• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica [Movie trilogy announced!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweet Veil

Bright Days
Reaction score
Seriously, this show is awesome, it's crazy but, it's awesome. When I heard about a Mahou Shojo Anime aimed at grown men, rather then little girls I almost laughed all day. But, seriously this is crazy this Anime is crazy. It completely destroys the whole "Magical Girl" idea. I'm up to Episode 8 at this point. I thought it would be a great Anime to discuss. Give it a chance if you have a free chance, it's kinda dark for a Magical Girl Anime and the story is really really engaging. Give it a shot. It's 11 episodes long.

Also, I wrote blog post about what I think of it if your interested. Granted my blog post aren't award winning in the area of being good post.

Madoka Magica-The 1st Episode What I Think - Blogs - Bulbagarden Forums

Madoka Magica-Episodes 2-5 What I think. - Blogs - Bulbagarden Forums

Madoka Magica Episodes 6-8 What I think - Blogs - Bulbagarden Forums

Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Hmm yes, this instantly became one of my favorites when I watched it. It was certainly far more interesting than any other magical girl anime I've watched in the past. The visuals were amazing.

I loved it, gorgeous animation, great storyline and the character were all so colorful and lively. Not to mention the music. I think everyone should watch this anime. <3

I loved this anime alot. The plot is so good, it is good to watch it unspoiled as this short anime is full of them. I cannot wait to see what Aniplex does with it with the rights to it :D.

Madoka is adorable and one of the most lovable characters there is. You just wanna give her a big hug. :3

Great show

Kyubey's my favorite character even though I was in a perpetual state of wanting to drop kick him.

All I have to say is...

Make a wish with me :3

That and I love this anime to death because of the amount of emotions it makes me go through from start to finish in just one episode.
The whole gambit of emotions in episode 10 >_>

12 episodes long, not 11 by the way... >.>

one of the best damn anime I've ever seen. Aside from the shock value (I had the pleasure of watching this without spoilers ^^), I have a heavy appreciation for deconstructions, especially when it comes to deconstructing the magical girl genre, a genre that usually (being geared towards young girls) features a LOT of cute fluff. And Yuki Kajiura is easily my favorite composer involved in the anime industry, so the soundtrack is also an automatic win for me (in fact, I first got into the series anticipating to hear her soundtrack, completely unaware of how outstanding the rest of this show would be).

I'd love to leave a detailed review of its strengths and weaknesses, but all I can say is that it blew me away. That show was amazing, especially the last three episodes.
I mean, Homura in a time loop? Madoka's AWESOME GODLY WISH? And then the end with Homura discussing "witches" with Kyubey? I just recount it and it astounds me. And I love making the mascot character the antagonist.

I love Madoka. It's one of my favorite series ever. Although I'm a fan of shoujo already, I think it's the best shoujo anime I have ever watched. The story is so rich and full of emotions and the music is also really nice. I can strongly relate to Madoka ^-^ I love Kyuubee too, although he is kinda evil..he's cute still!~ :3
To show my love for the series, here's what I bought from Tracon [Finnish Con]:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/Eewyi/kyyppakortti.png [this is fanart]
Also, I made a contract. [Sold my soul as well as gave some money, 60e [~85$//53£]
[http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/Eewyi/kyyppafront.png
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/Eewyi/kyyppaback.png
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t120/Eewyi/kyyppatagfront.png] [This is a 1:1 scale Kyuubee plushie, only 2 of them were brought there from Japan. This is not only a 1:1 scale plushie, but rare too, as it is so called "Ichiban KUJI" item which is given as a prize in certain shops in Japan if you take part in the lottery and are lucky. This Kyu here is "1st prize B", one of the most wanted and rarest items in the said lottery.]

Madoka was awesome. I was totally expecting something else when I watched it. The story, the characters, everything was amazing!

Sayaka is my favourite character... I really loved her story.

I watched this series earlier this week; and bloody hell, it's the only hyped thing I've seen that I can say deserves its hype (in fact, I'm listening to the full version of the ending theme now). I even cried during the last episode - because she sheer epicness, combined with Ave Maria (tomorrow is 2 years since my Nana's funeral, and the song was played during her funeral).

I went hunting for Kyubey plushes online last night; and bloody hell they're expensive...the customs limit in the UK is £18; no chance at all xD

I hear that due to Aniplex USA having licensed the show for the U.S., it's very hard for a UK company to get the license. I say, "If they want a bazillion pounds, give them a bajillion!" - I will do anything to see this series on Blu-Ray; I imagine the witch scenes in particular would look fantastic.

Madoka was awesome. I was totally expecting something else when I watched it. The story, the characters, everything was amazing!

Sayaka is my favourite character... I really loved her story.
I agree 100%; especially with Sayaka. I found that I could really relate to her. Although Madoka and Homura got more of the screen time towards the end, Sayaka was always the character that stood out the most for me.

Great show

Kyubey's my favorite character even though I was in a perpetual state of wanting to drop kick him.
Kyubey has to be the series' most interesting character. It was only up until episode 8 that I stopped completely agreeing with everything he said. Yet, he granted Madoka her wish, knowing it would completely mess up his plans.

In fact, you can read my review here.

I agree 100%; especially with Sayaka. I found that I could really relate to her. Although Madoka and Homura got more of the screen time towards the end, Sayaka was always the character that stood out the most for me.

There's no way in hell I could go for Sayaka's heroic idealisms (which ended up horribly backfiring on her, BTW), and one of the things I adored about this show in the first place was its cynicism. That said, I think I relate to Homura and Kyouko the most. They keep within realistic expectations and try harder than anyone else not to let the crapsack world they live in get them down (I don't need to mention Sayaka again, and remember how 3rd timeline Mami reacted when she found out they're fated to become witches?). Kyouko's philosophies of self-sustainment, especially, are something I tend to agree with.

On another note: a PSP game was announced recently. I so wanna import this baby. ^^

There's no way in hell I could go for Sayaka's heroic idealisms (which ended up horribly backfiring on her, BTW), and one of the things I adored about this show in the first place was its cynicism. That said, I think I relate to Homura and Kyouko the most. They keep within realistic expectations and try harder than anyone else not to let the crapsack world they live in get them down (I don't need to mention Sayaka again, and remember how 3rd timeline Mami reacted when she found out they're fated to become witches?). Kyouko's philosophies of self-sustainment, especially, are something I tend to agree with.

On another note: a PSP game was announced recently. I so wanna import this baby. ^^
The thing with Sayaka, is her view really appeals to those who, not only realise how crap the world is, but feel that they should do something about it. To that effect, I felt that Kyoko's views in particular were rather defeatest; being more of a "This is the way the world is; screw it." rather than "This is the way the world is; and that's why I have to change it". Wasn't that the main reason Sayaka and Kyoko didn't get on at all at first?

Thing is, I'd argue that Homura was similar to Sayaka; she constantly tried to go back in time to save Madoka; even after it failed time and time again. Sure, she may have stopped being the cheery young girl she was at first, but the fact that she didn't give up on Madoka shown that deep down. To me, that shows that she was a mixture of the two; realising the world was the cynical way it was, but not wanting to give up.

Personally, I am like Sayaka. That's why I grew attached to her more - I see the ugliness of the world and I want to try change it, although I know that ultimately, anything I can possibly do would have little or no effect.

Last edited:

The thing with Sayaka, is her view really appeals to those who, not only realise how crap the world is, but feel that they should do something about it. To that effect, I felt that Kyoko's views in particular were rather defeatest; being more of a "This is the way the world is; screw it." rather than "This is the way the world is; and that's why I have to change it". Wasn't that the main reason Sayaka and Kyoko didn't get on at all at first?

Thing is, I'd argue that Homura was similar to Sayaka; she constantly tried to go back in time to save Madoka; even after it failed time and time again. Sure, she may have stopped being the cheery young girl she was at first, but the fact that she didn't give up on Madoka shown that deep down. To me, that shows that she was a mixture of the two; realising the world was the cynical way it was, but not wanting to give up.

Personally, I am like Sayaka. That's why I grew attached to her more - I see the ugliness of the world and I want to try change it, although I know that ultimately, anything I can possibly do would have little or no effect.

but when she did realize that nothing she did was doing any good, that the world she think she's making a difference to protect is a rotten one full of womanizers and other scumbags and where nothing can go her way, wasn't it Sayaka that was being more of a defeatist then? And Homura's quite an interesting case: although she goes to huge extremes for the sake of keeping her friend's promise (which was pretty much the ONLY thing driving her after a while), the timeloops no doubt broke her, and she can easily be viewed as a cynic in the present story. Hell, TVTropes even quotes her at the top of the page, as a defining example of how this is NOT your average mahou shoujo.

"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a magical girl."

According the the Madoka facebook page, they started dubbing the anime yesterday... Can't wait D:

According the the Madoka facebook page, they started dubbing the anime yesterday... Can't wait D:
To add to that, they'll be announcing who's voicing Madoka on the 14th!

EDIT: Looking at their FB page...made me wish I lived in the U.S....

I live about 1500-2000 miles south of New York, so I have no chance of being there either, if it's any consolation :(

BD/DVD Volume 1 is going to be released in the US on Valentine's day, 2012... I'm gonna miss out D:

Volume 2 and 3 come out April 10th and June 12th...

Last edited:

I live about 1500-2000 miles south of New York, so I have no chance of being there either, if it's any consolation :(

BD/DVD Volume 1 is going to be released in the US on Valentine's day, 2012... I'm gonna miss out D:

Volume 2 and 3 come out April 10th and June 12th...

Unfortunately, the limited editions are 75 bucks a pop. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom