• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Taxonomy

I think this could work as a guide to those Pokemon outside the realm of true taxonomy with exceptions...

unnatural.png

sorry i'm a bit blind sometimes with the golduck monotreme thing
i was reading a thing the other day that said nidoqueen and nidoking are possums, shaymins a hedgehog, rhyhorn are rhinos
also i think eevee is like a fennec fox
i think typhlosion is like a porcupine, i think split evolutions is like evolution in the wild where one animal will change into a different animal depending on the location and changes into two different animals altogether, i think clefable may be an alien fairy from space, and wigglytuff may be a rabbit of some sort, and i've gotta say for exploud who know what that thing is some sort of mutated crazed wombat maybe

I heard that hippos may be more closely related to cetaceans because of a bone in their pelvis.

It's probably correct that those Pokemon that evolve with the aid of some sort of item are in some way mutants and their previous forms are their true mature forms.

I wonder why you put Raichu next to Bibarel? Isn't the Raichu line based off pikas and then there's the fact that Raichu is a stone evolution.

I wonder if adaptive radiation was in play for the Eveelutions? If so it could explain their diverse habitats and body structure.

And I personally see Mew as the common ancestor. Now if we could see the embryonic forms of Pokémon then this dispute could be settled.

I too adore Science and this is Intresting, I believe Toxicroak would fit into the Amphibian area.

I heard that hippos may be more closely related to cetaceans because of a bone in their pelvis.
Yes, however I'm making this by taxonomy not lineage. Whales/dolphins are still in a different order of mammals than hippos and other ungulates.
It's probably correct that those Pokemon that evolve with the aid of some sort of item are in some way mutants and their previous forms are their true mature forms.

I wonder why you put Raichu next to Bibarel? Isn't the Raichu line based off pikas and then there's the fact that Raichu is a stone evolution.

Well here's the thing- some pokemon appear to need evolution stones in order to achieve true adulthood, whereas with others it just makes them more powerful/look different. Raichu takes after the kangaroo rat, which are in the same suborder as beavers.

If I'm to change this regarding stones, I'd like some consensus as to which are or are not true mature forms. Exeggutor doesn't evolve from Exeggcute without a leaf stone; that seems like a needed instance to reach adulthood. The Nidos on the other hand turn into infertile creatures with leaf stones and can't reproduce, as if to say its previous form was already mature and its king/queen stage is a harmful mutation. Any input appreciated...

If I'm to change this regarding stones, I'd like some consensus as to which are or are not true mature forms. Exeggutor doesn't evolve from Exeggcute without a leaf stone; that seems like a needed instance to reach adulthood. The Nidos on the other hand turn into infertile creatures with leaf stones and can't reproduce, as if to say its previous form was already mature and its king/queen stage is a harmful mutation. Any input appreciated...

The Nidos evolve with Moon stones. Maybe, the stones infused with lunar energy disable their reproductive capabilities.

I must say, you've done an amazing work :)

I've finished Class Mammalia-
classmammal.png

Sorry to bother you but Golduck (and Psyduck) are not platypi. They are ducks. It even says it in their names. People always get confused on this but there is nothing connecting Golduck and a Platypus officially (though its design may have taken a bit from Platypi. But it's more influenced by the kappa anyway).

Sorry to bother you but Golduck (and Psyduck) are not platypi.

If they truly were based on Platypi then they could use Poison Jab.

But honestly, I think Nidoking/Nidoqueen are sterile mutants (radiation tends to do that to you...) but somehow the idea of something requiring external radiation to mature is a little...odd.

Sorry to bother you but Golduck (and Psyduck) are not platypi. They are ducks. It even says it in their names. People always get confused on this but there is nothing connecting Golduck and a Platypus officially (though its design may have taken a bit from Platypi. But it's more influenced by the kappa anyway).

Well, they're not ducks, even though they both have "duck" in their names. Like how "Exeggcute" has "egg" in its name even though it's comfirmed to be a plant seed (or six plant seeds).

Well, they're not ducks, even though they both have "duck" in their names. Like how "Exeggcute" has "egg" in its name even though it's comfirmed to be a plant seed (or six plant seeds).
Oh really? Psyduck is a Duck. Golduck is a Duck/Kappa. It's funny how you say they AREN'T ducks when their Pokedex entries say "The Duck Pokemon", several entries say they are ducks, and they resemble ducks and kappa's more than anything else. They may have drawn some inspiration from platypi, but they are NOT platypi so they should not be classified as platypi.

Also, the only moves they learn of the Poison-type is Toxic. Platypi would/should be able to use more Poison attacks.

Like how Blastoise's entry says "The Shellfish Pokemon" even though it's a turtle?

Or maybe Psyduck is a cross between a duck and a platypus.

Like how Blastoise's entry says "The Shellfish Pokemon" even though it's a turtle?

Or maybe Psyduck is a cross between a duck and a platypus.

"Blastoise's cannons may have been derived from the functioning tubes found in mussels and some other shellfish, thus its species name."

Sorry, what are you talking about?

The fact that shellfish don't have turtle-like limbs, tails, or a head like Blastoise does.

Actually, sometimes it seems like the Powers That Be are sometimes trying to make sure that their Pokemon aren't a close match to real-world species, like Blastoise being a turtle but having a mussel's tube-things. Or the supposedly duck-like Psyduck not having wings or identifiable feathers, like Farfetch'd. Now that is unquestionably a duck.

The fact that shellfish don't have turtle-like limbs, tails, or a head like Blastoise does.
"Blastoise's cannons may have been derived from the functioning tubes found in mussels and some other shellfish, thus its species name."

Actually, sometimes it seems like the Powers That Be are sometimes trying to make sure that their Pokemon aren't a close match to real-world species, like Blastoise being a turtle but having a mussel's tube-things.
That is more logical than what you were saying before.

Or the supposedly duck-like Psyduck not having wings or identifiable feathers, like Farfetch'd. Now that is unquestionably a duck.
Yet Farfetch'd uses his wings as hands (like Psyduck) and has the same pattern on his head as Psyduck. Heck, it even has a similar tail.

That is more logical than what you were saying before.

Yet Farfetch'd uses his wings as hands (like Psyduck) and has the same pattern on his head as Psyduck. Heck, it even has a similar tail.

Okay, now I'm not sure what you're talking about with Blastoise.

And I'm not sure that Farfetch'd and Psyduck have that similar tails, especially considering that when Psyduck evolves, its tail becomes even less bird-like.

Let's compare then.

Find the similarities between Farfetch'd and Psyduck!

083Farfetchd.png

054Psyduck.png

1. Both use wings as hands.
2. Pattern on head.
3. Duck bill.
4. Webbed feet.
5. Similar tails.

Differences!

1. Farfetch'd can actually fly with his wings while Psyduck cannot.
2. Farfetch'd looks overall more bird-like but Psyduck still looks like a bird, albeit deformed.
3. Psyduck also draws inspiration from Kappa's, unlike Farfecth'd, explaining the deformed bird look.
4. Different colors.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom