• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Recharging internal batteries on GBC games?

AshKetchum17

Ash Fangirl
Reaction score
I have a few older Pokemon games that have had the internal batteries run out, and I was wondering if there was a way to recharge them. I seem to remember reading a thread a while ago that said you could recharge them by plugging your GBC into a power source and leaving it on for a few days with the game inside. Is that true? Or do I have to buy new batteries and change them before I can save my game again?

I was also wondering, if the recharge thing actually works, if it can only be done with the Pokemon games or if it would work with any GBC game.

You need to put whole new batteries in the game. You cannot recharge a battery if it's not a rechargeable.

hey, I'm wondering: is it at all possible to just completely replace an old game (any game, not just GBC) cartridge's battery with something more current such as flash memory?

hey, I'm wondering: is it at all possible to just completely replace an old game (any game, not just GBC) cartridge's battery with something more current such as flash memory?

I don't think so-you'd pretty much have to reengineer everything.

Thanks, guys. I tried the "recharge" thing with my copy of Pokemon Trading Card Game, and it actually does seem to be working. Before, the game wouldn't allow me to save and shut off without erasing my data, but I've left it plugged in for almost 24 hours now and have shut it off twice. Both times it allowed me to access my previously saved file when I turned it back on.

So I guess there is at least some truth to the recharge theory.

Thanks, guys. I tried the "recharge" thing with my copy of Pokemon Trading Card Game, and it actually does seem to be working. Before, the game wouldn't allow me to save and shut off without erasing my data, but I've left it plugged in for almost 24 hours now and have shut it off twice. Both times it allowed me to access my previously saved file when I turned it back on.

So I guess there is at least some truth to the recharge theory.

Wow, I'm a bit surprised its working. I hope its not just a fluke. I would very much like to play my crystal again... Now I just gotta pick up a GBC again and find out myself.

I was a bit surprised myself. It might be a fluke, because both times I turned the game off was by accidently flipping the wrong wall switch when turning on a light, and it was turned back on within 30 seconds. But I was never able to get the game to save, shut off, and reload with my save file before, so it's made some difference at least.

EDIT: I just tried shutting it off for several minutes, and when I turned it back on it still allowed me to access my saved game. I also tried taking it out of the GameBoy that I have plugged in and then trying it in another one. It let me access my save file with no trouble at all. So I think this recharge thing actually does work, you don't need to replace the internal battery to make the game usable/savable again.

Hmmm... I know Ruby and Sapphire had problems with the time-based events once the battery was dead. I wonder if this would work for those games as well? I can't test it myself, because I haven't had any trouble with my copies of the games, but it'd be cool if it did work.

EDIT #2: After a power outage last night, the game seems to have gone back to not permitting me to load my savefile. So maybe it doesn't fully recharge, but does allow you to save and access your game.

Last edited:
I tried it with my Gold which which wouldn't hold a save file. It now works too. So you can recharge the game's battery.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom