• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate my first competitive team (updated)

ChaosJester13

Reaction score
So i havent fully gotten to test out my team yet. But this is what it consists of so far.

"Alucard" - Crobat (M) @ Flying Gem
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly
- Acrobatics
- Toxic
- Confuse Ray
- Defog

Crobat is normally my lead, with her speed i can normally go before most teams leads. i have Confuse Ray for the other teams lead or anyone else they send out,Toxic to wear them down, Defog for entry hazards they might set up, and Acrobatics with flying gem if i need to hit them hard.

"Pyre" - Chandelure (M) @ Fire Gem
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Nature: Modest
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Energy Ball

Chandelure is my special sweeper, if i know im going to get hit with a fire attack i always send him in for the flash fire, and with his speed i can normally attack first. Fire Blast for STAB with Fire gem, Shadow Ball for Psychic's and other Ghosts, and Energy Ball to cover my weakness.

"Aquaman" - Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SDef
Nature: Calm
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Vaporeon is my healer/wall and is very good at it. Water absorb is also helpful if i need to switch out Chadelure. Wish to heal either itself or a teammate, Protect to stall, Scald for STAB, and Ice Beam for dragons and such.

"TX1000" - Metagross @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Clear Body
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
Nature: Adamant
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake

Metagross is my physical tank, i try to bring him in later in the battle to finish off any worn down members of the other team. Bullet Punch for priority kills, Meteor Mash for heavy damage, Rock Polish if i got time, and Earthquake to help with fire.

"Dovahkiin" - Dragonite (F) @ Persim Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Thunder Punch
- Dragon Dance

Dragonite is my physical sweeper, with Multiscale i can normally set up dragon dance for the extra power and speed. Normally followed by Outrage with the Persim Berry to get rid of confusion after, Thunder punch to help with any water types with ice beam, and extreme speed for priority attacks/kills.

"Hulk" - Machamp (M) @ Fighting Gem
Ability: No Guard
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 Def
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge

Not sure what to consider my Machamp, i guess another physical sweeper. Like Metagross, i bring him in late battle to clean up the leftovers. I have a love/hate relationship with No Guard, mostly when someone uses a OHKO. Ice and Thunder Punch and Stone Edge for diversity in coverage. Dynamic Punch for STAB and to confuse them after.

So thats my team as it stands now but ive been thinking of switching back in my Reuniclus, and this is its stats. So let me know any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, anything.

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Nature: Modest
- Recover
- Psychic
- Future Sight
- Trick Room

When i had Reuniclus on my team he was my staller. with Trick Room and Recover i could normally keep him out for a couple turns with little to no harm done. Psychic for STAB and Future Sight to hit them if i need to keep stalling.

Last edited:
Re: Rate my first competitive team

You need far more extended descriptions if you want anybody to be able to rate this.

@ChaosJester13 ; Defog doesn't actually work the way you think it does. It removes entry hazards from the target's side of the field, which makes it pretty much useless. There was a lot of confusion over this when Gen V was first released, so I can see why you thought that way. Gems aren't very good items usually and can often easily be replaced by Choice items or a Life Orb, but it is alright on Crobat or other things that take advantage of Acrobatics or Unburden. Things like Rocky Helmet and Persim Berry are outclassed by Life Orb and Lum berry on Meta and Nite, though.

The movesets are alright for the most part, although the EVs are a bit choppy. It's best to maximise a Pokemon's best assets (such as Machamp's Attack, rather than Special defense, unless you were running specific sets with Bulk Up or something), and to look at some pre-made sets if you aren't entirely sure what suits what best. Smogon is renowned for its effective sets, and it's recommended you start there until you get a thorough understanding and decide to make your own sets.

You are using "Three" Gems That really wont help you in competitive battling. Especially since you are wasting on stupid Items. The Acrobatics and flying gem is ok but the other two are pointless and should be replaced for better items.

You should still be writing a lot more. Detailing the reason you chose everything you did and how it works together to cover the metagame.

In agreement with the other posters I agree with them. All the gems except for the flying gem shouldn't be used. I see alot of people use normal gem for explosion or retaliate or something of that nature. Fire gem and fighting are kinda useless. I would use life orb for or a choice item of some sort. Now you should definatly have Lum berry on Dragonite. Not just for confusion but for those pesky will-o-wisp users or people trying to toxic or t-wave you.

i like this team and i think its strong but... in OU it might be very hard for you to win against rain teams, also you dont use any choice items so many pokemon will outspeed you.
I only say this because you said competitive. You will have almost no chance against genies. And the only use of gems should be on pokemon that can profit from not having an item, so its a good choice only on crobat.
Also ;PP dont use 2 same type moves on a pokemon, you used 2 psychic types on Reuniclus, you will fight against a steel pokemon and you will do no damage to it... Plus dont use trick room unless you run a trick room team, at least thats what i think

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom