• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon names you mispronounced?

Je suis une anglaise qui parle un peu de francais, et je vous aiderai le mieux que possible.

Braixen, Greninja, Malamar, Amaura, Goomy, Trevenant : correct

Chesnaut - chess-(astro)naut
Pyroar - Pie-roar
Florges - je crois avec le son -es mais je ne suis pas sure.
Meowstic - mi-ow-stick
Honedge - hone (le e silent)-edge
Clauncher - claw-ncher
Clawitzer - claw-itzer
Bergmite - berg-mite (comme l'insecte en anglais)
Avalugg - ava-lugg (comme le mot anglais 'lung' sans n. vous etes pres)

J'espere que c'est util.
Ca l'est ! Même si je préfère utiliser le mot français pour "mosquito" pour prononcer Meowstic, c'est toujours bon de savoir quels sont les bonnes prononciations. Merci :)

So what makes you think that english has the right pronunciation? I have always said Pikachu/Pikakhu not Pikazu like everyone else.

English has the right pronunciation because these are the English names we are discussing. Makes sense, doesn't it?

I've been pretty good at nailing Pokémon pronunciations (stuff like the unaccented "e" in Illumise I don't count since that's NOA's fault), but according to Bulbapedia I've been mispronouncing Chinchou's name wrong. It's supposed to be pronounced "chin-choh" instead of "chin-chau" because the vowels in its Japanese name Chonchie are reversed.

English has the right pronunciation because these are the English names we are discussing. Makes sense, doesn't it?

Nope. These are not just English names because they are used in other languages too. In my language they are pronounced that way.

Chesnaut - chess-naut
Pyroar - Pie-roar
Florges - Floor - jez
Meowstic - Meowz-tic
Dedenne - Ded-en-nee
Honedge - Hawn-edge
Clauncher - Clawn-cher
Clawitzer - Claw-witzer
Bergmite - berg-mite
Yveltal - Yee-vel-tawl

Giratina: I thought it was pronounced "Jur-AT-in-UH" until I watched Giratina and the Sky Warrior on Cartoon Network.

Last edited:
Until I heard them pronounce it in the anime, I've pronounced the legendary golems' names with the G like in "Grant" instead of like "George". With Regice in particular, I pronounced it as "Reg-is" with a short I instead of "Reh-gee-ice".

Virizion - I was a little ticked with the official pronunciation, 'cause it isn't the same as Cobalion and Terrakion. The official pronunciation is "Ver-RAI-zee-on" when I rather call it "Vi-RIH-zee-on".

"Ver-RAI-zee-on:" Can you hear me now? :)

Dedenne / said dede ne ( the dede sort of put together )/ Correct pronunciation : didenay

Vivillon / said vivillon /Correct pronunciation : Viviyon

Observe:

Mine Shao

250px-620Mienshao.png

Chime Cho

250px-358Chimecho.png

Hooth Oot

163Hoothoot.png

Cure 'Em

KyuremArtwork.png

For some reason I always transplanted an extra I into Misdreavus (confusing with Mismagius)

I've always said Ledyba wrong (Lady-bah) and Ledian (Lady-ehn). Same with Misdreavus ( Mis-dri-vee-ous).

It might just be because I say it fast but I've always called the three golems "Reja-Rock", "Reja-Steel", and "Rej-Ice" (Yes, I left the i off of the j on Regice intentionally.).

To me, Rayquaza is still Ray-kwah-zah but in conversations I will use the correct pronunciation.

Virizion - I was a little ticked with the official pronunciation, 'cause it isn't the same as Cobalion and Terrakion. The official pronunciation is "Ver-RAI-zee-on" when I rather call it "Vi-RIH-zee-on".

"Ver-RAI-zee-on:" Can you hear me now? :)

But in Japanese, its pronounced "Vi-RIH-zee-on"...

I pronounced Kyurem Cure-um. (I still say that, because I can't get my head around the official one, don't ask me why).

When I was I kid I pronounced Blastoise as "Blast-oid", Rattata as "Rat-a-tat", Exeggcute as "eggs-a-cute".

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom