• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Platinum information thread

Hmmmm... In a couple videos, I've seen a almost transparent grey-ish gem... It appeared after a picture of Another Forme Giratina, and after flashing, there was Origin Forme Giratina...

The changing item for Giratina?!

Hmmmm... In a couple videos, I've seen a almost transparent grey-ish gem... It appeared after a picture of Another Forme Giratina, and after flashing, there was Origin Forme Giratina...

The changing item for Giratina?!

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I have a hunch that it will be found after you catch/defeat Giratina in the Torn World.

I like the new sprites so far. Now if only they did Physical/Special attack animations...Oh, and made Shiny Icons for Shiny Pokemon.

487.gif
487.gif

^ Y'know, like those.

I'm still excited for this game, though. Even though I don't like the Swalot Poffin game (no offence, but it creeps me out for some reason).

Oh wow. Am I the only one who thinks of MC Esher every time I see the Torn World? And Galactic's offices got a revamp, yay. Evil groups need swanky places.

(gah, I totally almost called them Galactica and was going to say the office looked like the CIC. >_> Season 4.5 cannot get here soon enough, srsly)

Anyone else find it deperessing that their Battle Frontier seems to only have 5 battle areas?

I mean they kept BF out of D/P to make Platinum look better, yet they are two short of Emerald's battle frontier. Hopefully the different battle styles make up for this.

I'm also wonderign what their symbols would be considering that the seven symbols of Emerald's Frontier was a representation of each trait that a true master would posses. Perhaps they stopped being stupid and doubled up Tactics and ability since the two symbols are basically the same thing. Guts and Bravery could also be doubled up aswell I guess.

There is a new video showing several battles in Platinum. After we see a handful of the new sprites and patches of melted snow, it becomes exruciatingly boring, so watch it at your own discretion.

The video does confirm my suspicion that only "special" trainers have animated sprites, seeing as the Lass trainer does not move and appears exactly the same as in Diamond and Pearl. As a reminder, the special trainers are those who talk during battle; they are the rival, Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Cynthia and Cyrus. Perhaps Game Freak will be kind enough to throw the Frontier Brains into the mix (unlike Palmer in Diamond and Pearl).

To those of you who thought the Sinnoh Pokédex would be expanded: the video suggests otherwise by focusing entirely on the same 151 Pokémon from Diamond and Pearl (including non-Generation IV Pokémon like Ponyta and Chansey). Whether or not Giratina appears in the Sinnoh Pokédex (it may very well not despite being available early), it appears to be a non-issue that has no bearing on the rest of the game. I would also not cross my fingers for new sprites for Pokémon that are neither in the Sinnoh Pokédex nor fall under the Generation IV category.

Finally, this game is in dire need of more new content. I cannot stress that enough.

I didn't find it to be that boring. It was a modest video showing a sample of what changes we'd see in Platinum, which I expected for a complimentary game to Diamond/Pearl.

hey, does anybody already know if you can walk around with random people in the wifi area, or if you have to have them in your pal pad, or if the other people are like in the union room, where they walk around, but to you, they are just standing there? cause that would suck. it looked like a snowy area. well, you guys could have said that earlier. i'll just look back through the posts.

hey, does anybody already know if you can walk around with random people in the wifi area, or if you have to have them in your pal pad, or if the other people are like in the union room, where they walk around, but to you, they are just standing there?
The third video on the page shows overworld characters that walk around in a small range, but also ones who don't move and exude a purple aura. It is safe to say that a player's character appears like an NPC to other players, and the aura signifies that he or she is asking to be communicated. In other words, it is essentially the same system as in the Union Room.

No word has been given on whether communication will go beyond the Friend Code system this time around. However, I doubt that such a randomized system would be used for anything but battles (and the new Wi-Fi area so far seems to be focused on mini-games). I would also wager that voice chat would be removed from random battles if they were indeed included.

If anyone is wondering what is being said in the second video, it boils down to a reiteration of previously known information. However, they do say that a lot of emphasis has been put on simplifying the gameplay for first-time players. That explains the annoying first video.

I hope they don't go over board and actually bother to give veteran players, or even just Diamond and Pearl new-timers, an incentive to buy the game.

Last edited:
Unown Lord said:
I hope they don't go over board and actually bother to give veteran players, or even just Diamond and Pearl new-timers, an incentive to buy the game.

Why? Don't want to spend the cash on another game or miss out on a great game? Or because it should/could have been done in DP?

Why? Don't want to spend the cash on another game or miss out on a great game? Or because it should/could have been done in DP?
I do want to want to buy the game and am willing to overlook the fact that it is not unquestionably great. I don't terribly mind the dawning realization that it could have all been done before, but it should at least meet that quota. At the time of my writing this message, it does not.

What about people who own neither Diamond or Pearl, though? I haven't played a Pokémon game since Silver, so Platinum will be essentially my introduction into Gen IV. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

What about people who own neither Diamond or Pearl, though? I haven't played a Pokémon game since Silver, so Platinum will be essentially my introduction into Gen IV. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

If I was in your boat, I would wait and buy Platinum. It seems like for the most part, its gonna be the same as D&P with a little extra. So why not buy it? :D

While I probably understand what Unown Lord says, the big part of me which says "Battler" is excited with the aspects of Platinum. Playing competively, I am happy to see return of the Battle Frontier. The rumored and given, I believe, Global Battle Station is another aspect I'm DEFINATELY not going to miss. Random Battles are what I am waiting for. A big thing. Now, well... The part of me which likes doing things arround, is happy with the probably updated Underground. Most importantly, the union room,and the supposed Mini-Games park. Even online Mini-Games park! Those things alone make me happy for Platinum. The minor change of storyline, the test-use of the 3D Engine and other minor changes are also welcomed. I'm already convinved for Platinum. Anything additional will be over the top! I believe that it is already much better than Emerald compared to Ruby and Sapphire.

While I probably understand what Unown Lord says, the big part of me which says "Battler" is excited with the aspects of Platinum. Playing competively, I am happy to see return of the Battle Frontier.
I am not sure what playing competitively has to do with the Battle Frontier's added facilities. The Battle Tower and its point system (allowing access to items that have great use in competitive battles) is already present in Diamond and Pearl, while the novelty of the other six facilities can be enjoyed in Emerald. Would it enhance Platinum to have four more facilities which might not all be borrowed from Emerald? Certainly. But it is an exaggeration to bring competitive play into this.

The only way it will become more competitive than the Battle Tower is if players can interact in facilities other than the Battle Tower, and preferably via Wi-Fi.

The rumored and given, I believe, Global Battle Station is another aspect I'm DEFINATELY not going to miss. Random Battles are what I am waiting for.
It is great for you that you can be so invested in what is just a rumor at this point. The fact that you even need to state a rumored feature of the game says a lot.

Now, well... The part of me which likes doing things arround, is happy with the probably updated Underground.
A lovely rumor indeed.

I believe that it is already much better than Emerald compared to Ruby and Sapphire.
You can't say that until you have played the game. Based on the features that the game is actually known to have, its contributions to the series are far more minimal than those of Emerald; even in terms of additions to Diamond and Pearl the comparison is in favor of Emerald. There need to be a lot more changes for your statement to measure up in reality and not just in your belief.

I am not sure what playing competitively has to do with the Battle Frontier's added facilities. The Battle Tower and its point system (allowing access to items that have great use in competitive battles) is already present in Diamond and Pearl, while the novelty of the other six facilities can be enjoyed in Emerald. Would it enhance Platinum to have four more facilities which might not all be borrowed from Emerald? Certainly. But it is an exaggeration to bring competitive play into this.

If you played competitively you would. Nevertheless, they are the most exciting battles in-game. I'm comparing, in fact. Believe it or not. :p

The only way it will become more competitive than the Battle Tower is if players can interact in facilities other than the Battle Tower, and preferably via Wi-Fi.

Battle Tower is competitive, but it is also boring. More facilities, with different features, and not to mention storyline would make it more interesting, I believe. :drowsy:

It is great for you that you can be so invested in what is just a rumor at this point. The fact that you even need to state a rumored feature of the game says a lot.

And it is great for you to be so cynic and boring. Frankly speaking, you act like trying to transmit religious thoughts. Honestly, your offence is so repetitive and expected, that turns out to be funny. Let me believe what I want to believe. I never said that Underground will be updated or that Random Battles are going to be on the game for sure. I used the words "rumored" and "probably." Seriously.

You can't say that until you have played the game. Based on the features that the game is actually known to have, its contributions to the series are far more minimal than those of Emerald; even in terms of additions to Diamond and Pearl the comparison is in favor of Emerald. There need to be a lot more changes for your statement to measure up in reality and not just in your belief.

• Ruby and Sapphire's storylines combined, thanks to Rayquaza. That wasn't neither groundbreaking, nor unexpected. It was welcome, but surely not anything too interesting.
  • Battle Frontier was added.
  • Match Call.
  • Gym Leader and Champion Change. Wow.
  • Deoxys Speed Forme.
  • Some things on Wireless.
  • Some Changes in Mechanics.
  • Locations and features like Battle Tents, Islands etc. added.
  • Other Minor Changes.

Not to mention that some of the things were added according to the features of FireRed and LeafGreen, like the Altering Cave, the Islands, and other locations. Now, THIS is minimal.

Platinum so far.

• Storyline changes, featuring Giratina, new characters like the Police Officer and Team Galaxy's Proffessor. Team Galactic apparently seems upgraded. Either way, just the Torn World alone is ten times better than any storyline change in Emerald.
  • Battle Frontier returns.
  • Battle Recorder makes appearence.
  • Shaymin's Sky Forme and Giratina's Origin Forme.
  • Wi-Fi Area. Fuck yeah.
  • More use of the 3D Engine, in the Torn World.
  • Regirock, Regice and Registeel with minor storyline role.
  • Other Minor Changes.

The improtant changes of Platinum are more than the ones of Emerald already, and the game is not even released. Additional features are to be expected. For example, who knows about Random Battles, or the features of Wi-Fi Area? To me, it is already much more interesting.

If you played competitively you would. Nevertheless, they are the most exciting battles in-game. I'm comparing, in fact. Believe it or not.
I am enough involved in the competitive community to know that there is a clear separation between competitive battles and in-game ones; the Battle Tower is the only facility that bears any sort of semblance to competitive battles. You are insulting yourself by arguing otherwise.

It is indisputable that the Battle Frontier was innovative in Emerald and provided variety to in-game battles. Its return in Platinum is well overdue, but unless there are worthwhile additions, it will be a repetition of Emerald (minus the innovation part).

Let me believe what I want to believe.
I am not accusing you of spreading misinformation. I simply find it annoying that you repeatedly put forth your opinion with very little to back it up.

* Ruby and Sapphire's storylines combined, thanks to Rayquaza. That wasn't neither groundbreaking, nor unexpected. It was welcome, but surely not anything too interesting.
* Battle Frontier was added.
* Match Call.
* Gym Leader and Champion Change. Wow.
* Deoxys Speed Forme.
* Some things on Wireless.
* Some Changes in Mechanics.
* Locations and features like Battle Tents, Islands etc. added.
* Other Minor Changes.

Not to mention that some of the things were added according to the features of FireRed and LeafGreen, like the Altering Cave, the Islands, and other locations. Now, THIS is minimal.
No, it is quite certainly not. Let's go over the primary contributions without conveniently omitting details:

• Both Team Magma and Team Aqua are featured as the villainous teams.
  • Groudon and Kyogre are simultaneously integrated into the plot; Rayquaza becomes prominent.
  • Double Battles are more common as different trainers can team up. Tag Battles are available outside link-cable battling.
  • A new Gym Leader - Juan - replaces Wallace in the Sootopolis Gym, while Wallace succeeds Steven (who can battled at a higher level later in the story) as the Hoenn Champion.
  • Gym Leaders may be rebattled in Double Battles, with new Pokémon on their teams that are not regularly found in Hoenn.
  • The Battle Tower is extended to the Battle Frontier, which consists of six additional facilities. Scott and the Frontier Brains are introduced. Battle Tents are added to Hoenn towns so as to let players experience new battle styles early on.
  • More than 30 Johto-region Pokémon previously unavailable within the GBA versions, are found in different locations in the game. Similarly, Mew appears on Faraway Island, though reaching the island requires a special promotional item.
  • Natures can be passed down with Everstone when breeding Pokémon. Effort Values can be lowered, and thus controlled, with certain berries.
  • New map effects are activated for numerous abilities. In particular, the Magma Armor and Flame Body abilities lower the time spent on hatching eggs.

Emerald also boasted major changes relative to Ruby and Sapphire that had first been seen in FireRed and LeafGreen (Wireless Adapter compatibility, Union Room, mini-games, Mystery Gift and the promotional items, Trainer Hill, yet another Deoxys form and an even more extensive list of Move Tutors). Moreover, the animations introduced in Crystal returned to the series in Emerald, though in a different style that was also used to some extent for the back sprites. Finally, the game also brought back the phone utility from Gold, Silver and Crystal.

Storyline changes, featuring Giratina, new characters like the Police Officer and Team Galaxy's Proffessor. Team Galactic apparently seems upgraded. Either way, just the Torn World alone is ten times better than any storyline change in Emerald.
The addition of Torn World is the only new direction in which the story is re-designed. I do agree that it is currently Platinum's sole source of innovation, but if it is a limited landscape much like any other Pokémon habitat, then its role will be accordingly minimal.

Battle Frontier returns.
That's not a contribution to the series, as it has been done before.

Battle Recorder makes appearence.
Ditto; the Frontier Pass in Emerald served the same function for Frontier battles. The Mobile Stadium feature of Crystal's Mobile Adapter did the same in regard to link battles.

Shaymin's Sky Forme and Giratina's Origin Forme.
That one is a re-used concept, which was introduced FireRed and LeafGreen and later applied to Emerald. Platinum does not get brownie points for using different Pokémon.

Wi-Fi Area. Fuck yeah.
A Wi-Fi Union Room is just that - a Union Room made to suit players who rely on their Wi-Fi connection. The mini-games have never been the series' asset, nor is that likely to change in Platinum.

More use of the 3D Engine, in the Torn World.
Again, if it is a limited landscape that is not worth re-visiting, then it barely re-defines the game.

Regirock, Regice and Registeel with minor storyline role.
A role which can only be activated by means of yet another promotional event, and one that may very well be limited to a capture sequence. At least Emerald's Faraway Island gave Japanese players the opportunity to obtain the elusive Mew, which had been previously unavailable in the GBA versions.

If the Regis and Regigigas factored into the storyline much like Unown did in Crystal, that would be a different story altogether. But alas...

Additional features are to be expected.
One can only hope.

The improtant changes of Platinum are more than the ones of Emerald already, and the game is not even released.
A remarkably biased statement if I ever saw one, especially when considering that even the currently reported changes cannot be evaluated before the game is released.

Did your Emerald cartridge zap you into oblivion as a result of some electromagnetic anomaly, or what?

Last edited:
I am enough involved in the competitive community to know that there is a clear separation between competitive battles and in-game ones; the Battle Tower is the only facility that bears any sort of semblance to competitive battles. You are insulting yourself by arguing otherwise.

That is actually true and anyone who actually competitively battles knows its not the same. The only thing they both share is the fact that you may want to EV train and breed for IVs to get far. Generally their rules are different so conventional strategies may not always work, and if you get hung up on competitive battling too much and everything in it becomes predictable, expecting the same kind of rpedictability in the Battle Tower may lead to a defeat (though its not as if BT itself doesn't become predictable after awhile).

Also, until further information is given, I also agree that Emerald has brought to the table more things than any other "third-version" games in terms of upgrading their predecessors, and the entire metagame itself.

I never said that Battle Tower is less competitive than any facility of the Battle Frontier; what I said is that other facilities of it are more competitive, or at least unique and interesting compared to other in-game battles. In any case, I don't see a reason for Battle Frontier not being welcome. Being or not an old scheme of the Pokemon games, it is still great to have it back.

It is indisputable that the Battle Frontier was innovative in Emerald and provided variety to in-game battles. Its return in Platinum is well overdue, but unless there are worthwhile additions, it will be a repetition of Emerald (minus the innovation part).

Well, you obviously have misjudged my comments. All this time, I'm saying that Diamond is more updated compared to Diamond & Pearl, than Emerald is compared to Ruby & Sapphire. Repeating schemes that appeared in Emerald or not is not a matter that really changes anything on what I'm saying. You probably see things quite coldly. The fact that Battle Frontier was in Emerald doesn't mean that it would be interesting in Emerald only. It obviously will not be the same Battle Frontier in first place.

I am not accusing you of spreading misinformation. I simply find it annoying that you repeatedly put forth your opinion with very little to back it up.

I would say that the fact that you find my expressing my opinion annoying summarises it all, but I will just say that rumors are nevertheless difficult to backup. If there is anything that can make a rumor stand, you do know that it is most likely that I have mentioned it. While I do recognise your knowledge and such, I am afraid that I am in no lower level, hence you are no one to tell me if I will hype for a game if not and what I should hope and expect. This is just me wanting random battles, live with it.

No, it is quite certainly not. Let's go over the primary contributions without conveniently omitting details:

Emerald also boasted major changes relative to Ruby and Sapphire that had first been seen in FireRed and LeafGreen (Wireless Adapter compatibility, Union Room, mini-games, Mystery Gift and the promotional items, Trainer Hill, yet another Deoxys form and an even more extensive list of Move Tutors). Moreover, the animations introduced in Crystal returned to the series in Emerald, though in a different style that was also used to some extent for the back sprites. Finally, the game also brought back the phone utility from Gold, Silver and Crystal.

I doubt it that there is anything different than what I mentioned in the list. Of course I omitted the details, I namely reported the most important changes. Nature Passing and egg hatching time - halfing is change in mechanics for example. While I do acknowledge it, since it saved up some at least 150 hours for me, and even did mention it, as part of "Mechanics Changes," I'm afraid that something respective can't happen in Platinum. I mean; the battle, breeding, training, and you-name-it system is pretty much perfect right now. So, there's no one to be blamed for lac of something like this. Not to mention that Platinum will definately have more details and possibly additional changes as well.

If I have no right to hype for it, then you have no right to critique it either. The "as of now" thing is old.

That's not a contribution to the series, as it has been done before.

Ditto; the Frontier Pass in Emerald served the same function for Frontier battles. The Mobile Stadium feature of Crystal's Mobile Adapter did the same in regard to link battles.

While the latter will possibly work differently in Platinum, like I said earlier, I do not recall doing anything but comparing Platinum with DP and Emerald with RS. For minimal contribution to the series I can agree "as of now." But no, I'm not comparing Platinum with Emerald, and never intended to do so. If things from Emerald that were not passed in DP are added on Platinum, I see it as an upgrade to DP, if not to the Pokemon series.

That one is a re-used concept, which was introduced FireRed and LeafGreen and later applied to Emerald. Platinum does not get brownie points for using different Pokémon.

Once again, the same things apply. I don't even like Shaymin's Sky Forme in first place, just reported an additional change.

A Wi-Fi Union Room is just that - a Union Room made to suit players who rely on their Wi-Fi connection. The mini-games have never been the series' asset, nor is that likely to change in Platinum.

Which makes it great.

And hope for mini-games still exists. I remember a certain concept art with the area were the Swalot machine is. I can recall a Pikachu and Torchic car on the same art. While this does not confirm mini-games in either form, it still gives at an at least small reason to consider the mini-games thing a supposed feature.

A role which can only be activated by means of yet another promotional event, and one that may very well be limited to a capture sequence. At least Emerald's Faraway Island gave Japanese players the opportunity to obtain the elusive Mew, which had been previously unavailable in the GBA versions.

Not so difficult to find an event Regigigas on Wi-Fi, but I also do agree that Regis' role will be the same of that in RSE at most.

One can only hope.

Like I would say if you could understand Greek, "Ανα μπράβο!"

I do hope, you do hope. Everyone hopes. I like hoping. I don't care if I will be ultimately dissapointed. Not to mention I believe I won't. But I will not condemn this before its release. In fact I won't be able to be on internet until next summer, starting from next month, but yeah. My opinion is not biased, it is just different than your's. Live with it, your opinion is nothing more than your opinion. Learn to at least respect other people's ones.

Did your Emerald cartridge zap you into oblivion as a result of some electromagnetic anomaly, or what?

Ok, that was lame. But either way, happy to see that you practiced your humor a little... :p

Not so difficult to find an event Regigigas on Wi-Fi, but I also do agree that Regis' role will be the same of that in RSE at most.

The question remains then, is it just the Pokemon that activates the event or is there something a little extra?

And the whole "not so difficult" thing is such an understatement.

I still find ommiting things from D/P that they had from Emerald to make Platinum look better is sad and it does not get any points from me.

To clarify, I was annoyed by your claim that Platinum has already proven itself to have more in store for Generation IV than Emerald had for Generation III. I wasn't merely shooting down your opinion because I thought it lacked basis in fact; I was defending my opinion that Emerald has set a very high standard for improvements to an existing generation. It is simply impossible to expect Platinum to surpass that even prior to its release.

Some of those modifications were lost in the translation to Diamond and Pearl. Platinum can now benefit from that, but should that fact be celebrated? Other modifications, such as an alternate form for a legendary Pokémon, are very easy to incorporate over and over again. Then there are the the more focal changes, in the vein of Double/Tag Battles and new mechanics, that have become part of the series in the entirety rather than being exclusive to third games.

The latter kind is the most important one. It is not enough for Platinum to be some wholesome experience for Pokémon enthusiasts that merges elements from previous games with the current generation. The game should also offer a touch of innovation that adds depth to the series.

Outrage said:
The question remains then, is it just the Pokemon that activates the event or is there something a little extra?
It is most likely the Classic Ribbon, which sets the promotional Regigigas apart from the one caught in Diamond and Pearl.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom