon has fully slipped at this point.

If it gets anything, it'll probably have to be added later with DLC. Maybe when Legends gets released, there'll be some interaction between the two that produces something.

XD Release day is soon and they just released a new trailer for it, so seems like the pre-release opportunity to reveal a new pokemon has fully slipped at this point.

If it gets anything, it'll probably have to be added later with DLC. Maybe when Legends gets released, there'll be some interaction between the two that produces something.
The last trailer could tell something about the post-game.

Just seems kinda weird that they didn't use one as promo for release day.
Manaphy is the mythical they're focusing on now, and Arceus is coming up in another game. They seem to want to cover all the Sinnoh mythicals before doing something new, by which point it will probably be time for a new movie. Victini and Meltan were very much the exceptions to the rule, and the former made up for that year's movie not featuring a mythical (although the Zorua line wasn't regularly obtainable in BW).

Manaphy is the mythical they're focusing on now, and Arceus is coming up in another game. They seem to want to cover all the Sinnoh mythicals before doing something new, by which point it will probably be time for a new movie. Victini and Meltan were very much the exceptions to the rule, and the former made up for that year's movie not featuring a mythical (although the Zorua line wasn't regularly obtainable in BW).

That is strange though, they usually promote a new mythical almost every year, not just go back through an old one. There's almost always been some never before distributed mythical (note that some may have been discovered in the code, but they weren't officially revealed and distributed until about a year. They've done this consistently almost every year since 3rd gen:

2003- Jirachi
2004- Deoxys
2005- nothing
2006- Manaphy
2007- Darkrai
2008- Shaymin
2009- Arceus
2010- Victini
2011- nothing
2012- Keldeo and Meloetta
2013- Genesect
2014- Diancie
2015- Hoopa
2016- Volcanion and Magearna
2017- Marshadow
2018- Zeraora
2019- Meltan and Melmeltal
2020- Zarude

They've had new mythicals 16 of the last 18 years, and the last time they missed a year was 10 years ago. That's extremely consistent. So yes, it is weird that there's not a new, 8th gen mythical being promoted alongside BDSP.

If I had to guess, it has more to do with the pandemic delaying the movie schedule than wanting to focus on 4th gen's mythicals, we haven't had a new movie since Secrets of the Jungle and that was delayed worldwide until just a month ago. The 4th gen mythicals just seem to be a convenient Plan B. FRLG, HGSS, ORAS, and LGPE all had current gen mythicals that either tied into it or released alongside it, so I don't see why BDSP would be any different. I suspect that the 24th movie was planned to release this year and a new, 8th gen mythical was planned to be revealed and distributed alongside of it, but because they haven't even been able to promote Secrets of the Jungle worldwide until now they're holding off until next year.

Of course, it has to do with pandemic delaying the movie (or rather canceling it). That said, Marshadow didn't get anything new in USUM, and Zeraora wasn't even in LGPE. The 2019 movie didn't even feature a mythical distribution. So even if there had been a movie this year, it might have had nothing to do with BDSP.

One less mythical is good news in my book.

And honestly, even if it hadn't been a mythical, we've at least gotten a new pokemon design with every game, including remakes and expansions, since Gen 6. It seems weird for that to suddenly stop with BDSP, unless they really just don't care about it.

They could be saving one for Legend's release as a tie-in, but if that's the case, it's still pretty weird not to promote it now so people buy BDSP in preparation.

I swear BDSP is like their redheaded stepchild they don't want to give candy to.

Last edited:
The whole concept of giving the remake to a different company while simultaneously working on a Legends game in-house is a trend-shattering concept. We can't look at trends or patterns for anything for this.

I think the only Gamefreak employee involved in BDSP was Masuda, since he directed the original games, right? Gamefreak as a company put all their design team efforts into Legends: Arceus. I expect everything 'new' in terms of designs to be in that game, and for BDSP to have absolutely zero new designs or Pokemon.

EDIT: And I just remembered that Legends: Arceus likely was meant to come out in 2021, but the pandemic affected timelines like it has done for all companies. I believe we will get a mythical with Legends (not BDSP), but thanks to the pandemic, it will be in 2022 and not 2021.

Last edited:
The whole concept of giving the remake to a different company while simultaneously working on a Legends game in-house is a trend-shattering concept. We can't look at trends or patterns for anything for this.

I think the only Gamefreak employee involved in BDSP was Masuda, since he directed the original games, right? Gamefreak as a company put all their design team efforts into Legends: Arceus. I expect everything 'new' in terms of designs to be in that game, and for BDSP to have absolutely zero new designs or Pokemon.

EDIT: And I just remembered that Legends: Arceus likely was meant to come out in 2021, but the pandemic affected timelines like it has done for all companies. I believe we will get a mythical with Legends (not BDSP), but thanks to the pandemic, it will be in 2022 and not 2021.
Still seems odd, you would think they would have requested a new mythical or legendary for promotion, at least. It's what they give movies, but yet they're shafting these games that arguably need it more?

I don't doubt that Legends will get something, but it has enough new pokemon to promote itself already, so revealing one isn't necessary for it right now. But BDSP seems like they just really don't care.

I think, while every Pokémon game is a test of some kind that can affect production choices going forward, BDSP really is them testing just how far an HD remake can get in sales. Nothing really new beyond ‘fixing’ some issues by having Pokémon available underground. How much will it sell due to sheer nostalgia for adults and a child market that was not alive 15 years ago?

I think, while every Pokémon game is a test of some kind that can affect production choices going forward, BDSP really is them testing just how far an HD remake can get in sales. Nothing really new beyond ‘fixing’ some issues by having Pokémon available underground. How much will it sell due to sheer nostalgia for adults and a child market that was not alive 15 years ago?
I'm sure there's a newer generation of fans who didn't play the original Sinnoh games but has heard loads of good about them.

Why would you test that...? That's an expensive test to willingly go "Hey let's not try to make more money on this one." And honestly, they can test that much more easily with just a remastered version instead of going all out on 3D graphics.

There's also the point of what an unfair comparison it would be to recent games- they all had new pokemon added as sales incentive. If they wanted a proper comparison, it should be at least on par with everything else in that regard.

Last edited:
If I had to guess, it has more to do with the pandemic delaying the movie schedule than wanting to focus on 4th gen's mythicals, we haven't had a new movie since Secrets of the Jungle and that was delayed worldwide until just a month ago. The 4th gen mythicals just seem to be a convenient Plan B. FRLG, HGSS, ORAS, and LGPE all had current gen mythicals that either tied into it or released alongside it, so I don't see why BDSP would be any different. I suspect that the 24th movie was planned to release this year and a new, 8th gen mythical was planned to be revealed and distributed alongside of it, but because they haven't even been able to promote Secrets of the Jungle worldwide until now they're holding off until next year.
I hate how Mythical Pokémon have been turned into movie promotions with very little to do with the setting of the games they’re first available in. Can’t they have at least some connection to in-game lore?

I hate how Mythical Pokémon have been turned into movie promotions with very little to do with the setting of the games they’re first available in. Can’t they have at least some connection to in-game lore?
Diancie is probably the only Mythical Pokémon starting from Generation VI to have some sort of in-game lore.

I don't know if it's really fair to say that the main problem with Mythicals is being disconnected from the region as a whole- while there are some mythicals that connect to existing lore in the region (Keldeo, Genesect, Darkrai, Arceus), I think a lot of them are still pretty stand-alone in their myths. Like, say Jirachi and Shaymin switched regions- would things really be all that different for them? Heck, you could even argue that some mythicals would be better suited to other games- like, wouldn't Manaphy and Phionne be better suited to GSC than Celebi? They'd do a better job of showcasing the breeding mechanics introduced in those games.

I do agree they need more relevance to their games, but I think it's fine if that relevance is just "Hey here's a story of a cool Pokemon", and not to the region or even story as a whole- it just sucks that they're not given anything beyond "Here you go, one incredibly rare Pokemon."

I feel this issue is pretty distinct to Mythicals purely because this is exactly what the difference is between Mythicals and Legendaries- they're not found in the game naturally. They probably shy away from making much mention of them in-game because they're not part of the normal game content, and so they don't want to allude to something whose availability is dependent upon a brief distribution event window. That way, it seems more like something that is just extra and less like something that is actually missing from the game.

Why would you test that...? That's an expensive test to willingly go "Hey let's not try to make more money on this one." And honestly, they can test that much more easily with just a remastered version instead of going all out on 3D graphics.

There's also the point of what an unfair comparison it would be to recent games- they all had new pokemon added as sales incentive. If they wanted a proper comparison, it should be at least on par with everything else in that regard.
Because they probably do not want to be making these remakes anymore, honestly. They made FRLG and HGSS because the original games and their Pokemon were not easily compatible with the GBC games, so things felt disconnected in a franchise that prides itself as connection and trade being a core principle.

That's not the case anymore. Pokemon HOME proves that anything can mingle with anything now. BDSP are only happening because people expect them to happen, which is why Gamefreak isn't even making it and it was given to ILCA. It's pretty obvious to me. Look at ORAS vs BDSP and the stark decrease in creative effort. The goal for these remakes are no longer to build on the originals, it's to offer an HD remake for children and nostalgic adults. And it's not an expensive test- these games are guaranteed to sell. There are analyzers that have assuredly statistically proven a minimum sales point, and the budget for these games is 100% guaranteed to have been below that minimum point.

I don't know if it's really fair to say that the main problem with Mythicals is being disconnected from the region as a whole- while there are some mythicals that connect to existing lore in the region (Keldeo, Genesect, Darkrai, Arceus), I think a lot of them are still pretty stand-alone in their myths. Like, say Jirachi and Shaymin switched regions- would things really be all that different for them? Heck, you could even argue that some mythicals would be better suited to other games- like, wouldn't Manaphy and Phionne be better suited to GSC than Celebi? They'd do a better job of showcasing the breeding mechanics introduced in those games.

I do agree they need more relevance to their games, but I think it's fine if that relevance is just "Hey here's a story of a cool Pokemon", and not to the region or even story as a whole- it just sucks that they're not given anything beyond "Here you go, one incredibly rare Pokemon."
Even Keldeo and its associated trio would have been been better suited to another region, the one that came right after them. It's weird to me how they had to know they were making literally pokéfrance next, but put these in gen 5.

Volcanion, fire/water type, came in the generation that gave us Hoenn remakes and one generation before the region based on volcanic islands, but nope, it's supposed to be a Kalos pokémon. Manaphy came one gen after Hoenn, where it would have been right at home if not used for Johto (and they saw this since it was in a Hoenn movie). Magearna came one gen after the one all about what you could do with pokémons' life energy (and again, is in a Kalos movie), and Hoopa one gen before the one that has dimensional portals as a plot point...

The potential connections are so close, and they keep just... missing them.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom