• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon that you were told existed but didn't

Well, I was the one who told them, but, I convinced my friend in the two months before Diamond/Pearl came out that they were getting rid of Quagsire and making Wooper evolve into Mudkip. Effectively creating the first 4-stage evolutionary line.

Oh how I wish that were true.

Goldenbird, that mystical Pokemon Ash saw in the first episode that turned out to be Ho-oh. Rumor was you had to use a Thunderstone on a Fearow (making this possibly one of the easiest Generation I rumors to disprove).

The only thing I ever fell for was Pikablu. Because I had seen pictures of Marill at the time with no name on them...so naturally I assumed it was obtainable.

The Pokegods too...well, not so much as "fell for them" as it was an experiment. A friend and I found the codes online and tried them out. When we saw they were all glitchy we knew they were fake.

Of course, this was from when I first got into Pokemon, and I was like...10 or 11 at the time, you know, the prime age for gullible belief without any evidence.

I was told that you could go to the moon with the Mossdeep space center and evolve deoxys or something like that. Heck I had the elite four beat like 70+ times trying to get the shuttle to actually launch.
Also fell for the classic "pikablu" and "mewthree" rumors.

Raichu evolution... wasn't this a translation error?

You originally traded that guy a Kadabra in the Japanese version, they changed it to Raichu in the English version. So that created the error.

Since I was already in high school when Pokémon came to the U.S., there wasn’t much in the way of “fake Pokémon” that I got foul into believing. The two rare executions were Marill as Pikablu and Luigia and Ho-oh were going to be known as Poké Gods for Gold and Silver, but that’s more in being missed informed.

Venustoise.png

I didn't fall for the moon thing, but it seems everyone I know, even my own brother, are under the impression it is true and NOTHING I say can convince them otherwise.

Hey, that's a real halucination made by gastly...

I didn't really fall for ne rumors, there was thin one time where the guy had a gameshark and said he had poke gods from there, I guess I was starting to beleve because he was right there with it, but after a while he didn't let me see and I was like "bullshit." Then he showed me a lot of mews with extra long hp wich cut through the sprite, and really high max pp.

Hmmm. Let's see:
Yoshi - Take a Dragonite into Cerulean Cave, and evolve it with a water stone.
I too was told Dragonite would evolve into Yoshi, but I was told a different sequence of events would trigger it, involving trading it back and fourth.

I was told that you could go to the moon with the Mossdeep space center and evolve deoxys or something like that. Heck I had the elite four beat like 70+ times trying to get the shuttle to actually launch.
Also fell for the classic "pikablu" and "mewthree" rumors.

Actually it was supposed not beating the E4 that many times that did it, but waiting 100 weeks (one launch of a space shuttle per week) and when it gets to 100, you can go up on it and find deoxys on moon.

I remember once someone told me they had a "Wish tag" as a key item in ruby and they had the game data saved for 200 weeks or something (did not reset his game since he got it in 2004) and when he went to space center, a NPC said that this item was found from a space ship launch when the ship returned. He then said he went to the white rock outside the space center and it awoke as jirachi and he battled it at lv5. He did have a lv5 jirachi and its location did say "Mossdeep city" and it was caught in a pokeball, must have been hacked. Never showed me the wish tag though as he said it was "used" to summon jirachi and was gone now

Last edited:
Ahhh Pikablu... turning out to be Marill... x3 I miss the good ol days of Pokemon! Back in the RB times BEFORE yellow... haha

i remember when Gold and Silver came out it was said by all my fellow poke friends that Zapdos would evolve into a poke called "Zapanine" and that articuno evolved into lugia and moltres into ho-oh. anyone else hear this?

Hmmm. Let's see:
Yoshi - Take a Dragonite into Cerulean Cave, and evolve it with a water stone.
OMG I TOTALLY REMEMBER THAT!! XD Only when I heard about it, it was called Yoshimon, not just Yoshi.

Besides that there was also:

Pikabloo
Pikaflare
Gigachu (A supposed final evolution of Pikachu)
Rollatrunk - (This was actually what people in my elementary school were calling Donfan when it first showed up in the first Pokemon movie. At the time though, we all thought you could get it in R/B/Y.)

also can someone tell me this whole " mew under the truck " thing?

Here 'ya go.

I was a nerd from the start and I'm pretty sure I knew every 151 first pokèmon by pokedex number at one time:dumb:
So I pretty much knew about every single Pokèmon and weren't really fooled by the fakes...
I did think that Marill was called Pikablu once, supported by a card I once saw which was part of a series that retold the story of the first movie, in one, Marill was called Pikablu:dumb:
I also read a fanfic once that claimed it was a mutated Pikachu that could use water-gun... how odd.

I used to nickname most of my Marills Pikablue as a joke because of these rumors XD

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom