• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pros and cons of every Pokemon manga series.

Maxim Posthumus

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Here. This is a thread where you can rate Pokemon mangas (not only Special). Tell their pros and cons. What do you like in them and what do you hate in them? That's the opinion thread. But no arguing, please.

OK, my rating.

Pokemon Special

Pros:
+ It's very popular, so things like snippets or spoilers are easier to find than other series (but still hard)
+ It's long and never gets boring or predictable.
+ It follows the game much closer than anime, so most of game characters and game plots are involved.
+ It has the best main characters.
+ Released in English (Volumes 1-7 in US by Viz, and 8+ only by Chuang Yi)

Cons:
- The most expensive. If you want to buy all the volumes you must save very long.
- Volumes by Mato (1-9) are too chibi for me.
- Elite4 as villains (how could I forget that)
- Holy Green Jelly who
revived 3 dead people!! (When I thought I'll FINALLY see death in Pokemon, it turned out that they were revived by two gods - Holy Ruby & Serebi)

-----
Dengeki Pikachu

Pros:
+ Boooooooobies!!!!
+ Satsuki Ookido - I like her design (not just boobies)
+ Has some twists between it and anime.
+ Some Pokemon look quite scary in the manga (which is cool).
+ Released in English. (though edited)

Cons:
- Volumes 3 and 4 don't have boobies :(
- Censhorship in US release.
- No continuity between chapters (which can be a pro in some case)
- Omissions. They omitted almost all gym leaders.
- Too short. If the manga had one more volume, some omitted parts could be involved.

-----
PIPIPI Adventure

Pros:
+ Unique and never predictable. Someone who expects regular Pokemon story can be quite shocked after seeing PIPIPI.
+ Quite interesting story.
+ Long-lived. Has 10 Volumes.
+ Has some good girl designs.
+ Released in English. (only Volumes 1-7)

Cons:
- Too chibi and shoujo (at least to me)
- i don't like characters names (but I DO realise they were a gag on PokeSpecial's character names)

-----
Chamo-Chamo Pretty

Pros:
+ I like Haruka's design.
(I've seen too little to tell other pros)

Cons:
- Too chibi and shoujo, again.
- So elusive. I saw almost nothing.

-----
Pocket Monsters

Pros:
+ Funny and interesting (at least in first 5 Volumes) manga.
+ Long-lived. 14 Volumes, with two sequels (RS and DP)
+ Quite fun art.
+ Unique designs (did you see PM's Elite 4? If yes, were you shocked when you first saw them?)
+ Released in English (but only by Chuang Yi)

Cons:
- There is almost no plot. This manga is one big gag.
- We saw Red's and Clefairy's balls (really).
- It got boring after Volume 5. These gags can really tire. But it got interesting again, in Volume 9 (which initiates GS Arc)

-----
Pokemon RS & DP (PM sequels)

Pros:
+ The same as Pocket Monsters's (except DP wasn't released in English [yet?])

Cons:
- Rehash of Pocket Monsters
- Didn't see it yet (I'm going to buy first Volume of RS)

-----
Pokemon Zensho

Pros:
+ Follows the GRB very closely (closer than any other series), so all characters and things like that are involved.
+ I Like the art.
+ I hapen to have it! Yeyeye.

Cons:
- Caves and routes are omitted. So, Satoshi caught most of Pokemon off-screen.
- Has poor battles (Elite 4 battles are all one-hit-KO's)
- Old Man Fuji as a villain *sic*
- Predictable (the side effect of close following game)

-----
Pokemon Gold & Silver - The Golden Boys

Pros:
+ It has really good art.
+ It follows the game in near-Zensho format ("near" makes a difference :p) up to Tanba *sic*.
+ Original Character Grey!
+ Involves quite many legendaries, as for a three-volume manga.
+ Released in English (though only by Chuang Yi)

Cons:
- The ending. It ends in Tanba with practically no plot resolution. It's a shame because if that manga could have last longer, we could see Itsuki and Carine in it, but well...

-----
Satoshi & Pikachu

Pros:
+ Where there is no Dengeki, there is S&P ;P
+ Pretty different from Dengeki, has different artist and less twists but it's still good
+ SHUUU!!! *LAUGHS*

Cons:
- Didn't see very much (I was going to buy first 3 Volumes, but it was unavailable)
- Predictable, of course.

-----
Pokemon Ranger W-Mission Webcomic Thingy

Pros:
+ Includes original character Iyori (I like her).
+ I like Kadzuki & Hinata's designs.
+ Legal to share, because it was never released on paper (it was Daisuki Website's project). So, it's not hard to find.

Cons:
- Terribly crappy. It Has small pages and is very short.
- It's INCORRECTLY known in the fandom as "Pokemon Ranger Manga". It's just W-Mission, not game itself.
- I would like to see Aria, Ragou or Imachi in it. But it's just a short W-Mission webcomic...

-----
Sailing! Pokemon Ranger!

Pros:
+ Yes. There is a real Pokemon Ranger manga.

Cons:
- It's impossible to get, 'cause it was never released in Tankobon. Practically only one thing I know about it is its existence.

-----
Card Ni Natta Wake

Pros:
+ From what I saw it looks very interesting.

Cons:
- Nearly impossible to get. I know almost nothing about it. Ketsuban was once going to scanslate it, but she somewhat gave up (possibly because of being too busy).

-----
Getto Da Ze!

Pros:
+ Looks interesting from what I saw.
+ Unique. It has 100% original story and characters.
+ It was released outside Asia. In France and Italy, but still very rare.

Cons:
- All what I have seen is informations and pictures from Dogasu's Backpack. If I could see anything more...

-----
Emerald Challenge - Battle Frontier

Pros:
+ Battle Frontier-centered manga! Yay!
+ I like Lilas's design! She's so cute in this manga (there was a belief that she's male in that series, but I've seen her picture and she's MUCH more feminine than in Special. So, I don't know what idiot spred this belief)
+ Released in English (by Chuang Yi). I'm going to buy it. Yay!

Cons:
- Smells like Golden Boys. It didn't even include all brains because it ended on one volume (maybe it bored Ihara).

-----
Pokemon DP (the one by Shigekatsu Ihara)

Pros:
+ Good looking DP manga, which has a fair chance for lasting long (we don't want DP Golden Boys, do we?).
+ I, for some reason LIKE green-haired Hikari (Mitsumi) and Hareta.
+ Includes all important characters.

Cons:
- I didn't see too much yet. But I believe it's going to change soon. We're counting at you, Sketch & Don-Tachi!

-----
Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon - Ginji's Rescue Party

Pros:
+ The long-awaited MD manga is out!
+ I like the story. Not very predictable and not boring.
+ Released in US by Viz (which isn't a big pro for me because I'll never buy it, but it increases the chance for some pictures)

Cons:
- If it only could be a little longer.
-
And if Ginji didn't turn human. If he didn't, we could get sequel based on MD2.

-----
Card Master

Pros:
+ Unique. All characters are original. The story is original as well, so it's not very predictable.
+ The Card-based manga is always a good thing, isn't it?

Cons:
- It's not based on TCG for GB! What's a shame. The TCG-GB based manga would be much more exciting.
- So hard to get... It was released in a Tankobon but it's nearly impossible to get nonetheless.
- Like Getto Da Ze, I didn't see anything beyond Dogasu's informations and pictures.

-----
Movie Adaptation thingies

Pros:
+ Depends on movie. The more differences, the better.
+ 7th Movie Adaptation's Haruno!

Cons:
- First 5 ones were never released in a Tankobon. So, they're extremely elusive.

-----
4Koma Thingy

Pros and Cons:
- I can't tell any because the only thing I saw from this manga was a cover.

-----
Snatcher Leo

Pros:
+ Yes! There is Colosseum manga!

Cons:
- Why do this Colosseum manga have to be impossible to get (again, never reelased in a Tankoubon)

-----
Comic Strip Thingies

Pros:
+ Released in English

Cons:
- CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! Pure gags, no plot.
- CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! Amateurish art.
- CRAP! CRAP! CRAP! Worst Pokemon comic ever.

OK. Your turn. Rate Pokemon mangas.

Last edited:
I won't let you down! We'll get that cat down from that tree! Just you- oh wait; we won't let you down. ;-;

Emerald Challenge Battle Frontier has Tucker, Lucy, and Anabel playing major roles (I.E. they have a chapter dedicated to them), Spencer has a couple pages showing his defeat. Anabel, of course, is the most focused on.

There is a chapter cover that shows them all...but only Brandon, Noland, and Greta don't show up.

The Battle Pyramid is focused on for a chapter, but Brandon doesn't show up.

I won't let you down! We'll get that cat down from that tree! Just you- oh wait; we won't let you down. ;-;

Yeah! Superhero!

Emerald Challenge Battle Frontier has Tucker, Lucy, and Anabel playing major roles (I.E. they have a chapter dedicated to them), Spencer has a couple pages showing his defeat. Anabel, of course, is the most focused on.

There is a chapter cover that shows them all...but only Brandon, Noland, and Greta don't show up.

The Battle Pyramid is focused on for a chapter, but Brandon doesn't show up.

I know. I've seen pictures. I liked their designs.

I've seen that chapter cover. They're all in shadows there.

Anyway, I'm buying this manga. But I reallty wish it included all the brains. It really smells like Golden Boys.

- i don't like characters names (but I DO realise they were a gag on PokeSpecial's character names)

Um what.

Edited for more clarity:

The PiPiPi characters are named after nuts. Except Koume, which is a type of plum, and also... well, Plum. It's a cute theme that has nothing to do with Special. NOT EVERY MANGA has something to do with Pokemon Special, and the sooner people get this through their heads, the better.

Last edited:
Pokemon Special has pretty boring art, and contrived plots (compared to other manga). But it's the only manga with a chance of seeing the light of day in the US.

Dengeki Pikachu had unique art and nice plots, but ended too soon.

Um what.

Edited for more clarity:

The PiPiPi characters are named after nuts. Except Koume, which is a type of plum, and also... well, Plum. It's a cute theme that has nothing to do with Special. NOT EVERY MANGA has something to do with Pokemon Special, and the sooner people get this through their heads, the better.

I know it. All mangas (except that W-Mission comic) have nothing to do with Special. Well, Zensho had some similarities and designs that could be based on Special.

And I know that characters in PiPiPi are (named after) nuts. Special characters are named after game titles (Colors, Metals, Gemstones, ya know). I always thought that PiPiPi's names are a gag on it. But it was just me. I sometimes fanwank, too :p

It would be pretty stupid to say that PiPiPi is based on Special (because it's not) but it's pretty doubtful that Tsukirino NEVER HEARD of Special.

Oh yeah, Nagisa was Sandy in English -- neither name having to do with nuts. (I already mentioned Plum before). And then there were Carob (Tamarind's boyfriend) and Akira.

Very much agreed on for all your cons in Special, save for the fact that I like chibi art.

Yes, I wish Zensho had been longer - possibly spanning a few more volumes.

Pipipi is *way* too shoujo, and even though I'm a girl, it's just too cutesy for me.

Why is it people complain about things being "too shojo", but you never hear about anyone complaining about things being "too shonen"?

If I was a girl I could say that :p

For me, shounen is... normal. And there is no Pokemon manga that is "too shounen". I never said that "PIPIPI SUCKU. SPECIAR IS BETTERU". But I still can have some preference, can't I?

Last edited:
Why is it people complain about things being "too shojo", but you never hear about anyone complaining about things being "too shonen"?

Instead of "too shounen" people say "lacking in character developement". Kinda the same thing...

Well, Pocket Monsters is way too shonen for me... I really did not to see all those genitals... >.<

Can't believe I forgot about that one...

just wondering, why should availability and accessibility of spoilers account towards a manga's pros and cons? Sure, it might make things more or less convenient when trying to become familiar with a certain manga, but once it's actually in your hands (or harddrive), all that should really matter is the content. Said content being stuff like the storyline and artwork.

yeah, that's something about several shoujo series. With typical shounen, it doesn't matter if it's mostly battle after battle between heroes and villains or not, there're still visible hints of a progressing story as the characters get stronger (usually having some important experiences in the midst of it, thus development) and one side begins to show signs of losing, eventually leading to a final showdown culminating in the protagonists getting closer to whatever their obstructed goal is. With a lot of shoujo, on the other hand, you've got storylines (usually something sugary sweet or just plain sappy) that seem to have little relevance to anything resembling an overarching plot, not even serving to develop characters, and may as well take place just anywhere within continuity (it only gets worse with the anime adaptions, which tend to be horribly episodic).

Pokemon Special
+Long exciting sagas! Takes the stories from the game and greatly expands and embellishes them, unpredictable and exciting
+Most things from the games make their way ingeniously into the manga!
+Exciting twists in battles happen due to things in the games like a Pokemon's ability or something about them in the Pokedex, not unlikely stuff like in the anime.
+A range of different and interesting characters with complex backstories which are continually expanded.

-I think the story quality has declined slightly since somewhere near the last few volumes of RS. Hope it picks up again. Nonetheless, it's still fun
-Have to wait so long for each new release volume in english :\ Still haven't even finished FRLG!
-Some of the characters are a bit too stereotypical or haven't received much character development yet [eg. Crystal]
-The Pokemon could get a bit more character development

PiPiPi aka Magical Pokemon Journey

+It's so fun! And so insane!
+You get used to the cute art after about 2 pages, and love it!
+Unpredictable and amusing.
+Pokemon get more character development than usual. And talk more
+The extras in each volume are often very fun

-I suppose some people don't like the cute art and stories
-Vol 2 was better than Vol 1. I read Vol 2 first but some people might quit after Vol 1.
-Vols 8-10 not in English! Don't get to read how it ends!
-Well, they're not exactly deep and meaningful sagas.

Dengeki Pikachu [Ono]

+First few volumes have original art and Ono's own take on the Pokemon world. He takes his own direction with the stories of the episodes his manga is based on and they end up more interesting than the anime. Some of it is very funny. I liked the Eevee Brothers chapter.

+Some of his more realistic Pokemon look really good

+Rocketshipping!

-The first volume was good as it was more Ono's own take on the Pokemon world. The interesting ideas and more original art were good. But in later volumes he copies the anime more and it's more boring

-Some of the Pokemon look too hideous

-The English version went overboard with the censorship, but still, some of the skimpy outfits in the original art a bit.. extreme

-Later volumes are more boring, especially if you've seen the episode he's adapting

Emerald Challenge - Battle Frontier

+Nice to finally see the Battle Frontier facilities in manga
+Some of the art is very nice, like of Vulpix/Ninetales
+Vulpix/Ninetales is one of my favourite Pokemon so I really enjoyed seeing it star
+Parts of the series are quite emotive
+Parts are quite amusing, especially things which appear literally like in the games
+Nice it took the 'your apprentice' thing from the game

-Too short and patchy. This could have been a long interesting saga detailing his entire journey to frontier champion, but instead it just takes various slices with huge empty gaps in between
-Not all frontier brains appear or are battled
-Main char doesn't have that much character development or backstory

Pocket Monsters
-I haven't read it, but some of the art looks hideous

Snatcher Leo
+Leo!!! [heart symbols..]
-Can't get it...

-I think the story quality has declined slightly since somewhere near the last few volumes of RS. Hope it picks up again. Nonetheless, it's still fun

you got that right.

Duh, I just happened to stumble upon Celebi and caught it before I even started my journey, and it brought all the dead characters back to life.

So... fucking... lame. -_- Although, once you see/spoil it, the ending to Fire Red/Leaf Green will be leagues better than Ruby/Sapphire.

+First few volumes have original art and Ono's own take on the Pokemon world. He takes his own direction with the stories of the episodes his manga is based on and they end up more interesting than the anime. Some of it is very funny. I liked the Eevee Brothers chapter.

yeah, and let's not forget that Satoshi lost against Hiroshi with a lot more dignity (as a matter of fact, he was kicking his sorry ass ^^... he only lost due to calling back, and that was only because he didn't want someone else's Pokemon to be fucking killed and mutilated right in front of them). Hiroshi still fails at life for being such a god damned clone, but major props to Ono for taking such a horrible character, still working him into the storyline, and managing to make him look a lot less like an Uber Sue than the anime did.

I also loved how Satoshi travels by himself at several points in the manga, absolutely no tag-alongs like the anime always feels just need to be there.

-The first volume was good as it was more Ono's own take on the Pokemon world. The interesting ideas and more original art were good. But in later volumes he copies the anime more and it's more boring

not exactly. I can give you that more similarities to the anime episodes played out, but he still managed to add several interesting things here and there (Jiggy cross-dressing XD, the aforementioned battle with Hiroshi, and Pikachu taking down a Kairyuu by delivering a shock from inside its mouth, which seems a lot more believable and just a touch more violent ^^). One shouldn't forget that the final two chapters of the manga were completely original stories, the former of which is quite funny.... I mean, Ookido and Masaki try to dissect Nyaasu. That is made of pure fucking win! XD

-Some of the Pokemon look too hideous

if they look ugly, that's fine. To convey the feeling of a hideous, scary monster, some designs should seem ugly. However, if you're saying the designs are just plain bad, then I gotta wonder what the hell you're smoking.

-The English version went overboard with the censorship, but still, some of the skimpy outfits in the original art a bit.. extreme

trust me, they're really not that bad. When you think about it, some people really do go around wearing stuff like that in real life, and even Musashi's "torpedoes" (as I recall The Big Al referred to them one time) aren't impossible in reality. Really, Ono just kinda uses the same sexualized, though still realistic, artwork that a lot of manga tends to use. And let it add that it's for the best if you just look at the original artwork... I mean, after seeing scans of the original I've obtained, I went back and looked at my old volumes of the Viz version. Good god, some of these edit jobs look like crap, like they just whited out a woman's chest and posted some sticker depicting a shirt, badly contrasting with the rest of the scenery. It's also worth noting that Viz replaced all the signs and other background writing with ads for fictional Pokemon products. In the original (as you'll probably see whenever the scanlation comes out), those ads were just regular-sounding products like you'd expect in real life (some of you might like what Viz did, but I liked what the original went with personally, as this shows, even if only a little, that the world doesn't revolve entirely around its wildlife like the rest of the franchise would make you think).

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom