• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Poll: Mega Blastoise vs Mega Swampert

Steel_Justice

Forged in Combat
Reaction score
A while back we had a poll for Venusaur and Sceptile's respective megas so I figured these two should clash as well.

009Blastoise-Mega.png VS 260Swampert-Mega.png

In one pond we have the original water type, the turtle titan, the owner of the biggest gun in the pokemon world: Mega Blastoise!

In the other pond we have the fish everyone lieks, the rain dance slugger, the owner of the best biceps in the pokemon world: Mega Swampert!

Blastoise becomes a devastating tank with shockingly strong moves and coverage thanks to mega launcher powering up its expanded movepool. It still does well in support since rapid spin is still useful to get rid of moves like Stealth Rock and as an added bonus it laughs off any attempt by ghost types to spin block with a boosted dark pulse so strong not even aegislash wants to take repeated hits from it.

Swampert goes for the sweeper route by upping its already impressive attack with a bit more defenses and speed and gaining swift swim. While the boost is only temporary the damage Swampert can do in the rain is nasty since Swampert out speeds nearly everything in the rain, has spectacular coverage, boosted water type damage and the defenses to stomach priority attacks.

Which of these lake giants is your favorite? Who would win in a head to head brawl? Who has the cooler design? And who is worse for a water weak pokemon to come across?

Mega Blastoise for me. The Squirtle family is my favorite starter family and I LOVE Blastoise. MBlastoise just looks so much cooler than MSwampert imo. 2 arm cannons and a a giant one protruding from its shell. That's just so awesome.

I was a bit disappointed when I first saw MSwampert and I still don't care to much for it tbh. I've warmed up to it a little after using one in AS, but it's definitely still not one of my top favorites. I just don't like the massive arms and puny legs they gave it. Looks really weird imo.

Not sure who'd win in a battle and I'd say Swampert is worse for a Pokemon weak to water to face since most Pokemon weak to water are also weak to ground.

I'd choose Mega Swampert. Mega Blastoise might have Mega Launcher, but it doesn't matter if you can't strike first...

I absolutely adore Blastoise. It's one of my favorite Starters of all time, one of my favorite Water types of all time, and one of my favorite Gen I Pokemon. MStoise is just absolutely sick and Mega Launcher turns her into a total beast.

While I don't hate Swampert, I don't exactly like him either. MPert really doesn't change that. It doesn't help that his ORAS sprite just highlights how its proportions shouldn't work.

Ultimately, MStoise is my choice.

A head to head battle would probably end in a draw. Or, more likely:

Turn 1: Blastoise Mega evolves and uses Water Pulse to hit for neutral damage. Swampert Mega Evolves and uses Rain Dance.
Turn 2: Swampert strikes first with EQ for massive neutral damage, Blasty barely hangs on. Blasty counters with Rain and Launcher boosted Water Pulse and KO's Swampy.

So yeah, nvmd, Blasty wins.

Who is scarier for Water weak Pokemon to face? Idk, I guess it depends on the Pokemon. I'll give it to Swampy b/c it gets STAB Ground to play around with.

My vote still goes to Blastoise, though.

Mega Blastoise is absolute garbage and easily one of my least favourite Megas and least favourite Pokemon. Horrible design. I don't like regular Blastoise either though for the same reasons. I'm not too hot on Mega Swampert, it just looks so awkward and ungainly and its in-game model looks bad (why is it just holding its arms in the air? Rest them on the ground at least!) but I like it miles more than Blastoise. Regular Swampert is cool.

A head to head battle would probably end in a draw. Or, more likely:

Turn 1: Blastoise Mega evolves and uses Water Pulse to hit for neutral damage. Swampert Mega Evolves and uses Rain Dance.
Turn 2: Swampert strikes first with EQ for massive neutral damage, Blasty barely hangs on. Blasty counters with Rain and Launcher boosted Water Pulse and KO's Swampy

But that's not "more likely" in any way. In a head to head, why would you waste a turn to set rain only to use Earthquake (and power up Blastoise's Water moves for it lol) when it outspeeds Mega Blastoise 99% of the time anyway? (Blastoise runs little Speed while Swampert uses max mostly.) Might as well just use Earthquake twice and not straight up lose for setting the unnecessary rain.

Mega Blastoise generally uses Scald over Water Pulse too. The difference in base power is made up by the 30% burn chance.

252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 171-202 (47.7 - 56.4%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Mega Blastoise Water Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 153-181 (44.8 - 53%) -- 28.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Mega Blastoise Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 136-162 (39.8 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I don't give a shit about either, but if I have to choose, I suppose I prefer mega blastoise. Just looks a bit cooler I guess.

I dislike both megas as I find them aesthetically displeasing to their other starter counter parts. I do prefer Mega Swampert's design to Mega Blastoise's by far but I never use Mega Swampert because it is dreadful competitively.

I suppose Blastoise?

I don't like Mega Blastoise's design, specially the face. Plus, the small cannons in its arms look silly. Mega Swampert is an improvement over Swampert, on the other hand.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom