• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Project Mew

There's still the other form of Urshifu that Ash could get as a counterpart to this one. Perhaps during a future Isle of Armor arc.

Johto was a time when Ash hadn't yet adapted the philosophy of resetting his team for every new region, so I don't think it really counts as evidence.
Kanto battle frontier then? Ash called on his reserves; I.e. Charizard in the Articuno battle and used his entire Kanto team in the Brandon battle. That's at least 3 examples of ash using reserves because he couldn't rely entirely on his current team. 2 if you count the Johto battle and the Brendan battle (both resulting in losses and a swapping of teams). So yeah, the evidence is there.

I won't mind Ash using his reserves if, and only if, they are fall guys, so the current team can shine. Gengar (And too a lesser extent Dragonite) are really scraping by for screentime and development, which will be even worse if Ash decides to use his reserves.
That would be almost as bad as ash losing the Kalos league for the fandom. You can't have Pokemon like infernape or sceptile job in their battles when they are by far and away stronger than any Pokemon ash currently has. It's not believable in the slightest and it would annoy the fanbase.

Kanto battle frontier then? Ash called on his reserves; I.e. Charizard in the Articuno battle and used his entire Kanto team in the Brandon battle. That's at least 3 examples of ash using reserves because he couldn't rely entirely on his current team. 2 if you count the Johto battle and the Brendan battle (both resulting in losses and a swapping of teams). So yeah, the evidence is there.
Kanto Battle Frontier is a different story. It was essentially Ash's post-game adventure in difficult battle facilities. Those factors warrant cutting loose and using reserves.

Kanto Battle Frontier is a different story. It was essentially Ash's post-game adventure in difficult battle facilities. Those factors warrant cutting loose and using reserves.
What are you getting at? Ash faced Brendan (and lost) using his hoenn team and then switched to his kanto team. Ash did not plan this switch, rather he responded to a loss by changing his team. You also just changed your argument from *Ash is new* to *post game adventures don't count*. Accept that my point is valid and move on, lol.

What are you getting at? Ash faced Brendan (and lost) using his hoenn team and then switched to his kanto team. Ash did not plan this switch, rather he responded to a loss by changing his team. You also just changed your argument from *Ash is new* to *post game adventures don't count*. Accept that my point is valid and move on, lol.
Brandon wasn't the only Frontier Brain whom Ash battled using his reserves.

Brandon wasn't the only Frontier Brain whom Ash battled using his reserves.

Of course not, but hiddenmew's point was that it would be out of character for ash to opt with using reserves after a loss, instead of training his established Pokemon. He was right, it is out of Ash's character, but what i'm saying is that he's done it twice before (which we both acknowledged) which shows that there can be, or there has been an exception to that. I mean, i guess we can say neither one of us is right considering Ash is an animated figure headed by writers; thus the writers can do whatever they want with him, but the point was that there has been 2 examples of Ash doing that, lol. Anyway, let's move on.

Stop projecting yourself onto the writers. Have you done any polls on how the target audience regard Go? What does it have to do with Ash's team?

Also, the idea that Ash should treat the PWC like a badge quest is just a bit silly. Realistically, he needs all the help he can get to make it to the Master 8. His current team is solid but hardly balanced typing-wise.

The technique has a name, Smokescreen.
Favoured mostly by politicians and media.
Consists on an event that's used to divert people's attention from something else.

I never said that it was the case, just may be.
Most probably both things are unrelated, yet I wouldn't discard any conjecture.

Agreed, the PWC will become more serious and harder. Satoshi needs the reserves if his current team starts struggling.

No, I won't regard Iris as powerful until I see the Dragon Battle. BW did an awful job with that aspect of hers.

Last edited:
That didn't stop him from having three Flying types in Kalos.

Unless Lucario becomes a long ranged Fighting type, i don't see similarities between 2 close range Fighting types and 3 Flying types who were utilized differently
Talonflame - Close range Flying type
Hawlucha - Ground based attack Flying type
Noivern - Long range flying type

All three provided something different to the team, despite the type overlap.

I don't recall Ash's decision to use Charizard against Noland was because he couldn't rely entirely on his current team. I thought it was because he wanted to battle against Articuno and wanted to use Charizard against it. It didn't come off like he couldn't rely on his current team for that decision at least. Out of universe, it was also probably there to establish that reserves would be used throughout the arc. The evidence is there, but when both examples happened well over a decade ago, I don't think it's particularly strong evidence and it certainly doesn't feel within Ash's character to rely on reserves that often either. Those examples are more like exceptions rather than the norm for Ash.

I do wonder if Ash bringing back/them showing the older mons, is somehow damage control from the writers after the Goh getting Suicune backlash they got.

I don't really see the connection here. There was backlash from Goh capturing Suicune, although I'm not sure if Japanese fans reacted to it the same way some western fans did, but I don't see how showing off Ash's reserves is damage control. Given how long it takes to animate an episode, I assume that this arc was in development well before the Suicune episode aired, let alone before they heard any backlash from it.

I'd say that it's damage control for something Gou is going to do during the Arc.

That also seems a bit harsh. I don't think that the writers feel the same way about Goh as some fans do. I highly doubt that they are prepared for backlash so much to the point were they're anticipating it for this very arc and decided to bring back Ash's reserves to do damage control for backlash that hasn't happened yet.

Stop projecting yourself onto the writers. Have you done any polls on how the target audience regard Go? What does it have to do with Ash's team?

Also, the idea that Ash should treat the PWC like a badge quest is just a bit silly. Realistically, he needs all the help he can get to make it to the Master 8. His current team is solid but hardly balanced typing-wise.

The writers never really seemed to care about Ash having a balanced team typing-wise for Ash. I'm not just talking about his XY team either. His DP team was half weak to Ice type too. It's hard for me to see that Ash really needs that much help with the PWC when climbing the ranks can easily be done off-screen and difficult matches are few and far in between. Maybe they'll actually make the Hyper Class look challenging. Not relying on one-shot trainers or off-screen matches would help with that in particular, but I have my doubts about that. Since his current team has carried him to nearly the Hyper Class rank, even if it is mostly off-screen, I'm not sure how much using his reserves is a necessity to get to the Master 8.

And look how that ended up. Ash losing another league :LOL:

That was less on Ash's team and more due to the writers wanting to stick to the status quo and/or Mega Charizard X favoritism. Besides that, he still got the finals for the first time, so despite losing another League, I don't think it reflects badly on his XY team in that regard.

Gou catching Suicune did cause backlash in Japan, but it wasn't that outloud.
But the way they executed the monkey's plot, that really caused an uproar there.

The reason I don't discard the 'damage control' theory is due to the latter event, unless they didn't pay any mind to it.

I want them to stop relying on doing everything off-screen, the whole PWC thing is being mangled by this awful treatment. I'm not asking to completely drop the current team for the reserves, bringing one or two veterans at a time is far better.

Gou catching Suicune did cause backlash in Japan, but it wasn't that outloud.
But the way they executed the monkey's plot, that really caused an uproar there.

The reason I don't discard the 'damage control' theory is due to the latter event, unless they didn't pay any mind to it.

I want them to stop relying on doing everything off-screen, the whole PWC thing is being mangled by this awful treatment. I'm not asking to completely drop the current team for the reserves, bringing one or two veterans at a time is far better.
I kind of doubt that this Project Mew arc is damage control. If there indeed is some damage control, then it wouldn't be visible till early July at the least, by which time all the episodes teased in the preview would be done and dusted (assuming there aren't any fillers or breaks in between).

On topic, it's completely possible for reserves as well as the current team to be developed properly + simultaneously along with proper PWC progression (from Hyper Class onwards), and organically (instead of arbitrary single focus episodes). Question is, whether the writers are willing to do it and help steer the series in a course that would be for the better, whether they'd actually put in the effort?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom