• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus General Discussion

Ideas for a Challenge Mode:

-Fast travel to Camps/Settlements/Arenas is disabled
-In-game time matches the Switch's internal clock
-Damage the player character takes in the field can only be healed by resting at a Camp
-If you black out in a Noble battle, you have to restart from the beginning (no continuing with whatever Frenzy you had left)
-Pokemon levels increased in trainer battles
-Crafting items can sometimes fail, and you lose the materials

I haven't seen his newer style imitated very well. Sure the first couple gen's hand drawn water colored art is easy to imitate. But every time they try to imitate anything after Gen 3, it's just easier to tell even if the diffrences are as subtle as the lines being too straight or too thin or using the wrong type of brush.

Oh, I've seen a number of artists who are really close or spot-on with the newer style. Some fall a bit short because they're digital artists and are really accustomed to drawing with their super clean lines, but if they tried just a little bit harder to 100% imitate it they could easily surpass that.

Example with a-little-bit-too-clean lines-

Another example who I think adds a little extra yellow highlight in their rendition but could be right on the money if they cut back-

But Sugimori himself might've just had a bad day with Hiphlosion and Zoroark. All I'm noticing is that the lines might be a bit too dark on them or the shading is a bit off (which is amazing given that official Pokemon art is bad at light sources anyway)

I still can't get over how H-Typh's flame looks like hair in the official art. I get that it's supposed to be spooky yokai flame, but there gotta be better way of executing it than... this. The flowiness fits the depiction of mystical flame and is a good contrast against J-Typh, but the overall look feels wrong with the combination of the highlight (why does flame have such highlight...) and how there are outlines defining each ball of flame when imo it would've looked better if they looked more blurred together. (While typing this, I realized it also reminds me of A-Vulpix and A-Ninetales' tails -- things that decidedly aren't flame.)

Kind of disappointed since I was hoping the 2D artwork would improve my opinion on the execution of the idea, but oh well, I guess fanworks are there for me to see instead.

Everyone else is fine; they don't improve my opinion nor make me feel disappointed.
Gawd I am so mad about the red in those flames. It doesn't look like flames if you put a dark pit of color inside another dark color! The art had no chance of salvaging the model's wiggleblobs with that terrible color choice, but the style is indeed very hairy as well.

The Japanese Pokedex site has updated with artwork for all the new mons.

Are we sure Typhlosion's the high one 'round here? Sliggoo, Goodra, and Basculegion seem like they'd make good competition.

705Sliggoo-Hisui.png

706Goodra-Hisui.png

902Basculegion-Female.png

Sneasel's really good, too.

215Sneasel-Hisui.png

Also, Enamorus. I like its design a bit more now that I have a good look at it.

905Enamorus.png

Last edited:
267e438abc6ed0c5c4140a474ecb4f71.png

I don't know why anyone ever wanted an overly designed jolly firework Hisuian Electrode. It's angry expression and carved out eyes are actually pretty cute. I mean it's supposed to be an angry Apricorn that was shunned by humans and the simple design gets it's point across better than the fan renditions did.

Screenshot_20220216-013255_Chrome.png
I like Hisuian Lilligant...but having her next to the normal Liligant makes it look like it is a repurposed middle stage like I said back when the model was leaked.

Oh, I've seen a number of artists who are really close or spot-on with the newer style. Some fall a bit short because they're digital artists and are really accustomed to drawing with their super clean lines, but if they tried just a little bit harder to 100% imitate it they could easily surpass that.

Example with a-little-bit-too-clean lines-

Another example who I think adds a little extra yellow highlight in their rendition but could be right on the money if they cut back-

But Sugimori himself might've just had a bad day with Hiphlosion and Zoroark. All I'm noticing is that the lines might be a bit too dark on them or the shading is a bit off (which is amazing given that official Pokemon art is bad at light sources anyway)
The brushes still seem kind of off to me. Maybe even on the cleaner side like closer to Mizutani's art.

I don't know. Personally I don't really see anything wrong or off about Hisuian Typhlosion and Zoroark. It could have everything to do with trying to translate other people's sketches. Who knows.

View attachment 155751
At least Goodra's smiling in this one. :giggle:
If you look carefully at its in-game model, you’ll see it’s actually smiling there too and has all along. It’s just hard to tell given how translucent its body is in certain areas with the slimy, shiny coat and its prominent droopy eyes. Anyway, I’m so excited to finally have its artwork out <3

Ideas for a Challenge Mode:

-Fast travel to Camps/Settlements/Arenas is disabled
-In-game time matches the Switch's internal clock
-Damage the player character takes in the field can only be healed by resting at a Camp
-If you black out in a Noble battle, you have to restart from the beginning (no continuing with whatever Frenzy you had left)
-Pokemon levels increased in trainer battles
-Crafting items can sometimes fail, and you lose the materials
None of these sound fun besides the increased Trainer Levels and having to restart the Noble fights from the beginning. Simply inconveniencing the player does not at all equate to a good, fun challenge, unless it's something like removing the checkpoints from already short boss fights.

If you look carefully at its in-game model, you’ll see it’s actually smiling there too and has all along. It’s just hard to tell given how translucent its body is in certain areas with the slimy, shiny coat and its prominent droopy eyes. Anyway, I’m so excited to finally have its artwork out <3
To be fair, I've only seen its in-game model in YouTube videos or online, I haven't gotten far enough in the game to see one yet. Good to know it was smiling all along though. :giggle:

I also don't understand how items periodically failing would work
Best comparison I can think of is Mabinogi where you go to craft something and there's a % chance of successfully crafting the item. If RNG decides that you failed, you don't get the item you were trying to make and the materials you used to try to craft it just disappear.

I just can't see failing to craft an item would go well, it would force the player to buy them instead, which goes against the idea that you have to gather the materials and create things yourself. There's a reason why they made it harder for you to get money this time around, and that's to encourage crafting.

I just can't see failing to craft an item would go well, it would force the player to buy them instead, which goes against the idea that you have to gather the materials and create things yourself. There's a reason why they made it harder for you to get money this time around, and that's to encourage crafting.
It's funny, because other than the bag upgrades, I haven't noticed it being hard to earn money. XD I have a ton of stardust and nuggets I haven't cashed in yet, either. But I also fully embraced the crafting system from the get-go.

Well, we're getting some Sword and Shield-related news tomorrow, apparently. Maybe they will update it to include Legends pokemon after all.

Kinda feels like potentially the most interesting day this week besides Pokemon Day itself. Or it could be nothing, just another wild area event, like Gmax Pikachu and Eevee for Pokemon Day or something else unsubstantial like that.

Well, we're getting some Sword and Shield-related news tomorrow, apparently. Maybe they will update it to include Legends pokemon after all.

Kinda feels like potentially the most interesting day this week besides Pokemon Day itself. Or it could be nothing, just another wild area event, like Gmax Pikachu and Eevee for Pokemon Day or something else unsubstantial like that.

The fact that it's tomorrow smack dab in between some mobile related news, far away from Pokemon Day itself, with other unsubstantial news happening after it like a music video of all things, and without any announcement of news for BDSP and LA which are far more likely to get substantial news (at a bare minimum, Home update when?) implies that it's probably the latter. We're likely waiting to hear a Pokemon Presents announcement on or closer to Pokemon Day and we don't have that yet.

My assumption is that they're gonna maybe have a Pokemon Presents on Pokemon Day or Friday as the 27th is a Sunday.

Probably not Friday, they would've announced it for that day if it were happening. Right now we just get the music video that day and probably nothing else. If it doesn't happen on Pokemon Day itself, it'll probably happen on the 28th or 1st.

On one hand, I'm surprised they didn't announce a Presents by now.

But on the other hand...at least by doing this it saves from the disappointment that was that Pokémon Unite Presents. Like it's great they're not having a presentation solely for mobile games in a time where people want to know if there's DLC, wherw the HOME compatibility is, and updates to the main games.

Also, I feel like tomorrow is just going to be an announcement for the March online tournament where you get shiny Galarian Zapdos. Maybe a new wild area raid event if we're lucky. Either that or Pokemon Gun is real. Who knows at this point.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom