• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Let's Go Co-op

Extroth

Face the Darkness
Reaction score
So I've been waiting for a truly cooperative Pokemon game for a long time now. The closest things we've had up to this point is some co-op options in battle facilities...which are fun but they don't hold a candle to shareing the journey with someone else. Honestly this is something that I hope stays in the series as we move forward.

So what are everyone elses thoughts on co-op?
What are you most looking forward to about this new feature?
And what are your concerns?

This thread can also be used for discussing further reveals and information we get about co-op in Pokemon let's go.

I'm quite excited about the co-op idea and I really hope it stays in future titles. I do wonder, though, exactly how it will work. Can you bring your JoyCon from your own switch to use your own character, or what?

I'm worried it'll be too easy, in the trailer we saw that it turns trainer battles into 2v1's, which I think is a bad move.

In the Sinnoh games, you'd meet NPC's like Cheryl and Riley, who, when they followed you, every activity became double battles, all trainer battles, and wild encounters, etc. With the way wild encounters function now, I can understand that you're now "working together" to catch one Pokemon, but all the trainer battles should become 2v2 to keep it fair yet engaging to the co-op players. Maybe the bug catcher in the trailer only has one Pokemon, which is the only way I can see this being an acceptable move.

Other than that, I'm super hyped for these features, we're FINALLY getting cool shit like co-op, your starter sitting on your head or shoulder, riding all your own Pokemon, etc.

EDIT:

So I rewatched the trailer, the Bug Catcher does in fact have a single Pokemon, this gives me hope that they aren't making a mistake here, and that battles against stronger trainers with multiple Pokemon will be 2v2. That'll be nice if it is the case.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if this is a full co-op type deal, or if it is simply a way for a second player to assist the main player. At the moment, I have my doubts that the second player can completely travel around the region with you, with their own Pokémon and everything. I'm getting the sense that the co-op feature is simply a means for someone to assist the main player, and walk around the region with them while doing so.

I'm wondering if this is a full co-op type deal, or if it is simply a way for a second player to assist the main player. At the moment, I have my doubts that the second player can completely travel around the region with you, with their own Pokémon and everything. I'm getting the sense that the co-op feature is simply a means for someone to assist the main player, and walk around the region with them while doing so.
The way I was interpreting what I saw was that the second player would just join and assist. Like, use the first player’s Pokémon. Then it would just essentially be a glorified double battle experience.

(Really though, if you’re playing 2-player, NPCs should send out 2 Pokémon so it’s not just a walk in the pokepark).

The way I was interpreting what I saw was that the second player would just join and assist. Like, use the first player’s Pokémon. Then it would just essentially be a glorified double battle experience.

(Really though, if you’re playing 2-player, NPCs should send out 2 Pokémon so it’s not just a walk in the pokepark).

That is what I gathered as well. The fact that a second person can walk around alongside you is nice, but it seems they are mainly there just to assist you.

That is what I gathered as well. The fact that a second person can walk around alongside you is nice, but it seems they are mainly there just to assist you.
Yeah. It’s really kinda just like the same way Mario odyssey is 2-player. It’s one person’s game, one person’s adventure, and player 2 is just there as an accessory.

It's an interesting feature but it just seems really "casual". Doing it will just make the game easier. Can't beat the Champion? make it 2v1 lol

It's an interesting feature but it just seems really "casual". Doing it will just make the game easier. Can't beat the Champion? make it 2v1 lol

As I mentioned above, it might not go that route.

The only battle we saw in co-op mode was a Bug Catcher who only had a single Pokémon. A lot of people missed this detail and assumed that co-op turns battles into 2v1’s. I’m hoping this isn’t the case and was a result of the Bug Catcher not having 2+ Pokémon, so not all hope is lost, it could turn the game into double battle mode which would be neat for those of us more used to double battles competitively. I’ve always loved when double battles would come up in-game.

As I mentioned above, it might not go that route.

The only battle we saw in co-op mode was a Bug Catcher who only had a single Pokémon. A lot of people missed this detail and assumed that co-op turns battles into 2v1’s. I’m hoping this isn’t the case and was a result of the Bug Catcher not having 2+ Pokémon, so not all hope is lost, it could turn the game into double battle mode which would be neat for those of us more used to double battles competitively. I’ve always loved when double battles would come up in-game.
That’s what I’ve been hoping and dreaming for. Colosseum is one of my favorites for that reason.

I really wouldn’t put it past modern Game Freak to think that players need a 2-on-1 advantage against the in-game Trainers and their no-more-than-three-member teams.

You might be correct in that the co-op is more like an easy mode. I hope not Pokemon games are not particularly difficult to begin with.

That being said... maybe you should stop using the word casual like that. It's a bit of a derogatory term for a group of people who really have done nothing wrong.

You might be correct in that the co-op is more like an easy mode. I hope not Pokemon games are not particularly difficult to begin with.

That being said... maybe you should stop using the word casual like that. It's a bit of a derogatory term for a group of people who really have done nothing wrong.

Well if youre on this forum, you're not a casual

Honestly, it kind of makes sense. If Game Freak wants to bring Go Players back into main-series Pokemon with this game, then allowing two people to play with one Switch and one copy of the game improves the product's reach.

I agree with some that there is a good chance that the game ends up being esiere with co-op. But my wife and I finished Kirby Star Allies recently and that game was super easy with co-op but still fun. All I'm saying is easy can still be fun.

I love that we finally have Co-op. It's one of the biggest reasons I'm excited for LGPE. And if it makes the game too easy...who cares? So long as I'm having fun with my friends, who cares if it's easy or challenging? Fun is the overall purpose, after all.

I do not need it for this game, but if in the future they can improve the Co-op so that your partner can use their own party instead of your reserves, that'd be wonderful too.

It makes perfect sense with the co-op capabilities of the Switch. I don't personally care for playing co-op games that much, but it's nice to have the option. I think it will be very handy for parents, who can let their children share the same console instead of having to buy a second one.

The trailer presented it in a drop in sort of deal.

I can see this working by having player two taking control the second half of the first player's team

Another way they can do it is by having a "player 2 box" in the PC.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom