• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A hybrid is still a regular console. Just imagine a 3DS with HDMI out. Nothing complex. The Wii U was more difficult.

According to eurogamer rumour, stars was in development with S and M. So it has atleast 6 months of development. Their HD models are already ready.

Tip for you: 'It has never been done before' is one of the worst arguments you can make here.
I just saying that for the last 20 years, they always did a pokemon on the handheld, not the console, though on the spin-off game, it make since. Okay you're right that was the worst argument I given. We'll likely to see a pokemon game on Switch

Yeah, but they never did a main series game on a console, but they did pokemon spin-off games on console. Nintendo was use to develop a pokemon game on handheld

The messed and yet beautiful part of this all is that we have no idea what will happen. The Pokemon Co./Gamefreak have been switching things up on us so we really cannot be sure what they will do. Will they have a break year like after RS and DP? Will they go straight to remakes like after XY? Will they cut this generation short? Will they jump systems during the same generations? We don't know yet. I personally don't care I just want more games. :)

A hybrid is still a regular console. Just imagine a 3DS with HDMI out. Nothing complex. The Wii U was more difficult.

According to eurogamer rumour, stars was in development with S and M. So it has atleast 6 months of development. Their HD models are already ready.

I agree, but I think it depends on how GF/TPCi approach the game. If its an enhanced port than they can use the models with updated textures, and added moves, items, forms, story plots, etc. If they start from the ground up with high polygon models, then it might take longer. (I don't know why they would do this if its related to SM, but I don't understand a lot of what they do.)

I agree, but I think it depends on how GF/TPCi approach the game. If its an enhanced port than they can use the models with updated textures, and added moves, items, forms, story plots, etc. If they start from the ground up with high polygon models, then it might take longer. (I don't know why they would do this if its related to SM, but I don't understand a lot of what they do.)

They already have high res models. They were ready for the change, they just used downscaled models for the 3DS so they don't have to re do them in the future.

I just saying that for the last 20 years, they always did a pokemon on the handheld, not the console, though on the spin-off game, it make since. Okay you're right that was the worst argument I given. We'll likely to see a pokemon game on Switch
Nintendo has already won the handheld wars and will continue winning, (since handhelds lost popularity outside of Nintendo because of no real incentive). The only reason Pokemon started off as a handheld was because of the business necessity of the time, kids would want to bring the game everywhere, and they wanted to trade locally; however, these days those strategies don't work as well, because kids can easily just download an emulator and play it anywhere as well. (I am not endorsing emulation). With a console you just can't do that. So the Switch would be a perfect device to prevent piracy from running quickly. (All of this and the fact that Pokemon is starting to have small competition).

They already have high res models. They were ready for the change, they just used downscaled models for the 3DS so they don't have to re do them in the future.
Hey I'm not trying to argue. I agree with you. All that I was getting at is that they could improve the models and round them out more with more polygons. Also, even if they don't polish the pokemon models, they might want to polish the background models for a hd system. There's this video where someone is "playing" the game in HD. In that video, around the 7 min mark specifically, you can see the mons have sharp edges when they should be more round, and the are lots of sharp edges in the background. On the 3ds its pretty unnoticeable, in action on a switch it would probably be unnoticeable. On a tv it might not look so good, but that might not matter. What I was saying, is that the Pokemon might just use the current models with updated textures, or they may want to polish the models so that they look better on TVs if there are going to be games on the switch. I hope this makes sense.

oh god, i don't want them to release a pokemon game on the switch just yet; they're all sold out where i live and it's really expensive in the first place.

i hope if, whatever they do, they release it on the 3DS (like b2w2) or at least dual port it.

if we do get stars then it'll be our first "sister" game since 9 years ago (pokemon platinum)! imo we should've got a Z version but oh well

Last edited:
I think that TPCi not wanting to announce a game a full month before they actually start covering it makes more sense than assuming a gap year is upon us. Again, we will only be able to conclude that if a spin-off game is announced instead.

B2W2, ORAS and SM were all revealed with barely any information (SM were the worst offenders). A departure from that wouldn't hurt anyone.

Spin-off came out on the same year as main games before. So basically you are saying that you are not giving up on a mainline game until after E3 even though they always reveal games beforehand.

I don't see how that month of blind excitement hurts THEM. Sure it makes us impatient but teaser reveal trailers generate a lot of hype.

Yea, I cannot wait to go back and see how many people have changed their tune about Stars this month. I've been talking about it since SUMO released, and have been predominantly berated for it.

@BlindCaptainDrip if the writing is on the wall I will admit I was wrong but given the name of this thread (and the poll) I think I'm the one in the minority. Also don't think I'm wrong for the reasons I repeated I don't think it's worth it for Gamefreak to make a switch game before gen VIII. However if there is a third version called Stars I will not admit defeat because that isn't the part of stars I object to. I object to the idea that that Gamefreak will change platforms midgen or blur make a gen 6.5 7.5 etc.

If the do make a third version I hope they give us different starter(s). Maybe since the main character is from Kanto maybe they can do what the Orre games did just have you start with a Pokemon as soon as you begin the game.

I'm not sure I find what these guys are saying very useful. It's clear they aren't the most knowledgeable about the franchise other than the general idea and obvious stuff. They seem to be taking the rumor a little too literal. The rumor isn't that the game is actually CALLED Stars, but rather than it is the code name of whatever the game is. Plus they seem to be coming to conclusions that don't even matter. Also I'd wager that whatever Stars ends up being, it won't be what people are expecting. The rumor seems to make it sound like it's just a regular "3rd version", but to me that just doesn't make any sense. GF has repeatedly said in the past (since BW2 at least) that they want to start keeping people guessing. That they want to surprise their fans and that regular "3rd versions" (like Grey would have been for BW) are kind of expected and boring. Why in the world would they back track on those statements now of all times? If they want to make people buy a game for the Switch which will likely be slightly more expensive than a a game for the 3DS (plus the actual price of the console) then they need to make it worth while. I for one don't think a 3rd version or port of SM is worth the jump. If it was a brand new story with a brand new adventure then I could see that. Otherwise they may as well just wait until their natural break in generations to make the jump and they can just start being on the Switch with Gen 8.

Spin-off came out on the same year as main games before. So basically you are saying that you are not giving up on a mainline game until after E3 even though they always reveal games beforehand.
We're talking about gap years... As in years which only had spin-off games.

SMD was announced in late May. I see no reason why that can't apply to a main series game this year. If we get a spin-off game instead, then so be it, but it is too early to say that the likelihood has changed.

We still have a month left before E3. Nothing says that an announcement will only be made there and then.

I was one of the main doubters of Pokemon Stars, and I still kinda am right now, judging by the fact that the only thing we can base off of are rumors and the past. If nothing comes in the next month or so, I'm saying that's it, no more Stars, at least until next year.

Back
Top Bottom