• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Tech...

archer9234

Serious Pokemon Fan
Reaction score
I wish they make a episode feature around the Monster balls. I would love hear a believable explination on

What happens to Pokemon while there in there.
How do the Pokemon forcibly come out.
How do Pokemon hear trainer voices from inside.
Why don't they just transport all objects in Monster balls (thanks to the Episode where Takeshi's rice ball went inside).
Why does everyone use Monster balls when there are better ball types.
And the most confusing, the balls flying back to the trainers.

I doubt they could ever explain how they stick to belts and shrink.

Another thing that bothers mean. For example in D/P 45 there trying to protect pokemon from Hunter J and take them to a safe location. Why don't they temporally catch them and release them later on instead of trying to carry or lead them. Yes I know it would make the episode easier to solve, but come on, there are episodes that could of used this without screwing up the main point of the episode.

On a side note, how does everyone know which ball is theres. This happened in so many episodes it bothered me.

Last edited:
I remember Ritchie putting stars on his Poke Balls so he could tell them apart. :)

Otherwise, I'm brain dead. .__.;

archer9234 said:
What happens to Pokemon while there in there.

The Pokemon is broken down into a beam of matter when absorbed into the ball, but their consciousness remains. There is a simulated environment inside for the Pokemon in question, although the environment is not always pleasing to each Pokemon (hence Pikachu's preference to stay outside the ball). The consciousness remaining in the Poke Ball is evident as when called out at night the Pokemon are often sleepy (as in the case of Buneary and Piplup before Dawn's first contest).

archer9234 said:
How do the Pokemon forcibly come out.
They retain a state of awareness. In the case of Pokemon with Psychic abilities, it's a simple matter of manipulation although some (Ash's Pidgeotto, Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, May's Skitty) have broken out before. They probably break out in the exact same way that a wild Pokemon does when they are resisting capture.

archer9234 said:
How do Pokemon hear trainer voices from inside.
As above - they retain a state of awareness. It's how Ash's team knew to break out of their Poke Balls when he was freezing in the snow cave, and how Pokemon can use attacks that their trainers command before the ball opens.

archer9234 said:
Why don't they just transport all objects in Monster balls (thanks to the Episode where Takeshi's rice ball went inside).
Not every item can be transported in Poke Balls, although most can. It's probably all down to pre-programming the Poke Ball. Thats why humans can't be captured - the balls are programmed not to capture them. In the case of rice balls, the programmers probably wouldn't even consider it - why would anyone want to deliberately catch a rice ball?

archer9234 said:
Why does everyone use Monster balls when there are better ball types.
Both the Safari and Great Balls were shown in the very first episode. A Master Ball was used on a Whiscash, but failed to catch it because the Whiscash ate it (although why a normal Poke Ball worked on May's Muchlax when it also ate the Poke Ball is beyond me). Ash and Misty both had Lure Balls they used on Totodile and Corsola respectively. Brock used his Fast Ball on Pineco. Even the Heavy Ball was featured in an early Hoenn episode (involving Gulpin if I recall correctly).

archer9234 said:
And the most confusing, the balls flying back to the trainers.
Hard to explain, but probably just a recoil effect. Balls don't have to be thrown to release a Pokemon, or for recalling them, although they do have to makecontact to catch a wild Pokemon. Most trainers must be pretty good catchers though!

archer9234 said:
I doubt they could ever explain how they stick to belts and shrink.
Shrinking has no repurcussions on the Pokemon inside, although a shrunk Poke Ball does prevent a wild Pokemon from being caught (as seen in the episode where Buneary was caught). There are probably special clasps in the belts to hold the Poke Balls, although they can certainly be broken on occassion (the Island of Giant Pokemon)

archer9234 said:
Another thing that bothers mean. For example in D/P 45 there trying to protect pokemon from Hunter J and take them to a safe location. Why don't they temporally catch them and release them later on instead of trying to carry or lead them. Yes I know it would make the episode easier to solve, but come on, there are episodes that could of used this without screwing up the main point of the episode.

Same rule thats been explained throughout the series to date. A Pokemon not weakened in battle is much harder to catch. You have to weaken the Pokemon first. And Poke Balls aren't always in easy access of a Pokemon. An object such as a tree can prevent a Pokemon from being recalled because it interrupts the beam. Pikachu's ball is never seen, and as far as we know, Meowth doesn't even have a Poke Ball.

archer9234 said:
On a side note, how does everyone know which ball is theres. This happened in so many episodes it bothered me.
One theory I think that works says that once a Pokemon is caught, that ball can only recall the Pokemon that belongs to it. So Ash couldn't use Sceptile's Poke Ball to recall Donphan for instance. Yes, some trainers like Ritchie specifically mark their Poke Balls, but trainers are generally expected to be able to look after their own Poke Balls.

>>>Why don't they just transport all objects in Monster balls (thanks to the Episode where Takeshi's rice ball went inside).

Well, in the banned Porygon episode, that Akihabara-hakase did have a similar device for transporting humans, but it wasn't mobile and was still in its experimental stage.

According to Bulbapedia, once a PokeBall is used, it can't be used again with the exception of capturing a Pokemon succesfully.

So say they want to transport objects with the PokeBall, however once they release the objects the PokeBall would be of no use anymore and be wasted. This also occurs with a failed capture.

According to Bulbapedia, once a PokeBall is used, it can't be used again with the exception of capturing a Pokemon succesfully.

So say they want to transport objects with the PokeBall, however once they release the objects the PokeBall would be of no use anymore and be wasted. This also occurs with a failed capture.

That explains why I used over 200 balls trying to capture Deoxys!

In the anime you see Ash using the same pokeball twice.

Yeah but that because the Pokemon is successfully captured and it's the Pokemon's specific signature ...ball...

I always just assumed Pokemon had a special cell structure different from human beings and other animals (which do appear/get mentioned on rare occasions), thus the ability to convert to energy. However, with this in mind, I gotta wonder how they manage to contain held items, or accessories that the Pokemon tend to carry with them (Minomucchi's coat, Karakara's club and mask, etc.). Another mystery is how Monster Balls, which are supposedly only able to contain one creature at a time, are capable of holding a group of Tamatama (given, they supposedly have a psychic link with eachother, but they still seem composed of different bodies), or a Garuura and its "kid" (I use quotations because I've recently come to the conclusion that it's just a lesser-developed twin and the Pokemon merely imitates a parent-child relationship). I can assume that Yadoran's shellder is fused at the tongue/tail, and thankfully, the Mantine sprite finally got rid of the Teppouo (a different Pokemon altogether) clinging to its wing.

Similarly, how the hell do these Pokemon hatch with the accessories and multiple bodies already there? I guess the simple answer is this: it was an oversight by the designers. While the accessorizing has never been as far out as the likes of other monster-raisers, like (at the time) Dragon Quest V, making their designs resemble things you'd expect to actually see in the wild (animals that use simple tools, for instance), they probably didn't expect egg-hatching would come and bite them in the ass five years later. Thus, they didn't give a second thought towards designing wholly natural bodies... but I guess it could've been worse. They could've had you hatching some Karakara pre-evo, which is really just a maskless Karakara which you give bone accessories to in order to evolve (I've seen a few monster raisers do that, where they'd have one monster, and another monster that's classified differently but is pretty much the same damn thing except it's got armor or a weapon or something would seem easily removeable). And interestingly enough, I don't recall any new Pokemon designs featuring some sort of removeable article or multiple bodies ever since the 2nd generation (unless I'm forgetting something... well, Minomucchi, but considering it changes its coat with every battle it fights in, it wouldn't be hard to believe it just nabs some nearby materials upon coming out).

The Poke Ball is just there really. In the game it's a way to transport Pokemon (since having a Charizard, Steelix, Snorlax, Lapras, Magnezone, and Victreebel would be akward at best) and give you a way of knowing when you've caught one. Once the pokemon is caught the fact it's a Poke Ball is kind of moot.

The anime being a kids show also doesn't go too much the workings of the Poke Ball.

The truth be told, I've seen more on the Poke Balls in fan fiction than anything in canon. Perhaps the most well thought out explanation was developed by a guy who called himself Oddish. His explanation was that Poke Balls create pockets of folded space that contain the Pokemon (so their volume and mass don't effect the ball). It's as good an explanation I've seen even if it isn't canon.

I personally also believe there's an "escape hatch" for the Pokemon it let itself out in times of emergancy. However, some Pokemon abuse that feature.

I like the Remoraid attached to Mantine.

Good answers but it really didn't explain how they shrink the balls perfect size without some sort of breaks in the shape.

And with the d/p 45 question. There are episodes where pokemon willing just go into the ball and are caught (pratically all of Satoshi's early captures). If a pokemon is in danger and you have a trusting human you would jump into the ball, temp capture them, then release it when there out of danger. They just won't do it in the show which bothers me. A very simple fix in a tight spot. It would of avoided Hunter J of catching one of them and the 2 falling off the cliff.

And I know the group has used various balls before in many episodes, but I ment why do they just use Poke-balls when they could be getting Ultra-balls. I know it's easier to simply use these default balls so the animators don't have to go nuts drawing them (remembering who has what, hence Totidile being in a Poke-ball in several episodes by mistake) but really they should be using the Best ball type.

What is that old Monster Ball Yukinari used in the 4th movie?

The Poke Ball is just there really. In the game it's a way to transport Pokemon (since having a Charizard, Steelix, Snorlax, Lapras, Magnezone, and Victreebel would be akward at best) and give you a way of knowing when you've caught one. Once the pokemon is caught the fact it's a Poke Ball is kind of moot.

given the franchise's origins, Monster Balls seem a little unnecessary in the first place. All things considered, RPGs are programs which (in nearly all cases) don't give a damn about size one way or another. In Dragon Quest V, you could literally get a giant to join your team, but in-game, they still appear to take up a single tile on the map, or take up a single slot in your party, and you can freely walk into houses with them trailing along. Let's not forget the mechanic that several other RPGs use where your whole party is represented by the lead character's sprite, with the other characters just walking out of the main's sprite during cut scenes. Given, Monster Balls serve the added purpose of capturing your monsters, but how would that have been any more different than some other trapping method?

It seems a bit ironic that Monster Balls are there to add a bit of logic to an RPG, while not really having an explanation themselves. But then again, I guess a rather large part of the games were built around flavor text and such. Without any of it, Pokemon's really just another simple turn-based RPG that might not've caught on otherwise.

But did not Capsule Monsters have something like Monster Balls? and that is a manga. Capsule Monsters came before Pocket Monsters, the manga came before the games. Later they changed it into Pocket Monsters, but I think Capsule Monsters had something like Monsters Balls, but I'm not sure. So it started in the manga, did it not?

Actually, Pocket Monsters started as a video game series. The video game series was so successful they decided to do an anime spin-off. Also, not all things can be captured by Poke Balls. If a human is struck by the button of a Poke Ball, it only hurts the human, a lot. That concept is shown a lot in the anime. Also, it explained what happens when a human is struck by the laser of a Poke Ball. The person is paralyzed. As Jesse of Team Rocket says when she is struck by the Poke Ball's laser: "So that's what it feels like." Meaning it gives a weird sensation to the person who is struck by it. It also show us what happens when you try to catch an already caught Pokemon. The Pokemon's outline turns red, then the red outline breaks. Also, a reason I think as to why they don't use other Poke Balls is that regular Poke Balls are readily available. The Great Balls and Ultra Balls must be really expensive in the anime. I mean who in the anime has 600 or 1200 Poke Money. Multiply that by say 6 and you have 3600 Poke Money for Great Balls and 7200 poke Money for Ultra Balls. and yes it is easier to draw something that you've drawn for years. Sorry for the essay.

I saw in a D/P episode that already caught pokemon cannot be caught again.
Anyway . .. it started as a manga. The reason why people think it started as a game is that it was called Capsule Monsters before. The name Pocket Monsters appeared as the games was released.

I saw in a D/P episode that already caught pokemon cannot be caught again.
Anyway . .. it started as a manga. The reason why people think it started as a game is that it was called Capsule Monsters before. The name Pocket Monsters appeared as the games was released.

actually, I think Capsule Monsters is merely a spiritual predecessor, and not the actual start of the franchise (though, I wouldn't really know, since there is practically no info on it at all, and being a doujinshi from the '70s, it's questionable whether a copy still exists).

There is not much info but I have a picture of Capsule Monsters 1991 by Satoshi Tajiri. It did not go very well for that manga, that's why it's so unknown.
What I was trying to say about CM is that since it's called Capsule Monsters, the monsters must have been inside some kind of capsules, like Monster Balls. So the idea of having your pkmn inside balls is just not to make a logic explanation to have your party with you everywhere in an RPG, since it did not start as a video game. The reason must be something else. Well, it could be a similar reason. Easier to put the pokemon in balls instead of having to draw them all in the manga. If the Trainer has about 20 Pokemon, that's a large party . . . takes a lot of space and takes a long time to draw. Just as it does in the vidoe games. It would look more stupid if the characters walked into each others in a manga than an RPG.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom