• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Possible Explanation For Abilities And Type Matchups?

Reaction score
Does anyone have any ideas of their own on how some Pokèmon abilities work or how some type matchups work?

One of the ways I think the matchup with Psychic and Dark works is that Psychic represensts the mind or mental capacity, which is how it triumphs over Fighting, which is more like brawn and willpower.

But I think Dark represents the unknown and everything we absolutely don't know anything solid about, and thus, all of our mental capacity being used to the max cannot bring any understanding in the least, which would be why Dark types are unaffected by Psychic type moves, but also making Dark type moves perfect against Psychic types.

But the Fighting type is highly effective against Dark types, while Dark types can't do much damage against Fighting types. I think the explanation for this is that Fighting represents willpower, which allows one to plow through the unknown regardless of a lack of knowledge about it, while the unknown cannot deter willpower so well.

As for abilities, I think Lightningrod works as a structure difference in the body of the Pokèmon with the ability. If electricity is attracted to metal, then they must have some kind of portion of their body with a strong metallic mineral composition that also has a strong magnetic property so as to draw in all electric attacks (excluding Discharge, of course).

Okay, ice types are good against flying types because of the bird's wings. Their wings cause them to be pelted when attacked with ice, and since their wings are so thin, the lose control over their wings.

Dragon types are weak to ice types because dragons have an 'inner fire' that allows them to use so many fire attacks. They're essentially cold-blooded, but they generate some sort of heat. When they're attacked by ice attacks, their heat shuts down and they grow weaker.

Levitate: Telekinesis and/or electromagnetism.

Clear Body: Something to do with the atomic structure not reacting with the opponent's moves.

Rock > Flying: Killing two birds with one stone, anyone?

I think Bug is super effective against Psychic, because in order for psychic abilities to work they need something complex, like super complex intelligence (like fighting). However bugs are simple creatures, who basically live on instinct and they were "programmed" to do something from start to finish, and they can't really alter their "programming" which what Psychic needs to have to be strong is something that is complex. Sorry for the weird explanation.

Psychic would be super effective against Poison, in the same vein as sort of a healing-light method using psychic abilities. (sorry for the non-Pokemon reference), but its like off of Charmed, and white lighter heal their charge. Because they use their "psychic" abilities. Or it could work in that poison boils because of the psychic kinetic energy.

Someone says Fighting against Steel being super effective is flawed because they say have you punched a steel door, was it super effective? The flaw in that is you aren't super strong think of it this way. Steel is a hard surface that has a *crap forgot the technical term* a specific limit of endurance to it. Fighting types are fighting for a reason they are supposed to be abnormally strong. Think of Superman, he has super strength, if he punched a steel door, don't you think it would be super effective? Superman the fighting/flying Pokemon.

Not sure if there are any other messed up match ups on there. I'll think of abilities later.

Dragon types are super-effective against other dragons because when two dragons clash, their instincts cause them to fight harder than they would against normal opponents. Like when Dialga fought Palkia or something.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom