• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Red vs Ethan

Teapot Salty

Popping Corn
Reaction score
(Note this is for the game characters, not manga or otherwise, I might do that as well though) My first trainer match up, we have Red vs Gold. Both were powerful trainers, both defeated champions, both fought each other. If they fought, who would win, and no, it is never specified if you beat Red in gold/silver, only that you fought him. Red is a lone wolf, a mute that seems to communicate to his pokemon through telepathy, his battle style was a creative one, taking down opponents in any possible way, he collected eight badges and defeated his rival Blue to become pokemon champion, but he turned down the opportunity to go to Mt, Silver for an unspecified reason, he was the original pokemon master, generally said to be the greatest trainer ever. Gold was an energetic child, who ran one errand that ended up turning into a huge adventure, he collected sixteen badges and defeated lance and his elite four twice. His rival was the mysterious Silver, he was more social than Red. His battling style was less creative than Red's, but more gutsy, moving in for reckless moves that often resulted in him quickly defeating his opponents.

Which Trainer do you like Better
Which had more impressive feats
Which was a better character
Who would win in a fight

Last edited:
he was more social than Red. His battling style was less creative than Red's, but more gutsy, moving in for reckless moves that often resulted in him quickly defeating his opponents.
Where are you getting this information? Gold/Hibiki is a silent protagonist (besides his NPC appearance in HGSS). His battle style is *yours*.

Anyways.

1. Red
2. Gold. SIXTEEN BADGES + LEAGUE VICTORY + DISBANDING ROCKET GANG ONCE AND FOR ALL. Kind of wins out on eight badges + league victory + disbanding Rocket Gang, by eight badges. NPC Gold/Hibiki, on the other hand, would easily lose out to Red when it comes to achievements.
3. Neither. They had no character outside of their anime/manga counterparts who are otherwise unrelated. But in terms of HGSS's NPC Gold, Red loses. Since some personality is better than none.
4. I would say Gold, just because the only time it happens is when you're controlling the guy. Unless you wanted to lose to Red's team just because of hardcore Red fanboyism or something.

Last edited:
Hibiki's official english name is Ethan, not Gold.

In any case, neither of them have a distinct personality as they are silent player characters, and their "achievements" just happen to be whatever the game throws out in front of you to beat it. Also their teams are just going to be whatever Pokemon you've chosen for them, except in the case where Red is an NPC in the Johto games, so whoever wins is kind of arbitrary.

That said, I like Ethan's design more than Red's. While most people tend to imagine themselves in the shoes of the player characters, I like to see them as independent characters with their own personalities. But even in that case, I only like Ethan more because I like the personality I gave him more than the one I gave Red.

I personally call Hibiki "Gold" in general, mostly out of habit (picked up before HGSS ever existed) and type in "Gold/Hibiki" because I can't bring myself to drop it. :p Though yes, his English name is Ethan, not Gold.

In any case, neither of them have a distinct personality as they are silent player characters, and their "achievements" just happen to be whatever the game throws out in front of you to beat it. Also their teams are just going to be whatever Pokemon you've chosen for them, except in the case where Red is an NPC in the Johto games, so whoever wins is kind of arbitrary.

That said, I like Ethan's design more than Red's. While most people tend to imagine themselves in the shoes of the player characters, I like to see them as independent characters with their own personalities. But even in that case, I only like Ethan more because I like the personality I gave him more than the one I gave Red.
I didn't wright ethan, mustave done something that changed the name, weird.

he was more social than Red. His battling style was less creative than Red's, but more gutsy, moving in for reckless moves that often resulted in him quickly defeating his opponents.
Where are you getting this information? Gold/Hibiki is a silent protagonist (besides his NPC appearance in HGSS). His battle style is *yours*.

Anyways.

1. Red
2. Gold. SIXTEEN BADGES + LEAGUE VICTORY + DISBANDING ROCKET GANG ONCE AND FOR ALL. Kind of wins out on eight badges + league victory + disbanding Rocket Gang, by eight badges. NPC Gold/Hibiki, on the other hand, would easily lose out to Red when it comes to achievements.
3. Neither. They had no character outside of their anime/manga counterparts who are otherwise unrelated. But in terms of HGSS's NPC Gold, Red loses. Since some personality is better than none.
4. I would say Gold, just because the only time it happens is when you're controlling the guy. Unless you wanted to lose to Red's team just because of hardcore Red fanboyism or something.
The information is populor beleif, seeing as otherwise it would be you vs you. I know its not official information, but it is really the best i got.

I think Ethan.

He collected 16 badges and I believe he defeated Ash at Mt Silver.
He successfully disbanded Team Rocket, whereas Ash only forced them into hiding.
Ethan also had time for extra achievements such as winning the Pokethlon.
Also I think he was more likable, as he received more gift Pokemon, in my head I equate this with a more likable attitude making people more willing to share.

The information is populor beleif, seeing as otherwise it would be you vs you. I know its not official information, but it is really the best i got.
Fanon is fanon. You should have addressed that to begin with. Not doing that is exactly why wrong information gets spread across the fandom to begin with.

I think Ethan.

He collected 16 badges and I believe he defeated Ash at Mt Silver.
He successfully disbanded Team Rocket, whereas Ash only forced them into hiding.
Ethan also had time for extra achievements such as winning the Pokethlon.
Also I think he was more likable, as he received more gift Pokemon, in my head I equate this with a more likable attitude making people more willing to share.

Best to refer to the Generation I game protagonist as Red, just to avoid confusing people. :)

I guess I like Red better, if only because I found Ethan to be a bit annoying when playing as Lyra.

Ethan had more feats since he got more badges and beat Red on top of that.

I like Ethan's original design better. In terms of character, I find Red's silence even when not playing as him very interesting.

In at least your own game canon, Ethan does beat Red in battle...so...I believe he would.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom