• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Regional Dex Discussion

I am cool with seeing the National Dex come back in the game. It was a really cool feature. I think what's more important to me though is having those new dex entries for all the Pokemon. That was really cool.

This being said though, As someone who occasionally partakes in shiny hunting. It would be kinda nice if the shiny charm sticks to being obtainable after simply completing the regional dex, instead of having to get 800+ Pokemon. I know most shiny hunters, especially the ones who are more new to Pokemon or to shiny hunting, would really appreciate this so they don't have to spend a million years catching Pokemon in all these other different games and transferring them all the way up to gen 8. It makes the task less daunting, and makes the activity more open for a lot more players.

As for what I want to see in the dex. I don't want to see that many Gen 1 Pokemon. A few are fine, but unless they do something to add some new flavor to them (regional, mega), I want the Pidgey, Rattata, Caterpie, and Zubat line to stay the heck away from these games. Pikachu can stay (and we already know that it is) because he got mascot privileges. And Eevee of course because Eevee has lots of evolutions that are not Gen 1, and might get one this region.

I think seeing a decent amount of Sinnoh, Johto, and Kalos Pokemon is possible. Kalos because at least going off of the places they are based from, they might have some close proximity to each other. (and seem to at least have some tiny connection, with the Fletchling being at the start of the footage of the game). Sinnoh, because we will likely be seeing Gen 4 remakes this gen, and Johto, because there is a possibility of a Let's Go Johto. As long as regional variants are coming back, I would love to see some of the Pokemon we get from these areas to be Galarn forms, especially the Sinnoh ones. That way, we can get the new forms in these games, and the original ones in the remakes.

Last edited:
All knight and warrior class themed pokemon from every region should be present, all with armors , swords, shields when it comes to abilities and moves. Dragons, fairies, ghosts, all ice types or maybe all many new ice types of this region.

I am cool with seeing the National Dex come back in the game. It was a really cool feature. I think what's more important to me though is having those new dex entries for all the Pokemon. That was really cool.

This being said though, As someone who occasionally partakes in shiny hunting. It would be kinda nice if the shiny charm sticks to being obtainable after simply completing the regional dex, instead of having to get 800+ Pokemon. I know most shiny hunters, especially the ones who are more new to Pokemon or to shiny hunting, would really appreciate this so they don't have to spend a million years catching Pokemon in all these other different games and transferring them all the way up to gen 8. It makes the task less daunting, and makes the activity more open for a lot more players.

100% agree with this. One of the reasons I was such a huge fan of seventh generation is because it was the first time that I've actually gotten the shiny charm because the dex wasn't that difficult to complete at all. 300 regional Pokemon is a lot more doable than 800+ Pokemon from several regions.

For SwSh, the Shiny Charm can be a reward for completing the Regional Dex while you get some sort of bigger reward for the National Dex.

It seems to be a norm around 300-400 per region. Hopefully the next region will have better distribution and not too many Gumshoos, Raticate, and Pelipper.

As with every new game I just wanna see mons that haven't been seen during the main story for a while. Really happy to see Deino for one, since it hasn't been in a regional dex since BW and there you couldn't catch it until Victory Road, so that doesn't even really count. So, so far the game's doing good.

Other mons in this category:

Not seen in the main story since Diamond:
  • Glameow (rip)
Not seen in the main story since HGSS:
  • Teddiursa
  • Meowth (regular)
  • Bellsprout
  • Aipom
  • Unown
  • Tyroque
  • Phanpy
  • Stantler
(not counting Let's Go cause I don't really consider it a main game)

Not seen in the main story since Platinum:
  • Girafarig
  • Kricketot
  • Shinx
  • Cherubi
  • Bronzor
(Really surprised by Shinx here since Luxray is hugely popular afaik)

Not seen during the main story since BW2:
  • Blitzle (technically since BW since you could only catch Zebstrika in BW2)
  • Krabby
  • Sunkern
  • Buizel
  • Patrat
  • Purrloin
  • Munna
  • Pidove
  • Drilbur
  • Timburr
  • Sewaddle
  • Yamask
  • Gothita
  • Maractus
  • Deerling
  • Joltik
  • Klink
  • Tynamo
  • Bouffalant
  • And I think Druddigon counts too, it was in XY but only found on Victory Road.
(Klink fits the industrial-like theme this game seems to have, so def can see it returning at least)

So yeah I'd like to see all of these mons on this game. My personal favourites from this list: Glameow, Kricketot, Cherubi, Krabby, Yamask, Maractus, Joltik, and Deerling. I know not having seasons is an excuse to not include Deerling but they could honestly just bind it to specific areas, like a flower area for spring, a snowy area for winter, etc. It could simply change forms if you battle with it there too, or just invent an item for it.

Here's all the old pokémon so far that you'll be able to catch in Sword/Shield:
Caterpie-Metapod-Buttefree
Pichu-Pikachu-Raichu
Cleffa-Clefairy-Clefable
Vulpix-Ninetales
Diglett-Dugtrio
Growlithe-Arcanine
Machop-Machoke-Machamp
Gastly-Haunter-Gengar
Onix-Steelix
Rhyhorn-Rhydon-Rhyperior
Goldeen-Seaking
Magikarp-Gyarados
Eevee-Vaporeon/Jolteon/Flareon/Espeon/Umbreon/Leafeon/Glaceon/Slyveon
Munchlax-Snorlax
Hoothoot-Noctowl
Chinchou-Lantern
Togepi-Togetic-Togekiss
Wynaut-Wobbuffet
Wooper-Quagsire
Mantyke-Mantine
Sneasel-Weavile
Larvitar-Pupitar-Tyranitar
Wingull-Pelipper
Ralts-Kirlia-Gardevoir/Gallade
Lotad-Lombre-Ludicolo
Electrike-Manectric
Wailmer-Wailord
Budew-Roselia-Roserade
Trapinch-Viabrava-Flygon
Feebass-Milotic
Duskull-Dusclops-Dusknoir
Snorunt-Glalie/Froslass
Combee-Vesiquen
Bronzor-Bronzong
Riolu-Lucario
Hippopotas-Hippowdon
Snover-Abomasnow
Roggenrola-Boldore-Gigalith
Tympole-Palpitoad-Sesmitoad
Sawk
Trubbish-Garbordor
Minccino-Cinccino
Vanillite-Vanillish-Vanilliuxe
Joltik-Galventula
Frillish-Jellicent
Axew-Fraxure-Haxorus
Golett-Golurk
Rufflet-Braivary
Deino-Zweilous-Hydreigon
Bunnelby-Diggersby
Pancham-Pangoro
Espurr-Meowstic
Swirlix-Slurpuff
Inkay-Malamar
Hawlucha
Bergmite-Avalugg
Grubbin-Charjabug-Vikavolt
Wishiwashi
Mudbray-Mudsdale
Stufful-Bewear
Bounsweet-Steenee-Tsareena
Mimikyu

How's the regional dex so far?
Did i forget any?

And before you ask, no i'm counting the Charizard cause i always every previous starter and legendary are instantly absent, the only exception was X/Y (Kalos)

EDIT/UPDATE: Vulpix, Onix (which how did i forgot when i clearly saw Steelix), Combee, Bronzor, Bunnelby and Swirlix lines are all confirmed. With Swirlix because its there somewhere on wild pokémon page, with the others cause Serebii updated their to add them cause they saw, or in Onix's case i forgot to add them when i clearly saw Steelix as i've already said before.

EDIT/UPDATE 2: Wingull, who i just saw in a analysis breakdown

EDIT/UPDATE 3:
from E3:
Machop-Machoke-Machamp
Goldeen-Seaking
Togepi-Togetic-Togekiss
Lotad-Lombre-Ludicolo
Joltik-Galventula
and also Vanillite-Vanillish-Vanilluxe, which at this point confirms the japanese banner, so may as well put Eevee, Gardevoir, Trubbish, Goodra and Mimikyu whiling we're at it
EDIT: also, Snorunt and Electrike

Last edited:
This would be an amazing twist :LOL:

Attachments

• tumblr_inline_psmqzsjJWo1rzeqof_540.png
    tumblr_inline_psmqzsjJWo1rzeqof_540.png
    50.5 KB · Views: 53
So...thoughts on the new Pokemon.

Wooloo: D'AWWWWWW ITS SOOOOO CUUUUTE!!! Fluffy sheep Pokemon!! I am SO adding that to my Sword team!
Gossifleur and Eldegoss: They're cute, too! And also going on my team! I love that they're based on dandelions!
Drednaw: Cool looking. Not a favorite, but I like it.
Corviknight: Badass. That's all I need to say. I have five minutes to catch this Pokemon precisely, and then I want to hear a pin drop. (Anyone get this reference?)
Zacian and Zamazenta: Awesome! Then again, why wouldn't they be awesome?

Not a fan of seeing Caterpie again. Hopefully it's just Butterfree as an Wild Area exclusive and they stay away from the first routes.

And talking about the Wild Area, with it and Let's Go and Go's ability to provide insane amounts of Gen 1 and Gen1-4 Pokemon easily there's no excuse for not bringing the National Pokedex back. Yet I expect them to don't do it.

Here's all the old pokémon so far that you'll be able to catch in Sword/Shield:
Caterpie-Metapod-Buttefree
Pichu-Pikachu-Raichu
Cleffa-Clefairy-Clefable
Diglett-Dugtrio
Growlithe-Arcanine
Gastly-Haunter-Gengar
Rhyhorn-Rhydon-Rhyperior
Magikarp-Gyarados
Munchlax-Snorlax
Hoothoot-Noctowl
Chinchou-Lantern
Wynaut-Wobbuffet
Wooper-Quagsire
Mantyke-Mantine
Sneasel-Weavile
Larvitar-Pupitar-Tyranitar
Wailmer-Wailord
Budew-Roselia-Roserade
Trapinch-Viabrava-Flygon
Feebass-Milotic
Duskull-Dusclops-Dusknoir
Riolu-Lucario
Hippopotas-Hippowdon
Snover-Abomasnow
Roggenrola-Boldore-Gigalith
Tympole-Palpitoad-Sesmitoad
Sawk
Minccino-Cinccino
Frillish-Jellicent
Axew-Fraxure-Haxorus
Golett-Golurk
Rufflet-Braivary
Deino-Zweilous-Hydreigon
Pancham-Pangoro
Espurr-Meowstic
Inkay-Malamar
Hawlucha
Bergmite-Avalugg
Grubbin-Charjabug-Vikavolt
Wishiwashi
Mudbray-Mudsdale
Stufful-Bewear
Bounsweet-Steenee-Tsareena

How's the regional dex so far?
Did i forget any?

And before you ask, no i'm counting the Charizard cause i always every previous starter and legendary are instantly absent, the only exception was X/Y (Kalos)
Not happy that once again Kanto is having a majority, but it’s more balanced than it has been with the last few games.

The new Pokémon look great. Especially corviknight. Though Drednaw looks like the squirrel line and totodile line popped out a baby.

I’m hoping we get eevee with another evolution or two.

Not a fan of seeing Caterpie again. Hopefully it's just Butterfree as an Wild Area exclusive and they stay away from the first routes.

And talking about the Wild Area, with it and Let's Go and Go's ability to provide insane amounts of Gen 1 and Gen1-4 Pokemon easily there's no excuse for not bringing the National Pokedex back. Yet I expect them to don't do it.

I sure hope they bring back the National Pokédex because I hated not having Greninja's data recorded in my Pokémon Sun game.

I sure hope they bring back the National Pokédex because I hated not having Greninja's data recorded in my Pokémon Sun game.
While I did dislike the lack of National Dex, I think that in hindsight, it was better for me that I could completely ignore Ash-Greninja... So, a small plus for me.

I do think the regional dex will be massive this time due to the Wild Area. I think we can have a regional dex with 600+ Pokémon for the very first time.

Really happy with the new mons so far, it's been ages since I've liked every new Pokémon from the start (excluding the legendaries but I've never been a fan of those anyway).

Meanwhile concerning returning mons, so far only one on my list of 'neglected mons' made it in, which is Bronzor. Bit sad to see that most returning mons are mons we see almost every generation. But with the Wide Area being so big and changing Pokémon every day, I have good hope we'll have quite a big regional dex. So here's hoping some more negelected ones make it in, at least poor Glameow deserves a spot after 12 years.

Also, in addition to TheHungryBox' list, I think these mons are in too:

Seen in the recent Direct:
  • Steelix (shown floating around when the Direct shows of Wide Area)
  • Bunnelby (you can catch an ear in the grass somewhere)
  • Vulpix (shown watching from the audience in the stadium)
  • Wingull (flying on the water when the Direct shows of Wide Area)
From pics from the website:
  • Bronzor (wandering in grass)
  • Combee (wandering in grass)
  • Swirlix (wandering in grass)
From a pic with Pokémon on the jp website (also shown some posts above):
  • Mimikyu
  • Gardevoir
  • Goodra
  • Trubbish
  • Vanillite
The complete list can be found in the stickied Confirmed Info thread btw, I keep it updated at all times.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom