• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Red vs N

Envoy

Formerly GTT
Reaction score
Red vs N

red_pokc3a9monfrlg.png
vs
200px-Black_2_White_2_N.png

I don't normally do a matchup of human characters, but I didn't find this before and I felt it should be done. Red and N are arguably the two most popular characters in the entire game series. So I guess the question is who do you prefer?

Red, the former PC, the silent badass of Mt. Silver, or N, the conflicted and tortured well intentioned extremist who undergoes a Heel Face Turn between BW and BW2.

I wouldn't consider N the most popular since I seen a lot of people here hating his guts. Because of this, I have to vote for Red, not because it's a way to please them, but because of his memetic badarse status.

Neither. I like them, but they're overrated. I tend to find the more obscure/least popular character more interesting. For example, people hype on Steven and Iris while I prefer Wallace and Alder as champions.

Hm, while I do like Red as a "subtle character" that is pretty hard to pull off succesfully...

I think I am going to go with N... Maybe? The writers really went out of their way for this character, possibly being the most developed one of the entire franchise. Red also barely IS a character, more like a shadow of the player, but N is... enjoyable. You can see all the character's quirks right away, and they keep making a point of something being off with him until his resolution-- The whole story of Black and White centers around him.

In a way, they are extreme opposites. You get thrown a lot of information of N immediately and pointed how MUCH of his character has a background. But Red, he was all about subtle cues, mostly to leave the player for open interpretation while reminding them a bit of what kind of character are they. That he was in Mt. Silver quiet, both served as a wink to previous players, AND as another of these cues to remind of his character. (Which isn't really so much the overdramatized memetic badass)

I really liked N, both in design AND as a character himself... But making an actual character entirely out of subtle comments, and a likeable one at that, has a lot of merit. I hope others can see not just the meme of Red, but the actual character you're cast as with just a few situational comments.

Last edited:
I can't honestly vote for Red simply because he's "badass".

N has a complete backstory behind him and he has underwent significant development while Red ... we don't really have much on him. Sure, he has Pikachu and other powerful Pokémon but he's this ominous, silent guy with nothing but speculation behind his character ... is that truly enough? Besides, I've gotten sick of people on YT comparing Red to Ash and claiming how he's so much stronger, better, more awesome than Ash.

Seriously, that guy is OVERRATED.

So yeah, I'm kind of sick of Red. I vote for N.

I'll go for N . He actually has a backstory and a personality which Red doesn't have.

I prefer N since he has character development and a back story. Red is a character you have to interpret a bit more, based on what is given to you about him already.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom