• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Musicals... Like 'em or Hate 'em?

Like it or hate it?

• Total voters
Guys, I dressed up my Karrablast as a dapper gentleman with a can and tophat. A tie and glasses tied to the look together. CUTEST THING EVER, MAN.

It's okay. The top hat, gentlemen!:mallet:

But my sister takes it too far... Nothing to be said, only that she is obsessed.

And do you ever feel sorry for the Pokemon? Arceus, proud, strong Arceus... reduced to a ribbon wearing FREAK!

Contest are about showing off not being strong.
This is my time to shine.

Well, it's cute and all, but that's pretty much it. It has no real purpose, but I like to dress up my Pokémon and participate in the Musicals sometimes just for teh lulz. xD

I once dressed up my bisharp into a girl with a purse, lotsa ribbons and a necklace... :D lolz

I liked it, but not as much as Contests. I wish they had plot (and had a bottom-screen narration) like an actual musical.

I also was disappointed with Machamp not being able to equip four arm items and Vanilluxe not being able to equip two hats.

I think they're cute . . . I do a few as I pass through town so I can upgrade my card eventually.

Actually I like the idea of Appeal, then Battle rounds.

Contest are about showing off not being strong.
Yet animé-style contests allow for the win through sheer force. So we remove that from the games, what do we have? The already existing Appeals round, since that's the place when you try to raise your score and lower your opponent's.

I was really hoping for a remake of the contests, so the musicals are just... disappointing to me. But I will admit, my Audino really seems in his element. Especially since I named him Kurt.

Well, it's a nice time-waster, that's for sure. I do somewhat enjoy it. I usually do them when I have nothing to do. And it's... well, you know, it's cute.

I guess I just don't see the reason in doing them if they don't cause me to think at all. Although I'm glad at least some people can derive fun out of it. :p

There actually is some thought to it. You get more points if you time your props to the song. You lose points if you cut off someone else's appeal.

I don't like them because you don't get rewarded for it, and it's kind of stupid pressing a button to twirl something and that's it.

They're pretty uninvolved, as all you need is go in, dress up, make a move, and watch the show. However, I'm not sure if that's actually bad...

I liked Contests in Ruby/Sapphire because it felt as if it wasn't just a minigame. It was like a small quest, what with having to go through four different Halls and Ranks. Emerald just put all Ranks in one Contest Hall (And replaced the other Halls with even more pointless buildings), which removed that poor but nice quest feel. Obviously the trend stood in 4th Gen's two minigames. Frankly, as convenient as it is to have everything in one building, it really makes the whole thing feel dull and pointless. It works for the Pokéathlon (At least there's some king of huge park outside the stadium too), but not Contests. Not when they were so focused on in other media, and compared to how they were managed in Ruby/Sapphire.

Overall, due to how they "evolved", Super Contests and Pokéathlon felt like glorified minigames. Unfortunately, they weren't just simple minigames. You had to invest time raising competition Stats and then play the game. In Contest's case, you even had to plan Movesets. With how the whole thing was demoted, it was too much work, too little reward feel. Despite victory earning you a Trainer Star... yeah. That took too long and was subjected to the game's whims in many cases.

I won't deny Musicals are extremely simplistic, but... at least they do feel like minigames through and through, and don't put unnecessary barriers for you to do well at them. Just go in, dress up, make an appeal, and hope you win a Prop or two. It will be monotonous to do it a lot of times, but the way they were made, they're meant as a distraction from the usual game activities. They require no time investment unlike the previous glorified minigames. The overall simplicity also makes getting the prizes a much easier task. Sometimes, less is more.

I really had a good laugh at dressing my Pinsir on a top hat, a cane, a belt and some glasses, and see him spin around with the other Pokémon in the stage. Simple, quick and to the point fun. I definitely will try getting all the Props. It's fun enough, even if you don't do that much.

I guess I just don't see the reason in doing them if they don't cause me to think at all. Although I'm glad at least some people can derive fun out of it. :p
I think the best part of them is that you don't have to think. In my opinion, after I've been training a Pokemon methodically for a while, it's good to unwind with some time-wasting nonsense.

I don't like them because you don't get rewarded for it, and it's kind of stupid pressing a button to twirl something and that's it.
You do get rewarded; talk to the people in the lobby after a performance and they'll sometimes give you props, depending on how well you did. Unless you meant that you don't count things which only help with future musicals, in which case no, there's very little reward (although contests had very little reward either, except for ribbons to brag about).

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom