• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pro wrestler Chris Benoit and family found dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is very tragic. At first I thought this was a publicity, but now I wish it was instead.

Blackjack showed me this. Wow, what a shock. I just don't want to believe it's real.

Even though it is real, it is hard to believe with all the silly shenanigans and fiascoes the WWE does with deaths and story. It's very upsetting though, and also one less Canadian celebrity in Hollywood.....

Yeah, now the police are saying that Benoit actually killed his family then killed himself... O.O No way I can believe that.

First Steve Irwin, now this...

Double murder suicide. o.o

One of my old teachers alerted me to this.

Steve Irwin, Eddie Guerrero, and now this....

i can't believe it. The cops said that he commited suicide by hanging himself after he strangled his wife and smothered his son.

And FoxNews is calling it 'roid rage. He methodically killed his wife and child over two days, placed Bibles next to their bodies, then killed himself on the third day. Because of 'roid rage. A three day 'roid rager. Because they found some in the house. FoxNews. Fair. Balanced. Conclusion jumpers.

<strike>Having been both a fan of pro wrestling for almost seven years and as a member of two wrestling news sites</strike>, I've certainly heard a lot of stories most of which everyone here have probably also heard. In addition though, I will say that nothing was ever really reported on any site about Benoit's real life attitude, mainly because he was given a pass backstage and generally respected by the Internet Wrestling Community.

Often enough, the unwritten law in the various wrestling companies (and also all sports to a degree) if your work is great, any problems you might have are brushed under the carpet.

His late wife was actually married before to a guy by the name of Kevin Sullivan who worked as the Taskmaster in various places including the now defunct WCW. Sullivan from what has been dug up also had a very brute and harsh attitude as well.

In addition, Nancy Benoit had actually filed for divorce in 2003 and obtained a restraining order against Chris, though the couple eventually reconciled.

Oddly enough, I was thinking about creating this same topic though didn't know how it would be met by those that don't regularly follow the pro wrestling business.

Last edited:
You know what galls me about this whole thing? The media is going to blame wrestling as an entertainment, just like they blame video games when something happens. And with Eddie not even a year dead, that's going to make it even worse.

Funny how no one blames, say, football when a football player goes off on someone.

And with Eddie not even a year dead, that's going to make it even worse.
IIRC, he died in late 2005. I remember that day pretty well.

Yesterday, I knew something was strange when a wrestling community I went to was down for quite a while. When I first heard this news, I was shocked and I felt really sorry for Benoit and his family. I have been a wrestling fan since 1998, and I always thought of Benoit as a great wrestler and person. Then more information came, and it said that he murdered both his wife and son, and then committed suicide. Now, I really don't know what to think about him. I don't know if I should feel angry, sorry, or just plain confused.

As for 'roid rage, I found an article that explains it a little better.
http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/2007/articles/1182900553.php said:
WWE.com posted an updated statement Tuesday criticizing the media for connecting Benoit's alleged steroid use to the double homicide-suicide he apparently committed this weekend.

Based on the stigma associated with pro wrestling and the fact that anabolic steroids were among the prescription drugs found in Benoit's home, a number of pundits and analysts have speculated that "roid rage" could be responsible for the tragic events.

But WWE cites a number of points in calling the "roid rage" speculation worthy of concern:

"1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts."

Daaaaamn. My brother is a huge WWE, and Benoit, fan. It's sad to see such a great guy go from the show, now that a fair few of the entertaining ones are gone =/

I feel like a dick for thinking this, but the thought of what the people at the head of WWE must be feeling now is amusing. They can't really pull off the 'o noez! mcmahon's ded!' thing now, with an actual death.

Ah well, hopefully they give him a good memorial, and not how they treated Sensational Sherry.

I'm sorry wrestling fans are upset. Even if you think he wasn't experiencing steroid-related rage, the fact is the prescription wasn't the wife's nor the kid's. Maybe it doesn't just make you Hulk-angry. It might also be possible to make you aggressive yet calm in a sociopathic-kinda way (I don't know that for sure, but it's a guess). He's a popular athlete, huge, in a violent sport with a penchant for melodrama ... even if steroids didn't cause, SOMETHING was being taken to screw him up.

Apparently some guy made an edit on Wikipedia in the Chris Benoit page stating his wife got killed...but the edit was made 14 hours before the police's prediction of when Benoit killed his wife. And the IP address was tracked to Stanford, Conneticut and WWE Headquarters is in Stanford. I dunno, but maybe this guy had one of those IP address changers, or Chris Benoit had an IP changer and did the editing,or WWE knew the deaths were coming.

you can find the article right here.

You misread something. It was made 14 hours before the police found the body. AFTER she had been dead for at least 24 hours. It could, very realistically, just be someone who misread something, made an assumption based on rumored information (there was a rumor going around that Benoit told friends he had to go home because of a "family emergency" and that his wife and child were "coughing up blood"), or any number of other innocent little things.

Hardly a smoking gun. Just a piece of information for the police to look into. I'm just curious about the toxicology reports. Should prove something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom