• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Red/Blue Sugimori Art

Catstorm

Reaction score
Last updated 3/7/2015: We have hit the mother-lode. A ton of super high quality scans have surfaced through Ebay sellers. I've updated a lot of the images. Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Persian, Pidgeot, and Rhydon added with transparency.

I noticed that there has not really been much of an active effort to go after the Ken Sugimori art that was used for stuff like the Pokemon TCG and served as the base model for the 'anime art' and the vector art that would be used often in American stuff. This is actually art from Red and Green, not Red and Blue, and was on some of the earliest collectable cards and promotional images - it also bears obvious resemblance to the original sprites of R/G.

Spr_1g_004.png 004v2.png Spr_1g_106.png 106.png

Thus, the art that is on the Bulbagarden Archives as "Red and Green" is actually from Red and Blue / JP Blue and this needs to be changed...

For the past year or two, I've been searching the Internet for good pictures of the hard-to-find art. This database that I've created contains as much of the Red/Green Pokemon art as I could find, some transparent and some left unedited. These are from:

1) Bandai Monsters Collection cards, usually around 600x600 px. Someone put up a ton of them on Ebay with huge scans, but not all of them are available.
2) Amada stickers. Their first set featured Red/Green art. People post these all the time on collectors' websites, but the scans are obnoxiously small.
3) In another thread that was posted here, someone posted scans from the Japanese Blue Version official guide. I took some of those and made them transparent.
4) TCG scans that weren't on the Bulbagarden Archives yet (e.g. Chansey). However, I put the ones from Bulbapedia that had already been done (e.g. Machamp) into the folder for completeness.

I haven't had the time or resources to edit all of the images, sadly, but I've got some of them done. There may be multiple versions if there are color or quality differences (e.g. Ivysaur from the TCG and Ivysaur's Monsters Collection card are very different colors).

This sub-folder is from a website that my dad archived for me years ago, containing all the Sugimori art as tiny .gifs. They're probably way too small to use, but you can see them all clearly. Many Pokemon fansites in the very, very old days used to use these, because they came straight from a page on pokemon.co.jp. I've included them for reference and historical purposes.

If anyone has an artbook featuring this art, such as the Pocket Monsters Encyclopedia / ポケットモンスター大事典, scanning it would be extremely appreciated - in order to surpass the Monsters Collection images in quality, the individual Pokemon images should probably be larger than 600x600px. If you've discovered other Sugimori art that isn't available online, that would be cool too.

Please feel free to use these without credit. If you make any of them transparent, post them here so that I can update them. Thanks!

Last edited:
Whoa, neat. Good work. Any chances of adding Trainer art to the compilation? I love the old, more shounen-ey art style of the first two generations, before it got all clichedly animeish.

I might consider looking for trainer art, but they are probably harder to find. I'd wager that the best place to look would be in the japanese Blue guidebook, since usually guides have official art in the margins or as illustrations, but I haven't been able to find any scans other than the ones posted here.

EDIT: Found some more clean versions of Red/Blue art that I haven't seen before in high quality at this website. I added the ones that I needed to the folder with credit.

Last edited:
If I recall right, they were originally found on an online Pokedex, but most of the newly added versions that we have now seem to come from large scanned images, according to their metadata on the Archives. The RBY English strategy guides may have had them, if not the anime vector art. Some TCG cards also have them.

An update: The Pokedex book that has all the red/blue art is called ポケットモンスター図鑑 (Pocket Monsters Encyclopedia) and was made for Red/Green and published by Famitsu. Here is a webpage of some pictures of the inside. (Notably, Arcanine is grouped with the bird trio as 'Legendary Pokemon'.)

Quality post. Thank you for sharing this. I ought to put up my wealth of images some day in an archival/permanent place.

Thanks for the reply.

On a more general note: If there's any way to easily get some of the better quality images (Chansey, etc) onto the Archives, I would like to know. I am not good with the wiki and I have tried editing before but I am a royal screw-up when it comes to it, and having editing experience is required to upload pics. :\

I'm a bit confused what you are looking for, but I have most of the original, fossil, jungle and rocket trading cards, so if you need a scan of any particular one, let me know.

Sorry, I've already used all the art from TCG cards - I got them at a different website and they were high quality enough to use. Besides that, the Monsters Collection cards are much higher quality anyway and have a lighter background than the tcg cards so I can see the outlines a lot easier when I'm working on making them transparent. I've replaced a couple of the TCG versions already. But thanks for your contributions anyway!

Also, I've supplied my current stash to a 1st and 2nd gen Tumblr blog that has begun to post them in sets, which is really cool because now everyone can see the art. Sadly, there are still a ton of pictures that haven't been made transparent yet, and I am a busy person so. Yeah.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom