• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Rhythm-Action Game?

Yay or nay on the idea?

• Yay.

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Neigh.

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
vee2x_paradox said:
Well pretty much it can be battle oriented whilst you try to control the rhythms and whatnot and depending on whether or not you do well with the tune you fail or win the battle...

I'd actually like it if they incorporated that into the main RPG series instead.

But apparently people like the horribly tedious and boring battle system that's been in place for 10+ years.

I had always thought a video game based on the Meowth's Party song could be pretty cool...though it would probably wind up being a lot like Guitar Hero.

What if they let the player use both a guitar and a DDR-style mat at the same time? Just keep the pace down a tad at the beginning, and we have a winner.

I'd actually like it if they incorporated that into the main RPG series instead.

But apparently people like the horribly tedious and boring battle system that's been in place for 10+ years.
Well, we all know that if your battle system doesn't have annoying gimmicks, it's tedious and boring! I agree that the battle system could stand to be a bit more complex, but stupid gimmicks aren't the answer. And bear in mind that this series IS aimed towards small children, who are, more likely than not, content with a regular old turned-based battle system. But let's not get the thread sidetracked, now.

Getting back to the topic, such a game might be fun, but rhythm games are a dime a dozen nowadays and slapping a Pokemon theme onto one of them isn't going to make it that special. I suppose if it was something more creative than a DDR/Guitar Hero-style game with Pokemon songs and characters slapped onto it, it might be worthwhile, but I somehow doubt we'd get too much of that.

No, the battle system is tedious and boring because it's...well, tedious and boring. It's a chore to battle in Pocket Monsters games. At least having a music theme in there would prevent the "tap A button endlessly without looking a the screen while you do something more interesting" thing that's been going on with the last few games.

Also, Pokemon has found its way into other rhythm games before. The Japanese versions of Donkey Konga 1-3 had songs from Pocket Monsters, the American version of Donkey Konga 1 has a Pokemon song, and the newest version of that taiko game features Together. Isn't there also a "Butterfly (Pikachu Remix)" song in DDR?

No, the battle system is tedious and boring because it's...well, tedious and boring. It's a chore to battle in Pocket Monsters games. At least having a music theme in there would prevent the "tap A button endlessly without looking a the screen while you do something more interesting" thing that's been going on with the last few games.

Also, Pokemon has found its way into other rhythm games before. The Japanese versions of Donkey Konga 1-3 had songs from Pocket Monsters, the American version of Donkey Konga 1 has a Pokemon song, and the newest version of that taiko game features Together. Isn't there also a "Butterfly (Pikachu Remix)" song in DDR?

I admit, it’s pretty tedious if you’re just fighting NPCs in-game, but with the new Wi-Fi system implemented, and the whole NetBattle thing (The latter of which I have yet to check out), the fights now actually require lots of thinking and strategizing.

I think it would be a good idea. I have an idea, though.

Suppose iNiS gets a license from Game Freak to make a Pokemon Rhythm-Action game. Basically, the whole thing could be set up exactly the same way as Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan. However, it would be, story-wise, like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. You get to choose your starting Pokemon, either through preference or a personality test, and get to pick two partners. Then, you land in a hub world, say a large city like Goldenrod or Saffron. From there, you and your friends join up with an underground group of Pokemon "Encouragers". There is a job board, and from there you can see a list of jobs to do, which are accompanied by 20 or so songs, and you are to take one of these. Depending on how experienced you are, you will get harder jobs. The premise is that you will help people or Pokemon overcome everyday(or maybe not-so-everyday) hassles, such as a firefighter who needs so save a baby in a burning house, or a Coordinator on their first Contest. These "missions" are accompanied by songs that you play out EBA style, tapping on the DS's screen.

A sample mission would be that a Trainer has just gotten beat by a Gym Leader, and pretty badly, too. When the Trainer is distraught and gives up hope, he/she yells for help, and your trio of Pokemon arrive on the scene. Your characters then appear, dancing to Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", while the Trainer regains their courage, battles many wild Pokemon to help them level up, and then ultimately beats the Gym Leader. There are certain benchmarks you need to achieve, like in EBA/Ouendan, to progress the song. For instance, if you are doing particularly well on a segment, the Trainer will win successfully against a Beedrill. If you were doing badly up until then, a swarm of Beedrill will attack your Trainer, and you will fail that portion.

Eventually, a global threat will arise, and every character that you encouraged will return for cameos, while your Pokemon trio dances, either to repel invading aliens/Pokemon from the sea, or dances to calm natural disasters that plague the world.

But this is my idea. Anyone care to comment?

I'd rather have humans dance. And you stole the final stage from the iNiS games! >:O

I'd rather have humans dance. And you stole the final stage from the iNiS games! >:O

Here are some counter-points.

1)Can you think of any token humans that would really work to convey the message of the Pokemon world, and not just be making an EBA/Ouendan clone? No, I'd have to go with the Pokemon dancing. It just makes more sense to me.

2)The whole shebang was a "What if iNiS got the license." It's how the games iNiS has made so far end, why change it? I didn't really hear anybody complain about the endings to Chunsoft's Mystery Dungeon games. (Except for those of us who cried - Guilty)

1) New characters could be designed for the game. Spin-offs often have new characters. For example, Ranger introduces Solana and Lunick. Also, having Pokemon dance is somewhat strange, as different Pokemon have different bodies, and it's probably easier to animate humans, not to mention that I prefer human dance.

2) I'd rather have a running plot, but I guess it works okay, with the model iNiS has set up already.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom