• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rate the video game music above

So basically Tarzan music. 8/10, only loses out on points because it's been a long time since I last saw this film so I can't give it extra for any nostalgia I might have had in the past.

Battle Garegga is a rather controversial shooter. For those who enjoy it, it's one of the best shmups of the genre and a challenge worth grinding. For those who don't, the gritty and dark graphical style as well as the dynamic difficulty which forces you to do unconventional tactics (dying on purpose to keep the "rank" down) are the major points of contention. Despite this, the game is still seen as a classic, perhaps helped in part by its music - composed by a young Manabu Namiki, the arcade board brings out the amazing potential of the YM2151 sound chip (the likes of which I have mentioned previous times such as in my Etrian Odyssey posts, being the main FM synth chip used in EOIII and EOV's FM synth DLC). There's been many arrangements of this song over the years, but for now, let me present to you the original version of the game's first stage theme, Fly to the Leaden Sky!

Fly to the Leaden Sky [STAGE1 – VALLEY] / Manabu Namiki
BATTLE GAREGGA COMPLETE SOUNDTRACK

バトルガレッガ コンプリートサウンドトラック

On a side note, no, you may not be the only one who's reminded of Eschatos. I'm pretty sure Yosuke Yasui used a similar (or the same) sound chips when he composed stuff like SILVER LINING, among other songs on the same soundtrack.

So this is what happens when you bring an old 80's sound chip into the 90's... you get a sound that's kind of the best of both worlds, I think. Synthy like the former but with the musical flourishes of the latter... which makes it both a really good track for shooting things to and an engaging and musically interesting track by itself. 9/10
Also, on a side note, I'm fairly sure you already posted some music from him - specifically, the music from the unreleased Time Trax!

Indeed I did... how about some more to continue this lttle theme of old sound chips being pushed to their limits?

I remember this game... not necessarily its music, though. Lower sound quality aside, this actually reminds me more of a SNES song than a GBA song, which is definitely a good thing by the typical standards of the latter... and quite surprising for a launch game, too! 8/10.

For the last few posts, we've had songs from Pokémon, songs that convey a sense of incoming dread, and songs from a GBA game. So how about a song that has all three of these qualities in one?

8.5/10. You could easily hear this in an orchestra!

More Manabu Namiki, because why not? Now, disclaimer - despite the name of the video, this song actually comes from DODONPACHI SAIDAIOUJOU rather than DODONPACHI MAXIMUM, the latter being an original spinoff on mobile devices.

Ran (Stage1) / Manabu Namiki (Basiscape)
ラン (Stage1) / 並木 学 (ベイシスケイプ)
DODONPACHI SAIDAIOUJOU / DODONPACHI MAXIMUM ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK
怒首領蜂最大往生/DODONPACHI MAXIMUM オリジナルサウンドトラック

Back
Top Bottom