• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they bring pokemon to switch it would have to be bigger and better.

Was this a serious remark? Of course it has to be bigger and better. Every game that every company makes, ever aims to be bigger and better.

Also, I really don't understand why people make the 'it is a home console first' statement. That is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter who says it is a console first, because that does NOT change the fact that it is still a PORTABLE CONSOLE. There is absolutely no reason why Pokémon cannot move to it. If Pokémon goes to Switch, it will do everything that it can on a usual handheld console. This argument needs to end, because it is a weakly created argument.

I agree entirely there, since Switch can bring a new audience of console gamers to Pokemon. But I guess from a company's standpoint, it may be too much of a bother to add Stars as well as Sun and Moon to the Switch.
From their point of view, I guess they'll be focusing more on Gen 4 Remake on the Switch instead of dragging on SM for Switch.

But it cannot be negated that we're in for a main Pokemon game on the Switch, due to the HD Pikipek model. The three possibilities, out of which one HAS to happen are-
1. We get a Alola game on the Switch ('cause they showed us a Pikipek Hd model, not Starly/anything else)
2. Non-Alola game on the Switch (marking the Pikipek thing as a co-incidence p)
3. A Pokemon game on a New 3DS successor which works in Hd, and has power enough to accommodate ALL those running models (which is the unlikeliest).

Combining them, a main Pokemon game is a must.

I could see them doing #2 and dragging in the Pikipek as being present. It wouldn't take much of a stretch, and it would also give them the model basis for future games.

I never mentioned anything regarding the future at all, just facts bout what we already know about Nintendo Switch.

The only thing you mentioned in regards to development talks is that someone said they had to rethink the way they do portable gaming. However, that is true with every new handheld they do. Every new handheld they introduce has been different from one another, and although this may be even more of a change than before (which is expected), that doesn't mean anything. They should be rethinking thinks, otherwise they're stuck with the same type of developments and that will prohibit growth.

The fact of the matter is, Nintendo Switch is complete hybrid. No matter how anyone refers to it, or reviews it, it is a hybrid console. It is completely portable in all ways, and it won't be difficult for Gamefreak to implement all kinds of games (including Pokémon) to the Switch. The only adjustment would be going back to single screen, and as seeing that worked fine for years, likely won't be a problem for Gamefreak to handle.

Also, in regards to your comment above suggesting SM should be ported to Switch before Stars is released, is there really a point in doing that? Stars is supposed to be the third version of SM, so it would have to be more different than any previous third version game to bother porting SM first. I don't think it is necessary at all. Stars on it's own will be perfect enough to test out Nintendo Switch before gen VIII is released on it.

The point of the matter is, we don't know what the current plans are for Pokemon on the Switch. Moving the main series over there is a key item, but that does rely on assuming the Switch is going to succeed. Nintendo used to be very good about consoles, and we have them to thank for pretty much inventing the video game industry, but recently they have a very spotty record of successful home consoles. After the disaster that was the Wii U, it's natural for developers to be leery of developing for a system that might have a high chance of failure.

And, while it is true they have to rethink the technical aspects with every game, they haven't had to rethink the overall development strategy. Take Sun and Moon. It's effectively the closed routes, no real variation, challenge gym trainers to move on and eventually defeat the Elite Four mechanism they've had every single game. The exploration of routes is still just as limited now as it was back in Gen 1, including some of the very same gimmicks for limiting that exploration. Part of the issue is that the handhelds have never had very much memory for video games compared to the consoles.

The Switch doesn't work like that. It's pretty much a home console you can take anywhere. Developing for it is nothing like developing for any of the Game Boy, DS, or 3DS families. You can do full scale, 3D worlds with open-world sandbox exploration on the Switch like you can on the Xbox One or the Playstation 4, yet unlike those you can take the Switch with you. This requires a change on every level, including possibly even the basic design of how exploration works. It's very likely Gen 8, if released on the Switch, will be a complete change in how Pokemon games work.

Also, the idea of porting SM to the Switch is to update game engine and graphics. Game engine and graphics are pretty much the barrier to entry that Game Freak has for releasing Stars on the Switch. Releasing SM first would allow them to go ahead and address that technical hurdle without having to spend extra development time on any other aspect of the game, which would leave Stars open for technical improvements, new features, and more storyline. It would also fully open up the Switch for Gen 8, as it gives Game Freak the experience they need to make that generation of Pokemon games and adapt them properly to the Switch.

1. When did the 'Pokemon chief' say that? He said that 'Switch is the future."
2. Nope. No review says that. The only 'fragile' part of Switch is the kickstand. Nothing else is said the be fragile or cheaply made. The reviews even say that Switch has an apple product like quality to it. I suggest you to go and read the latest reviews on the Switch. It appears as if you're hating at it.

Yeah, I have to agree. Even the negative reviews I read cited the thing as being durable. Honestly, the only barrier to taking it around seems to be size, and that's only because some people have tiny pockets. But if any of these people carry around a tablet, then carrying around the Switch would not be a change in tactics.

Also, I really don't understand why people make the 'it is a home console first' statement. That is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter who says it is a console first, because that does NOT change the fact that it is still a PORTABLE CONSOLE. There is absolutely no reason why Pokémon cannot move to it. If Pokémon goes to Switch, it will do everything that it can on a usual handheld console. This argument needs to end, because it is a weakly created argument.

It matters from a game development perspective. Specifically, in what games are made for the Switch. If it's viewed purely as a home game system, then the majority of the games made for it are going to be games that people stay at home to play. That, in turn, would become a barrier to Pokemon moving to the Switch because the majority of their customer base in Japan simply won't move to the new console.

If, on the other hand, it's mostly treated as a portable console, Game Freak will be effectively forced to move to it just to keep up with the fan base.

If it's treated as a true hybrid, then we'll see a mixture of games for the system and even entirely new games pop up that exist solely to take advantage of that hybrid nature. This is the best of both worlds.

It comes down not to what the system's technical capabilities are, but how it's going to be treated by Nintendo and other developers. So far, most of the games Nintendo has trumpeted as coming to the Switch are home console games; they do have a mix of portable and phone games as well, but those are not getting nearly the focus.

And, while it is true they have to rethink the technical aspects with every game, they haven't had to rethink the overall development strategy. Take Sun and Moon. It's effectively the closed routes, no real variation, challenge gym trainers to move on and eventually defeat the Elite Four mechanism they've had every single game. The exploration of routes is still just as limited now as it was back in Gen 1, including some of the very same gimmicks for limiting that exploration. Part of the issue is that the handhelds have never had very much memory for video games compared to the consoles.

The Switch doesn't work like that. It's pretty much a home console you can take anywhere. Developing for it is nothing like developing for any of the Game Boy, DS, or 3DS families. You can do full scale, 3D worlds with open-world sandbox exploration on the Switch like you can on the Xbox One or the Playstation 4, yet unlike those you can take the Switch with you. This requires a change on every level, including possibly even the basic design of how exploration works. It's very likely Gen 8, if released on the Switch, will be a complete change in how Pokemon games work.

This is blatantly false, handhelds have had several games that are more open ended and exploration based, such as Super Mario 64 DS and numerous Zelda games. Pokemon's linearity stems entirely from Game Freak's vision for the series, not any technical limitations. Also, 5th gen is a definite counterpoint to the idea that Game Freak never had to rethink their development strategy or limit exploration. Before then the games were larger, had more opportunities to branch off the main path, and had more content. Then with people complaining about region design and the rise of the mobile market, Game Freak decided to simplify everything and make the game more linear and lighter on content.

It matters from a game development perspective. Specifically, in what games are made for the Switch. If it's viewed purely as a home game system, then the majority of the games made for it are going to be games that people stay at home to play. That, in turn, would become a barrier to Pokemon moving to the Switch because the majority of their customer base in Japan simply won't move to the new console.

If, on the other hand, it's mostly treated as a portable console, Game Freak will be effectively forced to move to it just to keep up with the fan base.

If it's treated as a true hybrid, then we'll see a mixture of games for the system and even entirely new games pop up that exist solely to take advantage of that hybrid nature. This is the best of both worlds.

It comes down not to what the system's technical capabilities are, but how it's going to be treated by Nintendo and other developers. So far, most of the games Nintendo has trumpeted as coming to the Switch are home console games; they do have a mix of portable and phone games as well, but those are not getting nearly the focus.

It's worth mentioning that part of the reason we're seeing so many home console-like games on the Switch is because of the situation with the Wii U. The Wii U sold so miserably that Nintendo essentially cut it short and started moving Wii U projects onto the Switch, so some of these titles like Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 were likely intended to be Wii U games that they moved to the Switch so they'd have a better chance of selling. More than likely, Nintendo views it as a system that can take the role of both the 3DS and the Wii U, it's just that we haven't seen the kind of games you'd see on the 3DS right now because the 3DS is still going strong.

As far as how Game Freak views the Switch, I came across this article:

Pokémon chief says approach to games needs to change if brought to Switch

“Pokemon has been about being portable, but now there is the Switch, which is a portable home console, so it has a bigger screen and higher specs than we’re used to,” Ishihara said, as translated by NeoGAF user StreetsAhead. “Apart from main games, we make stuff like Pokkén [Tournament] and [Pokémon Mystery] Dungeon, so I am thinking we should make games that suit the Switch, but at this time I cannot confirm any projects.”

Ishihara added that if they were to develop games primarily for the Switch, it would have to be different from the way they’ve handled making portable games in the past, but wouldn’t elaborate. It’s still unclear if the company intends to release a game like Pokémon Sun or Moon for the console. The Switch may act like the GameCube, Wii and Wii U, which became the go-to consoles for offshoot Pokémon titles like Pokémon Rumble, Pokémon Battle Revolution and PokéPark Wii: Pikachu’s Adventure.

PR isn't always reliable because they tend to say things people want to hear, but from the sounds of things, they view the Switch as both and we're going to see main games that function as both traditional handheld games.

This is blatantly false, handhelds have had several games that are more open ended and exploration based, such as Super Mario 64 DS and numerous Zelda games. Pokemon's linearity stems entirely from Game Freak's vision for the series, not any technical limitations. Also, 5th gen is a definite counterpoint to the idea that Game Freak never had to rethink their development strategy or limit exploration. Before then the games were larger, had more opportunities to branch off the main path, and had more content. Then with people complaining about region design and the rise of the mobile market, Game Freak decided to simplify everything and make the game more linear and lighter on content.

Here's the majority of the first paragraph from that quote: "And, while it is true they have to rethink the technical aspects with every game, they haven't had to rethink the overall development strategy. Take Sun and Moon. It's effectively the closed routes, no real variation, challenge gym trainers to move on and eventually defeat the Elite Four mechanism they've had every single game. The exploration of routes is still just as limited now as it was back in Gen 1, including some of the very same gimmicks for limiting that exploration"

I pretty much summed up that Game Freak has been intentionally designing the games to be limited in exploration since Gen 1. I even pointed out they've been using the same design strategy this entire time.

My talk about the Switch is highlighting that it is an entirely different development experience from the 3DS and other portables. There are none of the memory, graphical, or processing issues that can limit those consoles. You can do a full, open-world, Skyrim-like game on the 3DS with fully updated graphics, and the first Zelda title for that system shows how much of a difference that makes even for a series that has been open-world exploration for quite some time.

Game Freak openly said they'll have to reconsider how they develop games. This may mean that all of the limitations we see in the exploration aspects of Pokemon will simply go away. And, frankly, I'm hoping that's the case.

It's worth mentioning that part of the reason we're seeing so many home console-like games on the Switch is because of the situation with the Wii U. The Wii U sold so miserably that Nintendo essentially cut it short and started moving Wii U projects onto the Switch, so some of these titles like Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 were likely intended to be Wii U games that they moved to the Switch so they'd have a better chance of selling. More than likely, Nintendo views it as a system that can take the role of both the 3DS and the Wii U, it's just that we haven't seen the kind of games you'd see on the 3DS right now because the 3DS is still going strong.

As far as how Game Freak views the Switch, I came across this article:

Pokémon chief says approach to games needs to change if brought to Switch

This is why I said earlier we'll get more information as more games are released for the system. As other developers get involved and Nintendo branches out into how they're going to treat the system, we'll get a more accurate idea of what role it's going to play. Right now, it's pretty much a pure home console. But in the time it could take Game Freak to develop Gen 8, we could see the Switch become a true hybrid. For many reasons, I can see Game Freak choosing to stick with the 3DS for Gen 7 as being advantageous to them simply because it gives them an opportunity both to sell to an already-established customer base and get some idea of the future of the Switch.

PR isn't always reliable because they tend to say things people want to hear, but from the sounds of things, they view the Switch as both and we're going to see main games that function as both traditional handheld games.

You're taking away a different interpretation than I am. I'm viewing them as being more cautious, which in light of the Wii U they have every right to be.

Not saying your interpretation is wrong, though. You could be more accurate. That's the fun of interpreting vague statements that could mean anything :D

Last edited:
This is why I said earlier we'll get more information as more games are released for the system. As other developers get involved and Nintendo branches out into how they're going to treat the system, we'll get a more accurate idea of what role it's going to play. Right now, it's pretty much a pure home console. But in the time it could take Game Freak to develop Gen 8, we could see the Switch become a true hybrid. For many reasons, I can see Game Freak choosing to stick with the 3DS for Gen 7 as being advantageous to them simply because it gives them an opportunity both to sell to an already-established customer base and get some idea of the future of the Switch.

I would agree with that. Game Freak probably doesn't want to jump in on the Switch until they've worked out what would sell on the Switch and how Pokemon can fit that business strategy. The smart thing in this situation would probably be to keep 7th gen on the 3DS, keep an eye on how games like BotW and Mario Odyssey are doing, and design 8th gen to incorporate what those games do to appeal to a console audience while not compromising what makes Pokemon a successful handheld game. It'd be interesting to see how they do that if that's the route they're taking.

The point of the matter is, we don't know what the current plans are for Pokemon on the Switch. Moving the main series over there is a key item, but that does rely on assuming the Switch is going to succeed. Nintendo used to be very good about consoles, and we have them to thank for pretty much inventing the video game industry, but recently they have a very spotty record of successful home consoles. After the disaster that was the Wii U, it's natural for developers to be leery of developing for a system that might have a high chance of failure.

Also, the idea of porting SM to the Switch is to update game engine and graphics. Game engine and graphics are pretty much the barrier to entry that Game Freak has for releasing Stars on the Switch. Releasing SM first would allow them to go ahead and address that technical hurdle without having to spend extra development time on any other aspect of the game, which would leave Stars open for technical improvements, new features, and more storyline. It would also fully open up the Switch for Gen 8, as it gives Game Freak the experience they need to make that generation of Pokemon games and adapt them properly to the Switch.

Yeah, I have to agree. Even the negative reviews I read cited the thing as being durable. Honestly, the only barrier to taking it around seems to be size, and that's only because some people have tiny pockets. But if any of these people carry around a tablet, then carrying around the Switch would not be a change in tactics.

While it is true the Wii U didn't perform as well as Nintendo would have hoped, Nintendo Switch has no third party support issues at all. it's already been confirmed that Nintendo is currently working with over 50 third party companies. Nintendo Switch will have a vast amount of third party support right off the bat. So far, Nintendo seem to be handling Nintendo Switch well. There is no mix up in having people think this is just an upgrade of the last console (like how people perceived the Wii U and the Wii), they are advertising the console well, and they have developed the system to ensure porting and developing games on the console is much easier (unlike Wii U). Nintendo Switch seems to be on the path to success already.

As for your explanations on why they should port SM to Switch, I here what you're saying, but I still believe just using Stars for Switch will be enough for them to test out the console. I don't believe Gamefreak requires 2 attempts at it before moving to Gen VIII. Upgrading game engines and graphics, as well as content, is fine for Stars to handle on it's own, as that is what third versions are for anyway. Of course, If they did re-release SM for Switch, I'd most likely get it anyway.

I agree Switch is on the path to success... as a home console. The problem is, the main Pokemon series is primarily a portable gaming experience. For portable developers, Switch still has room to prove itself, especially since some of them have specifically avoided being major developers for Nintendo home consoles recently precisely because of how spotty Nintendo's record is. Game Freak itself also doesn't have an entirely amicable relationship with the Nintendo home consoles; the company itself has actively avoided developing for Nintendo home consoles for quite some time, and even its partnership subsidiary The Pokemon Company has pretty much shunned development for the Wii U (Pokken Tournament is a port).

So developers like Game Freak who specialize in the portable gaming field are in an entirely different situation than developers who specialized in home consoles; they're being forced to develop for what may be, to them, a gaming console category they don't want to develop on for Nintendo. Depending on what message Nintendo sends them about how the Switch is to be handled... they may end up facing a situation where, to them, it appears that Nintendo has abandoned the portable market.

And I'm looking at the SM issue from a pure risk assessment area. Game Freak likely is not going to want to take the risk with a third member of a generation like that, so I really think Stars is not going to happen as a console conversion game. This isn't the days of Yellow. So if they were going to do it with Gen 7 at all, their least risky method of doing so would be to try first with Sun and Moon. Less risky than that is simply to wait for Gen 8.

You're taking away a different interpretation than I am. I'm viewing them as being more cautious, which in light of the Wii U they have every right to be.

They're not cautious just becuase of Wii U. In fact, they're cautious in every statement they make. Someone from a company giving an interview has limits on what they can and cannot say.
---------

Do all the people who say that Stars is not happening becuase GF didn't hint it seriously believe that GF will shout on an interview "Take Pokemon Stars!"

The portable part of Nintendo Switch is completely portable. It does everything their handheld consoles usually do, plus more. The reason the 3DS won't be discontinued yet is because it is still popular, and not everyone is going to purchase Nintendo Switch right away. There is no reason why two handheld consoles can't be supported at once, until the 3DS is discontinued.

This ^^

And, in addition, Nintendo seems to have realized their failures in marketing and advertisement from this past generation. Saying it's a current gen home console that you happen to be able to take portable sounds way better than a portable you can connect to your TV. Saying it is first and foremost a console (even if that were not true) is better for marketing because that suggests higher power, which you can then take portable. Saying "it's both handheld and console" or a "handheld you can connect to your TV" simply would not sell as well from a marketing perspective. Based on Switch preview info from sources like GameXplain, we have seen that the Switch is high functioning as both console and handheld. It nearly (though, sadly, not quite) matches the PS4/XBO in power when docked, and it is quite a bit more powerful than the 3DS in handheld mode (which is more portable than most tablets, due to its sleek and compact design). There's no reason to think it's not a handheld and therefore not viable for Pokemon. Rather, it's very very likely that Pokemon will be on Switch later this year. The fact that rumors/reports suggest this game will be a third version to SM makes it all the more likely. Far better to start there rather than bank an entire new generation on a console with an unknown future. When Kimishima said they're considering (but undecided on) a 3DS successor, I wouldn't doubt that it largely depends on Switch popularity and, by extension, how well Pokemon performs on Switch (it is practically their biggest handheld series, remember).

This thread has gone entirely from speculation about stars to Nintendo Switch discourse

Last edited:
I just joined this thread , and I feel a bit lost. Could someone please catch me up on the current discussion?

We're currently speculating whether or not Stars will be on Switch.

I'm suggesting that it won't be the first Pokemon game on Switch, and speculating it'll either be a Sun and Moon port or Gen 8 that is first; if Sun and Moon port, I think Stars and the remakes we'll get with Gen 7 will come after. If not, waiting until Gen 8 gives them some idea of which way the wind is blowing on the Switch and allows Game Freak to deal with their discomfort with developing for a Nintendo home console.

Others are suggesting that Stars will be the first one, due to the fact that there would be story and technical improvements anyway. There is some basis for this, as such happened in the past with Yellow.

Ultimately, I don't think anyone since I jumped in disagrees that the Switch is capable of handling Pokemon, that the main Pokemon series would benefit from it, or that Game Freak is capable of developing for the new console. The majority of the disagreement seems to be over how long Game Freak will delay and what influences that decision.

We're currently speculating whether or not Stars will be on Switch.
Actually that's part of our speculation. The other part is speculating what it would have if it is on the Switch. Which is still speculation...
This thread has gone entirely from speculation about stars to Nintendo Switch discourse
I said that multiple times, but I kinda got overboard so I stopped.

Well, going hypocritical, the game lineup so far is just a bunch of games that had their homes on console. I first saw the Switch as a way to play console games on the go, and not as a handheld. I still kinda see it this way, as most of the games are still console-based, but if I'm wrong then I'm wrong and I'll accept it.

My speculation is that, if Stars does exist, then it would come as a test for the Switch and Pokemon. While they have stated that they would have to change Pokemon up greatly (Pokémon chief says approach to games needs to change if brought to Switch), it's still possible, and if it does come on the Switch there would be so much interesting tidbits added and would be an interesting start for Pokemon on the Switch. If it fails, then the 3DS is a good backup, as usually handhelds don't die out fast (heck GBA was discontinued 7 years ago... a lifespan of almost 10 years). I don't think it will fail though, as the Switch has pretty good potential.

Last edited:
So, apparently, not every game will function in both handheld and TV mode:
www.gamespot.com/articles/you-cant-play-this-nintendo-switch-game-on-a-tv/1100-6448258/?ftag=GSS-05-10aaa0a

What if Stars will follow the same path and be handheld mode only? That way Pokemon will still technically remain on handhelds.

I doubt Pokémon will be limited to only handheld mode, especially just because of that reason. Technically, Pokémon will still be on handheld even if you can play it both ways, so there is no reason to limit it to handheld only unless it is because of technical reasons (which I doubt).

Legend of Zelda will be playable both on tv and handheld, and as far as I'm aware, you probably will be able to use touch screen features while it is not docked. The only games that should be limited to handheld only are games that rely solely on using touch screens to play. Pokémon wouldn't fall into that.

Pokémon not being playable in TV mode removes a big part of the appeal for it being on a home console in the first place. Don't think that's gonna' happen. Especially not for such a fundamentally meaningless reason as being able to assure people that they're still "technically" on handhelds.

I gotta agree with Esserise. I think they'd sacrifice the touch screen aspects rather than going handheld only. Especially since with Switch they can just map everything to its own button.

I gotta agree with Esserise. I think they'd sacrifice the touch screen aspects rather than going handheld only. Especially since with Switch they can just map everything to its own button.
I don't think they will, since touchscreen has been pretty useful and convenient for Pokemon. Why just make it less convenient by now manually having to do it? There are so much touchscreen options that would have to be omitted, such as PokePelago and Pokemon Refresh, 2 really useful applications.
A way that could be worked around is to make those types of applications to have a non-touchscreen base. For example, instant collection of beans with a press of a button. Using the D-Pad or C-stick to clean/refresh Pokemon. However, that would be, as my point said, a bit less convenient than using touchscreen.

I don't think they will, since touchscreen has been pretty useful and convenient for Pokemon. Why just make it less convenient by now manually having to do it? There are so much touchscreen options that would have to be omitted, such as PokePelago and Pokemon Refresh, 2 really useful applications.
A way that could be worked around is to make those types of applications to have a non-touchscreen base. For example, instant collection of beans with a press of a button. Using the D-Pad or C-stick to clean/refresh Pokemon. However, that would be, as my point said, a bit less convenient than using touchscreen.

Most of these functions can be mapped to buttons. And the lost features... well, to be blunt, Sun and Moon is a step down from X and Y on some touchscreen features anyway, so I get the feeling that touch screen features are expendable no matter what.

Most of these functions can be mapped to buttons. And the lost features... well, to be blunt, Sun and Moon is a step down from X and Y on some touchscreen features anyway, so I get the feeling that touch screen features are expendable no matter what.
True. However I still believe it's still really convenient to have a touchscreen nonetheless. And mapped to buttons... works I guess

Back
Top Bottom