• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokkén Fighters/Pokkén Tournament trademarked by TPCi

Wasn't there a former employee from the company who makes the anime who made a fan-made Pokémon fighting game?

So, Hiro is claiming that Pokken Tournament is the name of the game, while Pokken Fighters are NFC figurines you buy to use within the game...so...I guess it might not be a straight-up Fighting game either.

BfLpnkf.png

I read that tweet as him speculating, not stating facts. A more accurate translation would be "Pokken Tournament could be the name of a new game for WiiU and Pokken Fighters the name of the NFC figures the game would use."

God I hope that's speculation. A spin-off series on the WiiU making you buy even more products to play the game?

Though, I hope if its a fighting Pokemon tournament they expand on their unique martial arts style (since most Fighting types are supposed to have developed their own styles of fighting). If Infernape doesn't act like a fire bender, then I will be disappointed.

So here's the official word from The Pokemon Company on that mysterious Pokemon image that seemed to tease a Wii U game: "There is nothing to announce at this time. These are merely conceptual images."

Source: Kotaku

I think the keywords here are 'at this time'.

Indeed. A conceptual image is just a teaser that they are working on something. They won't give an official announcement until they feel it's showable enough to be announcement-ready.

Pokemon Fighter is a game I've been waiting for, for a long time.

Fighting-type Pokemon are Pokemon based upon real-world Martial Arts and practices. Not only does this translate well into a fighting game, but you can see parallels that exist already amongst current fighting game brands, like Street Fighter or Tekken. Pokemon Moves can be directly related to techniques, abilities, and attacks that famous: Aura Sphere -> Hadouken; Sky Uppercut -> Dragon Punch; Seismic Toss -> SPD.

Wasn't there a former employee from the company who makes the anime who made a fan-made Pokémon fighting game?

Yeah, I've seen some of that fan-made Pokemon fighting game. It was pretty cool.

This sounds like a pretty cool game if that is what this mystery footage is. I'd hope that it is on the 3DS since I can't afford a WiiU. If it's only on the WiiU, I wouldn't be able to play it, so that would be pretty disappointing.

I'll just leave this here.

The Pokemon Company has told online gaming publication Kotaku that the recent Pokemon image that appeared to tease a Wii U game is simply conceptual. The publication also tried to get some clarification regarding the recent Pokemon trademarks that have been discovered. Sadly, the Pokemon Company wouldn’t divulge any information.

“There is nothing to announce at this time. These are merely conceptual images.”

I hope this game is balanced in some way even if it was limited in roster. If not, I could see something like Smogon's tiering system to put each character in a place due to usage statistic. What I'd really like to see is a legitimate tournament scene spawn out of this with people arranging competitions just like with SSB or Street Fighter.

The Pokemon Company has told online gaming publication Kotaku that the recent Pokemon image that appeared to tease a Wii U game is simply conceptual. The publication also tried to get some clarification regarding the recent Pokemon trademarks that have been discovered. Sadly, the Pokemon Company wouldn’t divulge any information.

“There is nothing to announce at this time. These are merely conceptual images.”

I see, meaning it's not an actuall game and probably never will? That's a shame, cause I was hoping for a traditional fighting game from the Pokemon franchise rather than just another battle sim like Stadium or Battle Revolution, which are basically the main series games if they were in 3D and all other aspects were removed with it being STRICTLY the battling. It's a known fact that TPCi is known for being an incredibly secretive company, so it's obvious that X/Y is their primary focus at the moment and all other games being produced are being kept under wraps.

Speaking of trademarks, remember the trademarks like "Pokemon WhiteGold, Purple, Gray, etc." which were all names for potential future generation main games (the only ones that got made from those trademarks were Black and White), these could be one of those trademarks, something that goes completely wasted and unused.

So it is not a game? Well, that is good to hear! I'd rather see all Pokémon games being released for portable systems only.

Bloody liars.

Keep in mind that if it really was a game, they would've said the exact same thing. It's not like they're going to go "oh, looks like you caught us. Okay, this is what we're really doing..."

They never said its not going to be a game, "nothing to announce at this time" just means their not ready to talk about it yet and "conceptual images" means that is what they think it may look like when/if it is made.

I rather doubt they would have shown anything to us like that if there wasn't a game or something behind it.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom