• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

(READ FIRST POST) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

Re: (READ POST #18) Gen VI Rant/Complaint/Disappointment Thread

To be honest I'm just disappointed with the concept of Mega-evos because I want the Pokemon franchise to be entirely different to Digimon.

Ugh not this damn argument again. Temporary form changes to enhance your abilities are nothing new. It's a mechanic that is relatively common in most RPGs. Pokemon is simply an example of a RPG franchise that hasn't made a big deal of such a mechanic (outside of a select few legendary and non-legendary pokemon) until now.

To be honest I'm just disappointed with the concept of Mega-evos because I want the Pokemon franchise to be entirely different to Digimon.

Ugh not this damn argument again. Temporary form changes to enhance your abilities are nothing new. It's a mechanic that is relatively common in most RPGs. Pokemon is simply an example of a RPG franchise that hasn't made a big deal of such a mechanic (outside of a select few legendary and non-legendary pokemon) until now.

Sir Random_Pyro, I'd like to first apologize if I have offended you by my comment. I must admit that I just put my opinion on the thread without reading its entirety. Going back to my comment, I'd like to be honest with you. I really, really hate the concept of Mega-Evolution because it begs for the comparison to the way Digimon evolve. I have always thought that Pokemon was about permanent evolution and that the maximum number of evolutions per pokemon would be 2. I get that Nintendo did this in order to introduce a new mechanic to the game, but if they wanted to boost fan favorite Pokemon, they should have just stuck to forme changes rather than calling them as another form of evolution. You yourself made that clear that it is a form change. With Meg-Evo, pokemon that only has 1 or 2 stages of evolution are stuck to the stage where it is able to Mega-Evolve and the only way to give them that third one is for them to have baby stages. Instead, they should have just made a higher stage of evolution, like what they did to Rhydon, Electabuzz and Magmar. Would you rather have a pimped out version of a Pokemon or another evolution? Personally I'd go for the latter because it goes along with how the mechanics of Pokemon was developed. As for the three-stage types, they should have introduced items that can be used to change their forms permanently (or at least up until when they want to change them again, i.e.: Meloetta, Kami Trio). I'm would like to apologize in advance if ever I have offended you further with this reply. Let's just both agree to disagree if ever I have not swayed you with my opinion.

Sir Random_Pyro, I'd like to first apologize if I have offended you by my comment. I must admit that I just put my opinion on the thread without reading its entirety. Going back to my comment, I'd like to be honest with you. I really, really hate the concept of Mega-Evolution because it begs for the comparison to the way Digimon evolve. I have always thought that Pokemon was about permanent evolution and that the maximum number of evolutions per pokemon would be 2. I get that Nintendo did this in order to introduce a new mechanic to the game, but if they wanted to boost fan favorite Pokemon, they should have just stuck to forme changes rather than calling them as another form of evolution. You yourself made that clear that it is a form change. With Meg-Evo, pokemon that only has 1 or 2 stages of evolution are stuck to the stage where it is able to Mega-Evolve and the only way to give them that third one is for them to have baby stages. Instead, they should have just made a higher stage of evolution, like what they did to Rhydon, Electabuzz and Magmar. Would you rather have a pimped out version of a Pokemon or another evolution? Personally I'd go for the latter because it goes along with how the mechanics of Pokemon was developed. As for the three-stage types, they should have introduced items that can be used to change their forms permanently (or at least up until when they want to change them again, i.e.: Meloetta, Kami Trio). I'm would like to apologize in advance if ever I have offended you further with this reply. Let's just both agree to disagree if ever I have not swayed you with my opinion.

Offended? No. Annoyed? Yes. Agreeing to disagree sounds like a good idea however.

I really, really hate the concept of Mega-Evolution because it begs for the comparison to the way Digimon evolve. I have always thought that Pokemon was about permanent evolution and that the maximum number of evolutions per pokemon would be 2.
I hate "Mega Evolution" as a name, especially because Pokemon as a series has, like you said, used the term "evolution" primarily for permanent Pokemon evolution. The actual mechanic, on the other hand, is a blast (more so if you don't typically use held items).

Hold Back is event-exclusive. On top of it already being rather pointless, the event-exclusive Celebi gets it. Now I'm torn whether I'll be keeping it or scrapping it to make Celebi useful.

I really, really hate the concept of Mega-Evolution because it begs for the comparison to the way Digimon evolve. I have always thought that Pokemon was about permanent evolution and that the maximum number of evolutions per pokemon would be 2.
I hate "Mega Evolution" as a name, especially because Pokemon as a series has, like you said, used the term "evolution" primarily for permanent Pokemon evolution. The actual mechanic, on the other hand, is a blast (more so if you don't typically use held items).
I think the main reason they compare it to Digimon is because of the name, if it had a different name people would be comparing it to Digimon alot less. Also Digimon didn't create this concept, Mega Evolution is basically a powered-up form on the same line as Super Saiyan from Dragon Ball Z or the Power Rangers.

Last edited:

Hold Back is event-exclusive. On top of it already being rather pointless, the event-exclusive Celebi gets it. Now I'm torn whether I'll be keeping it or scrapping it to make Celebi useful.

"Hold Back inflicts damage, but will leave the target with 1 HP if it would otherwise cause it to faint. If the target has 1 HP remaining, Hold Back will hit and leave the target at 1 HP."

So its basically False Swipe.....they made an event exclusive version of False Swipe. They couldn't give it the much better Happy Hour?

"Hold Back inflicts damage, but will leave the target with 1 HP if it would otherwise cause it to faint. If the target has 1 HP remaining, Hold Back will hit and leave the target at 1 HP."

So its basically False Swipe.....they made an event exclusive version of False Swipe. They couldn't give it the much better Happy Hour?
It's still better than Celebrate....

Not sure if this would be a complaint or a disappointment, but I liked how in Gens IV and V's Battle Tower/Battle Subway, our partner in multi battles(the Stat Trainers in Gen IV/the other PC in Gen V) had so many options for the Pokemon they could bring with them. Gen V even took it a step further by having us choose a Balanced, Offensive, or a Defensive team.

At the Battle Maison, however; Shauna, Trevor, and Tierno only have two Pokemon each and they will ALWAYS be the exact same Pokemon. This is especially bothersome because not only does Shauna's Slyveon in particular have a pretty terrible moveset (which is a complaint), but Shauna seems to have a pitiful AI herself, as her Goodra will use Earthquake no matter if it affects me or not, which can be especially hindering and something I don't remember happening so much in the past games. Maybe it did, but I don't remember having this much of a problem with it on the rare occasions when her Sylveon faints. I've had instances in White and Black 2 when they hit a Pokemon when they really should've opted to hit the other, but I can't remember many times when they've used moves that would hit me unless I'm not affected by it.

I should also note that I don't really have this problem with Trevor and Tierno, either. Particularly Trevor, who has a Pokemon with Earthquake, too; I don't remember him hitting me with it. Probably because they have Pokemon with good movesets, but I'd still like it if they had more than the same two permanent options.

I know I could always pick one of the 3DS friends who typically have better Pokemon, but...their character models just freak me out. That's probably not a good reason for only picking my friends, but...I can't take those eyes!

I know I could always pick one of the 3DS friends who typically have better Pokemon, but...their character models just freak me out. That's probably not a good reason for only picking my friends, but...I can't take those eyes!
It's really weird they did that. What reason could there possibly be to make them look so dopey?

It's really weird they did that. What reason could there possibly be to make them look so dopey?

I have no idea, but I'm highly disturbed by it. The only thing I could think of was them trying to make them look "Mii-like".

This isn't a complaint against Game Freak (as you're able to turn it off), but more of something that I'm annoyed with myself about-I regret breezing through the game with the EXP All. It took out a lot of the fun for me when I was consistently 5+ levels above everyone I met, and climactic battles ended up not being climactic because I swept the opponent's team in a matter of minutes. I didn't like being able to ignore half my team and still have them level up; it seemed like negligence to me and, as someone very familiar with grinding/training in JRPGs, felt much too easy. I'm seriously considering buying the other version (X) , something I usually never do, just because this is bothering me so much (I don't want to start a new game in Y, as I've already logged quite a large amount of hours into it). As I mentioned above, I don't blame Game Freak for this feature, especially with the emphasis on having the game progress quite quickly to rival the now ubiquitous competition of mobile gaming, but I personally will not be using it in the next game.

I hear ya. I kept my Exp.Share off 99% of the time and my levels were generally on par (or just slightly below) the opponents in high-stakes battles -- and they totally rocked for it. I don't necessarily mind being able to give Exp. to the whole party, but with G6 literally multiplying the experience by the # of Pokemon in battle (instead of distributing it -- remember G1's Exp.Share?) it outright breaks the intended difficulty curve of the game.

The overworld was simultaneously wonderful and lacking, and the plot was a complete rehash.

Lumiose is probably the best thing ever--it's Castelia done correctly--but every other city just sort of... lacked. Once you defeated the Gym and explored the neat first-person view dungeon (Tower of Mastery, Icy Mountain thing, Pokeball Factory), the town became entirely irrelevant except for it's boutiques, and even then, if you're playing as the male character, those become irrelevant fairly quickly, too. The 3D everything was glorious and brought the overworld to life... but it also revealed that the overworld didn't have much life to it in the first place.

Also, we've seen this plot before. Sure, the Mega Evolution plot is new, but it doesn't last long--once you finish the Tower of Mastery, everyone stops caring about it. Other than that, we get the Team Flare plot, which is, again, not new.

Team Flare is a villainous team dressed in ridiculous outfits with ridiculous hairstyles. They are evil, and you know they're evil because they basically tell you this (which is not realistic in the slightest). Their ultimate goal is to destroy everything and everyone that isn't them, because, like they said, they're evil and they enjoy doing evil things. Their executives are like their grunts--really freaking weird looking. They're basically more sadistic versions of the grunts. The boss is someone you meet early on, and in the end you find that his ultimate plan is to destroy everything, including the Team he commands, and reshape the world from scratch to his liking. He fails and is presumed dead, though we never see this.

Sound familiar?

Team Galactic is a villainous team dressed in ridiculous outfits with ridiculous hairstyles. They are evil, and you know they're evil because they basically tell you this (which is not realistic in the slightest). Their ultimate goal is to destroy everything and everyone that isn't them, because, like they said, they're evil and they enjoy doing evil things. Their executives are like their grunts--really freaking weird looking. They're basically more sadistic versions of the grunts. The boss is someone you meet early on, and in the end you find that his ultimate plan is to destroy everything, including the Team he commands, and reshape the world from scratch to his liking. He fails and is presumed dead, though we never see this.

Lysandre is Cyrus. Like Cyrus, his executives are a harem of weird-looking women. The grunts are basically interchangeable. All of this amounts to Team Flare being the biggest disappointment to me. I was hoping for a worthwhile Team, but we ended up getting what I would consider the worst Team before Team Flare, a second time.

Once you defeated the Gym and explored the neat first-person view dungeon (Tower of Mastery, Icy Mountain thing, Pokeball Factory), the town became entirely irrelevant except for it's boutiques, and even then, if you're playing as the male character, those become irrelevant fairly quickly, too.
Technically there are no "first person" anything in the Pokemon world. Glittering Cave's over-the-shoulder perspective was pretty unique though.

Otherwise I agree that virtually every town here was a one-shot 'episode' and very few places were worth visiting repeatedly. Shalour City's definitely the biggest victim here -- the Tower of Mastery was totally hyped with being key to Mega Evolution, the guy inside won't even let you climb up it without permission, and ultimately what happens? You get the Mega Ring, fight Korrina in a tutorial-grade Mega battle, then promptly leave and forget about it? It was nothing more than just a historical dedication to the discovery of Mega Evolution? LETDOWN.

It's safe to say that I haven't picked the game up in a month. At least, that's how long it feels. In post, I can probably say it's due to the lack of new content - it didn't take me long to experience all the new Pokemon available. So, I've been having a lot of more fun with the anime.

Yeah, I haven't picked up the game in a while because there's not much to do right now. Once Bank gets its issues figured out I'll play some more because I'll be able to transfer over and pet my old 'mons, but I'm just not feeling the game at all right now.

I really don't like restarting my games, but I might think about buying Y at some point so I can play through again (I like owning all versions anyway, so it might rekindle some interest for me)

It's still better than Celebrate....

I had to google to understand. Suddenly I want another beer. Tell me Gen VII region is based after Germany, please...

or Ireland.

I don't know if I said it before, but the lack of Cynthia. Her Togekiss got re-typed and her Garchomp mega'd. Plus, Roserade is STABSE against the new Fairies.

SINNOH CONFIRMED!!!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom