• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Pokemon XYZ Dub Opening

I think its just the standard now for openings to only be about 30 seconds. Its probably so they can have more time for commercials, which I hate. If I recall, in the past, most openings were a minute or about 45 seconds. Episodes used to be about 22 minutes also, I think. Anyway, it is better than most BW openings, though I do think Rival Destinies was better than this.

That's the episode's problem, though, not the opening's.

True, but it still doesn't reflect well on the dub when they still haven't bothered to update the episode title sequence, especially when they don't have the excuse of waiting until the next season to update it this time around.

I think its just the standard now for openings to only be about 30 seconds. Its probably so they can have more time for commercials, which I hate. If I recall, in the past, most openings were a minute or about 45 seconds. Episodes used to be about 22 minutes also, I think. Anyway, it is better than most BW openings, though I do think Rival Destinies was better than this.

The reason why openings used to be longer was because Kids WB allowed for them to have longer ones. I think it was at least partly due to being on a broadcast channel. Cartoon Network is cable, so they might want more commercials compared to a broadcast TV channel. It's still annoying, especially when I don't need to see the same ads for their shows within the span of an episode, but they've been stuck with the thirty second limit since TPCI got the license unfortunately. They have been able to make good openings before even with that time limit. Even their first opening, Battle Frontier, was good and was arguably one of their best openings. But this one just really lack effort or passion, at least as far as the singing is concerned. They really need to find a better way of getting a decent song going in thirty seconds.

True, but it still doesn't reflect well on the dub when they still haven't bothered to update the episode title sequence, especially when they don't have the excuse of waiting until the next season to update it this time around.

The reason why openings used to be longer was because Kids WB allowed for them to have longer ones. I think it was at least partly due to being on a broadcast channel. Cartoon Network is cable, so they might want more commercials compared to a broadcast TV channel. It's still annoying, especially when I don't need to see the same ads for their shows within the span of an episode, but they've been stuck with the thirty second limit since TPCI got the license unfortunately. They have been able to make good openings before even with that time limit. Even their first opening, Battle Frontier, was good and was arguably one of their best openings. But this one just really lack effort or passion, at least as far as the singing is concerned. They really need to find a better way of getting a decent song going in thirty seconds.
I always wondered why they never made openings that were around the same length as the first opening...

It's a mandate forced on them by CN, who wants more time for commercials

Still 30 seconds is enough if they don't say the same lines over and over again. All DP opening were pretty good. The second two BW openings were pretty good. This one is definitely the worst song of any of them, the clips that go with it are only better than the first BW and that weirdness. Any idea why they completely ignored the clips from the Getta Banban opening because those were awesome and never ended up in any US opening. I'm pretty unhappy with the clips used in both of the last two openings. They need to understand that if they are only 30 seconds that they should use shorter clips so they can fit more variety in and use at least parts of the better stuff available from the original openings, which they usually did a very good job with in the past, even as recently as season 17 and try to remember that there is more than one main character that should be represented in the opening.

I actually found the mellower and slower feel of this opening refreshing, but I understand it's not for everyone, so not really surprised by the mixed reactions.

Though I agree that it was held back by CN's silly limitations. Here's hoping it can get saved by an extended version in M19.

Last edited:
The song is pretty dull and sounds like an intro to a song rather than an actual opening song. I hate how the main lyrics are kind of slow and low in tone, and there's the fast and high pitched "Gotta catch 'em all!". Definitely one of the weaker opening songs.

I listened to it and cringed... I don't care for any of the XY themes, but this one is definitely my least favorite. Assuming XY is only going to last three seasons, this is not at all what I would have hoped for from the last of the three themes. I'm going to give it a chance, though. Some of them (like Diamond and Pearl/Be a Hero) are terrible the first time you listen to them and become an acquired taste after you hear them enough times.

I'm still very ehhh cause you can still create a fully developed memorable tune that feels complete with about 22 seconds, which was all Rebecca Sugar needed for Steven Universe. I hope they can give us an improved extended version in the 19th movie, though.
This. You've beautifully summed up all current dubbed Pokemon opening expectations and goals with this statement.

They didn't even try with this opening. The juxtaposition of the music with the animation alone is confusing and mismatched. Furthermore, said footage is randomly spliced and patched together; for example, we go from Ash-Greninja vs Mega Sceptile, to Ash & Co looking out unto Lumiose City...then back again to Ash-Greninja vs Mega Sceptile. No scenes or development are featured from Mad-Paced Getter (even though we're far past the point, but regardless) and the lyrics are simple, uninspired and repetitive. It would also be lovely if we had actual singing rather than yet another opening with some raspy, indies sounding mid-twenties man who is just there to collect a quick paycheck.

Last edited:
I think it was held back but nowhere near as bad as people say...they did a good job cramming a song like that in that timeframe.

And not using Mad-Paced Getter as a base was a good idea. It's a shame we didn't ever get to see those scenes overseas, but it would've felt horribly outdated at this point, like when they used Mega V as a base for Be a Hero.

Last edited:
I HATED this new song! Aside from finding the Japanese song to be one of the best to date, making this replacement song even more of a slap in the face than usual, I found the new song (if you can call it one) awful. The song sounds like a really bad attempt at an 80s rock song, and it fails horribly. They should just take the Japanese themes, and make English versions of them... you know, like what FUNimation does sometimes.

I still like XY&Z better, they could've just covered that with new lyrics (because not every rule has to be kept, they called Zygarde Core Squishy in the WTP segment for example), but this opening, to me, is good but still not perfect.

Since this is a thread about the Pokemon XY&Z Dub Opening, I'd like to share the Korean dub opening of XY&Z since the preview is up :D

They used the same animation footage as the Japanese OP, but the atmosphere of the song is different - a lot less Pokemon-ish from past OPs.

Well, I suppose I might as well say my own unpopular opinion. I liked it. As in... a LOT! The 80's rock vibe gave it a unique vibe and the lyrics along with the melodies gave it a "confident champion sauntering around like he owns the place" feel. I get that it's not for everybody but I love how they decided to go for something new.

The one flaw is how it's thirty seconds when it SHOULD BE ONE MINUTE LONG. I mean, does Cartoon Network REALLY need a measly thirty seconds of extra commercials when they could air anyone of those anytime?

Last edited:
The one flaw is how it's thirty seconds when it SHOULD BE ONE MINUTE LONG. I mean, does Cartoon Network REALLY need a measly thirty seconds of extra commercials when they could air anyone of those anytime?

Yes. Those "measly 30 seconds of extra commercials" contribute to keeping the lights on over at Cartoon Network. It might not seem like a lot to you but 30 seconds per episode per airing adds up to a *lot* of lost revenue in the long run.

Yes. Those "measly 30 seconds of extra commercials" contribute to keeping the lights on over at Cartoon Network. It might not seem like a lot to you but 30 seconds per episode per airing adds up to a *lot* of lost revenue in the long run.
Is that... sarcasm? Sorry, it's hard to tell with you.

Though with that in mind, you'd think the WTP would be scraped.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom