• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon you think should be retyped.

Call me nostalgic if you want, but I really don't see any reason that the Marill line had to gain the Fairy typing. Sure, it actually helped the line on one hand, but it also gave it an extra weakness, and I don't see how "fairy-like" the line is. They're rodents, not very fae-like, so I don't see the point in making the line part Fairy. I can understand the other retyped Mons who gained Fairy (like Clefairy, Snubbull, and even Ralts and Mawile), but I don't see how the Marill line fits that department. It should've stayed as a pure Water line (baring Azurill, obviously), which I find to be a more accurate role for it. I just don't see the reasons behind the type change here, as at least the other retyped Mons made sense, given their natures. So I'd rather see the Marill line go back to their original forms instead of being part Fairy.

On another note, Staraptor should've become Fighting/Flying, as it's one of the more brutal birds out there (the Predator Pokemon indeed). Plus it learns Close Combat, something that no other bird gets, as well as one of the few non-Fighting Mons to get it as well, so Fighting would work great for it. After all, Normal/Flying has only been done about a hundred times by now, so a little variety in the early bird Mons would be nice (Fletchling was a good example of that, and how).

Call me nostalgic if you want, but I really don't see any reason that the Marill line had to gain the Fairy typing. Sure, it actually helped the line on one hand, but it also gave it an extra weakness, and I don't see how "fairy-like" the line is. They're rodents, not very fae-like, so I don't see the point in making the line part Fairy. I can understand the other retyped Mons who gained Fairy (like Clefairy, Snubbull, and even Ralts and Mawile), but I don't see how the Marill line fits that department. It should've stayed as a pure Water line (baring Azurill, obviously), which I find to be a more accurate role for it. I just don't see the reasons behind the type change here, as at least the other retyped Mons made sense, given their natures. So I'd rather see the Marill line go back to their original forms instead of being part Fairy.

Omg, I've said this, too! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

My guess why they didn't retcon any Legendary or Mythical Pokémon's types into Fairy may have something to do with their status either somehow putting them outside of Game Freak's list of Pokémon that could be retyped, the type change's potential effects on their power levels (so to speak) in competitive battling, or both.

Last edited:
thinking about legendaries... Deoxys as psychic/poison would've been very interesting. Being a mutant space virus it feels appropiate, being sort of in this border of paranormal biochemistry.

I like Altaria being part dragon, but Swablu being pure flying would've made it very unique too, unlike other birds it looks very cloud-like and is strongly associated with clouds already.

Trapinch line being part-bug is something I have mixed feelings because on one hand they are insects, it's weird the first stage isn't ground/bug, and bug/dragon is a really cool type, but on the other flygon is very strongly all about the desert...
Which just makes me think of other things that also are technically close to bugs but aren't the type.

Last edited:
  • Cosmog/Cosmoem: Normal/Psychic, because a pokemon made of dust should be normal, butI didn't want it changing both types when it evolves.
  • Kantonian Ninetails: Fire/Fairy, because Alolan Ninetails is Ice/Fairy.
  • Farfetch'd: Normal/Grass or Grass/Flying, because of the plant stalk it carries, and Normal/Flying is too overused and very boring.

Lugia- dragon/fairy with Levitate or new ability.
Ho-oh- fire/fairy with new ability.
Or both get new forms.

Farfetch'd
flying/fighting

dont know why but the Buisel line looks like rescue swimmers, i would had made the evolution atleast water/fighting.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom