• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Stars Discussion Thread (Speculation)

Do you think that Stars is real or Fake

• Real

Votes: 61 59.8%
  • Fake

Votes: 41 40.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
and as i've said at least three times in this thread: the release of the 2DS XL neither proves nor disproves anything regarding a Pokemon game on the Switch, Stars, specifically.
While I do partially agree on that subject, there still is a major question: If Pokemon is going to move to Switch, then why release the 2DS XL? Why not just skip it over and just focus on the Switch?

Miitopia is a late localization of a modestly selling game and the Pikmin game is just a spin-off of one of Nintendo's smaller franchises.

but especially if it's identical to last year's number,, it doesn't facilitate anything all that ~special~ coming out.
Way to ignore SM. The whole point is that those games accounted for a whopping 28% of last year's total 3DS software sales.

Add that to Mario Maker 3DS (2.34 million), Yokai Watch 3 (around 2 million in Japan), Monster Hunter (around 2 million if you combine Generations' western release with the updated version in Japan) and Kirby (1.36 million). XY and ORAS got boosted sales due to the Go effect (over 3 million combined), which won't happen this year (likewise, the old 3DS Mario games got a boost due to Super Mario Run). SM still have legs, but even that would be hindered by a third version.

The only upcoming 3DS game that we know of that is guaranteed to sell over a million is Dragon Quest XI.

literally no one is out here saying New 2DS? must mean Pokemon's coming out with another game.
Compared to where? Sites for Nintendo enthusiasts that likely already own a Switch? A lot of those people are actually pretty pissed off about the announcement.

(also PSA the New Nintendo 3DS came without Pokemon as well; the only Nintendo to come in hot with Pokemon was the OG 2DS.)
It was released shortly before ORAS in Japan, simultaneously in Australia, and not long afterwards elsewhere. Besides, the original 2DS was practically made for Pokemon, with kids being the target demographic. It is hardly a leap to suspect the same thing for the New 2DS, even if is going to be released in July to help other 3DS games first.

Last edited:
While I do partially agree on that subject, there still is a major question: If Pokemon is going to move to Switch, then why release the 2DS XL? Why not just skip it over and just focus on the Switch?

I presume that it would be for third parties (Dragon Quest XI is the big contender) and the titles that were in development too long to just hop on the Switch bandwagon without delays

skipping the bits on optimization since it's pointless discussion given that neither of us know full details.

Agreed. Though it's a damn shame if they can't do better. The lag really sucks.

Don't forget that Nintendo and Pokemon are different entities. Pokemon is not Nintendo's only handheld franchise....
Nintendo don't have to plan with Pokemon in mind.

Compared to where? Sites for Nintendo enthusiasts that likely already own a Switch? A lot of those people are actually pretty pissed off about the announcement.
I actually checked Nintendo3DS sub on Reddit.

I actually checked Nintendo3DS sub on Reddit.
That's the opposite extreme of enthusiasts who would buy another 3DS system just because it looks good.

Nintendo is targeting people who don't have a 3DS yet (like you, actually) and those aren't the people who tend to comment on gaming news online.

Nintendo is targeting people who don't have a 3DS yet (like you, actually) and those aren't the people commenting on news online.

Well, being sorta like a target, who wants a Pokemon Machine which plays the recent releases along with the future ones, Nintendo just got me tempted enough to both the Switch and N2DX to the point that I'm confused on what to do, since the N2DX is unlikely to host a Gen VIII game, and I cannot purchase systems within an Year of each other.
I was not planning on 3DS since the options left over for N3DSXL were so expensive on eBay and others that I just was tempted to take the plunge for a Switch, and this crops up....

Just saying, but you should have bought a N3DSXL during the holidays, or a 2DS at any time.

Also, you probably won't have to buy a Switch until late 2019 if Generation VIII ends up being what you wait for.

Don't forget that Nintendo and Pokemon are different entities.

Nintendo is 1/3 owner of The Pokemon Company, and arguably the most powerful of the three owners.

Pokemon is not Nintendo's only handheld franchise....

No, but it is their biggest. Highest selling. Most popular. It has consistently held the title of being Nintendo's best selling handheld series for quite a while.

Nintendo don't have to plan with Pokemon in mind.

Have to? No. But I believe they plan with Pokemon in mind just about as much as they do for Mario and Zelda.

Pokemon had a huge role in the 3DS' momentum last year. There is no sugarcoating that fact.

If Nintendo managed to get Game Freak to move onto the Switch completely, then they aren't even particularly optimistic on the effect of that on the Switch's sales this year. I don't buy it.

I think the next pokemon game would be on N3DS/N2DS XL exclusive, because I doubt they already have pokemon game to switch, not to mention that it would be better on a main series game. If they did "stars" on switch, that mean that Nintendo and GF have port Sun and Moon into Switch with HD graphics, which will waste of time and money, the pokemon fans doesn't want seomthing like that. They would wanted to Improved with different materials, which is a reason why GF are hiring Character Modelers, Motion Designers and Programmer who have experience with PS vita and Wii U, not to mention they have never done a main series on a console, it would take a year or two to develop a pokemon game, so IMO, I think they'll push a pokemon game for switch back till 2018, because we don't want them rush a pokemon game with problems on Switch.

I think the next pokemon game would be on N3DS/N2DS XL exclusive, because I doubt they already have pokemon game to switch, not to mention that it would be better on a main series game. If they did "stars" on switch, that mean that Nintendo and GF have port Sun and Moon into Switch with HD graphics, which will waste of time and money, the pokemon fans doesn't want seomthing like that. They would wanted to Improved with different materials, which is a reason why GF are hiring Character Modelers, Motion Designers and Programmer who have experience with PS vita and Wii U, not to mention they have never done a main series on a console, it would take a year or two to develop a pokemon game, so IMO, I think they'll push a pokemon game for switch back till 2018, because we don't want them rush a pokemon game with problems on Switch.
Don't they already have HD graphics?

420px-SM_concept_art_Pok%C3%A9mon_model_2.png

They'll never make a game or games New 3DS/2DS exclusive. That would lock out millions of players and the profits, if there are even some, would be dismal. It would result in a very small profit or a loss.

GF have port Sun and Moon into Switch with HD graphics,
They've already got HD models for some, if not all Pokemon.

Copy pasted this thing from 3DS successor thread since it's sorta relevant *fights with my own mind* "Nintendo... why did you release these beautiful things together?"

For O3DS owners, bad news for ya-:
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/68a0j5/despite_supporting_it_through_2018_nintendo_will/

How to Use the Nintendo 3DS Download Software Repair Tool | Nintendo Support
Nintendo Page said:
  • Note About Original Nintendo 3DS Repairs: Nintendo no longer offers factory repairs for the original Nintendo 3DS system. Newer Nintendo 3DS family products (including the Nintendo 3DS XL and Nintendo 2DS) are still being repaired. If you aren't sure which system you have, check the serial number on the back of your system. If the serial number begins with CW, you have an original Nintendo 3DS system. Click here for information on replacement or upgrade options.
I think Nintendo plans to phase out the O3DS(XL) Variants, beginning with O3DS.

Does that mean anything for console support? A N3/2DS(XL) and Switch release is more likely now.

What? They're only phasing out the very original 3DS, which leaves the XL, 2DS and the New variants. All this means is that if you get a 5-6 year old system broken, they expect you to buy a new one.

Making any game compatible with the New 3DS/2DS but not the older systems wouldn't make sense.

Last edited:
Actually, I've heard that there are N3DS-exclusive games...

There ARE, but most of them are either ports of older games or one offs that could easily be pushed aside for most people. Making a game that's in a franchise known for being INclusive suddenly EXclusive doesn't seem like something they'd do. It's one thing for them to move onto the next new system as that's just how things go in general, but if they were to suddenly make one of their games exclusive and only available to a very small group of people then that would alienate the entire 3DS ownership. People can be angry about the possibility that they'll have to buy a brand new system to play the newest games, but I'd wager that having to buy only a slightly different version of a system that you already own is more angering. I for one own a 3DS XL and a Switch, but there's no way in hell at this point I'm buying a New 3DS simply because it sort of makes the games less choppy. Even if I didn't already own the Switch I'd rather have them go straight for it. It would be a waste of my money to buy a New 3DS at this point in the game. (If not in general)

There ARE, but most of them are either ports of older games or one offs that could easily be pushed aside for most people. Making a game that's in a franchise known for being INclusive suddenly EXclusive doesn't seem like something they'd do. It's one thing for them to move onto the next new system as that's just how things go in general, but if they were to suddenly make one of their games exclusive and only available to a very small group of people then that would alienate the entire 3DS ownership. People can be angry about the possibility that they'll have to buy a brand new system to play the newest games, but I'd wager that having to buy only a slightly different version of a system that you already own is more angering. I for one own a 3DS XL and a Switch, but there's no way in hell at this point I'm buying a New 3DS simply because it sort of makes the games less choppy. Even if I didn't already own the Switch I'd rather have them go straight for it. It would be a waste of my money to buy a New 3DS at this point in the game. (If not in general)

I remember mentioning somewhere that I want Stars to be a New DS and Switch exclusive (I said 'and' Switch).
It'd be available to both N3DS and Switch users. The game's main purpose would be to update to the Switch, and make it available to the newer (pun intended) 3DS users so as to not piss them off.
You had to update from BW2>XY, too, so it's not a new thing.

And as you own a Switch, you'd be able to play the game.

Back
Top Bottom