• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's quite an assumption to make but it's Pokemon so not like any story is a rich story.
Black/White, Platinum, Sun/Moon had some of the best stories ever of the franchise. Pokemon can have a rich story if done correctly. Stars would help with this by being the test for the Switch and the games after that would be better due to previous experience.

Black/White, Platinum, Sun/Moon had some of the best stories ever of the franchise. Pokemon can have a rich story if done correctly. Stars would help with this by being the test for the Switch and the games after that would be better due to previous experience.

Ehhh Pokemon and rich story are kind of an oxymoron. It is always a bare bones story trying to be something it's not.

Ehhh Pokemon and rich story are kind of an oxymoron. It is always a bare bones story trying to be something it's not.

Though I majorly think that it's up to opinions, but it is majorly agreed that BW2, and SM have nice stories, while XY had a lacklustre one (as I have seen on many threads).
I haven't played SM, but based on what I know of the story, it surely looks nice by Pokemon Standards.

Though I majorly think that it's up to opinions, but it is majorly agreed that BW2, and SM have nice stories, while XY had a lacklustre one (as I have seen on many threads).
I haven't played SM, but based on what I know of the story, it surely looks nice by Pokemon Standards.

Indeed, Sun and Moon has a deep story, and lots of attention to detail.

[QUOTE="BubbleHearts, post: 6096107, member: 84740"]Sun and Moon on the Switch wouldn't have had such a rich story such as BW. It would have been more like XY with shiny new graphics and a very lucklustre story.

Releasing Stars for the Switch would be a huge risk, yes. But they have to take the risk sometime. Rather sooner rather than later.[/QUOTE]

If they can put Stars on the Switch within a year it would've been no problem for them to delay SM a year and make it a Switch game to begin with.

And the risk isn't transitioning to the Switch. They pretty much have to do that at some point. The risk is putting a third version/port of a game everyone's already played already on a brand new console, which is unnecessary and benefits too few people to be worth the investment. The upgrade would be less risky with a new generation that sells much higher and is more likely to draw people in.

[QUOTE="BubbleHearts, post: 6096107, member: 84740"]Sun and Moon on the Switch wouldn't have had such a rich story such as BW. It would have been more like XY with shiny new graphics and a very lucklustre story.

Releasing Stars for the Switch would be a huge risk, yes. But they have to take the risk sometime. Rather sooner rather than later.

If they can put Stars on the Switch within a year it would've been no problem for them to delay SM a year and make it a Switch game to begin with.[/QUOTE]

But then they' be leaving 3DS with only Gen VI, they usually do 2 gens on a console.
And the risk isn't transitioning to the Switch. They pretty much have to do that at some point. The risk is putting a third version/port of a game everyone's already played already on a brand new console, which is unnecessary and benefits too few people to be worth the investment. The upgrade would be less risky with a new generation that sells much higher and is more likely to draw people in.

Making a Port costs VERY less. Also, they don't need to focus on the story, so all the effort could go into shiny new graphics, and it'd be a win-win for everyone. A game with less cost and less profit. It would also help to set up the Switch to success.

Also, the first game on a console (currently) ends up being graphics focused with lacklustre story. But, with experience from making Stars, they can now focus on the Storyline more, and give us something up to BW standard. Again, a Win-Win for everyone.

If they can put Stars on the Switch within a year it would've been no problem for them to delay SM a year and make it a Switch game to begin with.

Sun and Moon's quality wouldn't have been so high if they were released for the Switch instead. We would have had another XY-situation on our hands.

A third version is very necessary. It would take the blunt of the Switch by being the first Pokemon on it. The following Pokemon games would then be better and more high quality.

So Stars would actually help improve Gen VIII.

Pokemon standards aren't high. Compared to several games in the world, Pokemon is probably in the bottom rung of story.

Anyway the game just needs to have graphics, the gameplay needs to be responsive and it will be fine for what it needs to be.

Pokemon standards aren't high. Compared to several games in the world, Pokemon is probably in the bottom rung of story.

Anyway the game just needs to have graphics, the gameplay needs to be responsive and it will be fine for what it needs to be.
Pokemon isn't stellar at stories. That is why I added 'by Pokemon standards' in the end of the sentence in the first place XD

Also, the anniversary and Go didn't really have much of an effect on SM, it's selling roughly the same as other Pokemon games.
Is that so?

However, they are still capable of creating different experiences. There's any number of remakes or sequels they could make instead and still stick to their yearly schedule.
History suggests that they can only manage two different experiences per generation, and that's without even accounting for new hardware. Releasing a third version this year is okay if they have something bigger planned for next year.

Sure, I'd agree with you if Stars were the last Generation VII game. But I see little reason to expect that.

Last edited:
But then they' be leaving 3DS with only Gen VI, they usually do 2 gens on a console.

No they don't usually do 2 gens on a console. The only other time that's happened is with the DS, which had an abnormally long lifespan of 7 years. 2 gens per console is the exception, not the rule.

Making a Port costs VERY less. Also, they don't need to focus on the story, so all the effort could go into shiny new graphics, and it'd be a win-win for everyone. A game with less cost and less profit. It would also help to set up the Switch to success.

You're looking at the situation all wrong. New generations aren't really a choice, we get new generations regardless. The decision is between having a third version on the same hardware and having a third version on different hardware.

Also, the first game on a console (currently) ends up being graphics focused with lacklustre story. But, with experience from making Stars, they can now focus on the Storyline more, and give us something up to BW standard. Again, a Win-Win for everyone.

Sun and Moon's quality wouldn't have been so high if they were released for the Switch instead. We would have had another XY-situation on our hands.

A third version is very necessary. It would take the blunt of the Switch by being the first Pokemon on it. The following Pokemon games would then be better and more high quality.

So Stars would actually help improve Gen VIII.

Except this is the point of third games in the first place, they're meant to be iterations of the new generation that improve on them with new features, better story, and all of the usual improvements. They make money by reusing assets and putting out another game for cheap. Whereas new generations are more experimental and make larger changes, and often get more sales as a result. Reversing the roles defeats the entire purpose of this strategy and loses them money.

So complaining about having another XY situation is missing the point, new generations are supposed to be like that and it's the third versions that provide the high quality experiences with the better story. But wait, we didn't get such an experience like that because they wanted to "shake things up". Only this isn't a constructive shake up that gives us something better than we expected, it's very much a destructive shake up that throws things out of whack for no real benefit (more of a detriment really, because we lost a potential third version/sequel from the deal).

No they don't usually do 2 gens on a console. The only other time that's happened is with the DS, which had an abnormally long lifespan of 7 years. 2 gens per console is the exception, not the rule.
The 3DS will be replaced after 6 years, which is merely three months shy of the DS' lifespan. Also, Nintendo categorize the GBC under the Game Boy, so the only solid example of a system having just one generation is the GBA.

You got it backwards.

Reversing the roles defeats the entire purpose of this strategy and loses them money.
Just stop. You have no way of knowing that a combination of Kalos sequels for the 3DS and Sun and Moon for the Switch would have been better sales-wise. Sure, it would have been better for the Switch's first year, but for Game Freak? Highly debatable.

because we lost a potential third version/sequel from the deal).
Very few people care anymore.

Last edited:
Huh, I've missed that news. That's certainly sounding like they'd keep it around for a while, but some articles like this seem to be suggesting a new console could come late this year. I'm not sure which seems more likely.

Given that their upgraded consoles (PS4 Pro and Xbox One S, I believe) just came out in late 2016, I would be slightly surprised if Sony and Microsoft's next consoles released any earlier than holiday 2018, though I think holiday 2019 is more likely. I could be wrong though. Holiday 2018 would mean that the upgraded consoles would last 2 years before being outdone. Personally, I'm just sticking with my original PS4 until the PS5 haha

The Xbox One is getting a vast upgrade this year. The new system is supposed to share the same games as the current Microsoft systems, but it's a bigger leap than the PS4 Pro or the New 3DS. I believe that it's supposed to be akin to a fairly powerful PC for 4K gaming.

The only aspects of SM's storyline that I really want to explore is Zygarde's role and Lillie's journey to Kanto, neither of which requires a return to Alola.

I don't see how a return to Alola would address Lillie's Kanto journey, except as an afterthought. It is not feasible for a third version, at any rate.

Back
Top Bottom