• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Regional Dex Discussion

Ditto wasn't in Sinnoh or Unova either. Okay, maybe the expanded Unova Dex that included older Pokémon in Black and White 2, but the original Black and White Unova Dex was purely the new Pokémon, with the National Dex required to have any familiar Pokémon like Ditto. So Ditto has been cut from a Regional Dex in a game with Breeding. But if Sword and Shield doesn't have the National Dex, then Ditto would have to be in the Galar Dex unless the person selecting the Pokémon didn't think about breeding and thought of Ditto as just a Pokémon that can only learn the one move to be a copy of the opponent.
There is also the chance that they could also straight up remove breeding from the games.

There's still the possibility that they could introduce a pokemon capable of taking Ditto's place in breeding and nix Ditto from the region for "balance" reasons. Or just to avoid it having the chance to copy a Dynamax or Gigantamax pokemon.

If Ditto transforming into a Max pokemon is perceived as an issue, I imagine that either they will kick it from the region and come up with a breeding replacement without transform, or they will just program Ditto to be unable to transform into a Max pokemon (although that kind of puts Ditto at a sucky disadvantage too, since all it can use is transform until it transforms). Or it'll just transform into the non-Max form of the opponent... which would be hella disappointing after Ditto pulled off Mega Evolution before.

I believe in you Ditto, you can be anything. =(

Ditto wasn't in Sinnoh or Unova either. Okay, maybe the expanded Unova Dex that included older Pokémon in Black and White 2, but the original Black and White Unova Dex was purely the new Pokémon, with the National Dex required to have any familiar Pokémon like Ditto. So Ditto has been cut from a Regional Dex in a game with Breeding. But if Sword and Shield doesn't have the National Dex, then Ditto would have to be in the Galar Dex unless the person selecting the Pokémon didn't think about breeding and thought of Ditto as just a Pokémon that can only learn the one move to be a copy of the opponent.
Don't know what games you played but Ditto was available (catchable in-game) in both gen 4 and gen 5 (all games), It doesn't matter if It was in the regional or national dex. It was available in all the games. This is a totally different situation, considering there's no national dex and you are not able to transfer pokemon. There's no such chance that they forgot to put It in. It is in Galar 100% unless everything about ivs/eggs moves/natures changed.

I think it says it all that there's discussion whether or not Ditto and breeding make it into Sword and Shield.

Nothing (besides Pikachu & Charizard) is sacred anymore.

There really should be fresh blood into this franchise. It doesn't bode well that Game Freak are enviously eyeing mobile games and relegated huge sections of their audience by assuming that kids are the only demographic- and even at that, can't even relate to kids.

I think it says it all that there's discussion whether or not Ditto and breeding make it into Sword and Shield.

There really should be fresh blood into this franchise. It doesn't bode well that Game Freak are enviously eyeing mobile games and relegated huge sections of their audience by assuming that kids are the only demographic- and even at that, can't even relate to kids.
How's nothing sacred anymore to them? The thing they've cut is the national dex and the power-ups (zmoves, megas), there are zero indications that they've cut into the core-mechanics.

We've seen natures, abilities, etc. return. Breeding will be in, no reason not to.

How's nothing sacred anymore to them? The thing they've cut is the national dex and the power-ups (zmoves, megas), there are zero indications that they've cut into the core-mechanics.

We've seen natures, abilities, etc. return. Breeding will be in, no reason not to.
They addressed these games to core fans and they decided to cut off hundreds of pokemon, Megas, Z moves etc. Considering that a new gamer wouldn't know anything about old pokemon and mechanics, It's obvious they still think It's better to attract new players with new gimmicks rather than listen to what the core fans want. This time It was pokemon to be cut off, so I wouldn't exclude next time would be natures or abilities (as if they hadn't done this just a year ago btw).

Masuda talked negatively about breeding last year during LGPE's prerelease period. I wouldn't be surprised to see breeding get the axe.

Masuda talked negatively about breeding last year during LGPE's prerelease period. I wouldn't be surprised to see breeding get the axe.
About an aspect of breeding, not breeding itself. And it didn't seem like he would change it, he just didn't really get/like the playstyle. Also, he isn't directing SwSh, but was more important for Let's Go.

I understand criticism on revealed aspects of the game or a reserved stance on the things to come, but this trend towards cynicism is not helpful. Nothing indicates a major breeding overhaul or deletion of the mechanic. Abilities, natures... They're all back. They go hand-in-hand with breeding. A part of the dex and megas get axed, so now everything can and will be axed? It doesn't work like that.

Model-work has nothing to do with mechanics-work.

What model-work? People have already compared the models. They are the exact same models from X and Y but with the textures altered to change the outlines.

What model-work? People have already compared the models. They are the exact same models from X and Y but with the textures altered to change the outlines.
Not only for the outlines. We've seen some pokemon have their mouth textures changed too. I mean, they've clearly changed some of the textures. The models are the exact same on the other hand.

Still, if all the model work is just importing models from Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and putting a few minor touchups to the textures, they should have had time to finish all the Pokémon.

Game Freak is hardly assuming that kids are their only demographic when LGPE was practically designed for adult players to share with their kids- kids wouldn't understand that nostalgia. Their demographic these days isn't kids, it's the young adults who grew up with pokemon and now have kids of their own to share the games with. It's a much broader demographic than some people seem to think.

Still, if all the model work is just importing models from Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon and putting a few minor touchups to the textures, they should have had time to finish all the Pokémon.
It has been implied that there may have been trouble importing them over. Given some of the animation changes, I personally suspect that the wireframes made it over but the rigs broke down and had to be remade and the animations fixed, so they took the opportunity to change up some of the animations. Which still would have been rather time consuming even if the wireframes of the models imported fine.

Can't say definitively, but it does seem that there was more that had to be fixed besides textures.

Game Freak is hardly assuming that kids are their only demographic when LGPE was practically designed for adult players to share with their kids- kids wouldn't understand that nostalgia. Their demographic these days isn't kids, it's the young adults who grew up with pokemon and now have kids of their own to share the games with. It's a much broader demographic than some people seem to think.
Nahh. They want kids. Even if what you say was true, they would be just trying to reach kids through their parents. Honestly, what was the last main game you played that felt like it was a game for adults too and not just a 7-13 yo game that adults may play if they want to? When was the last time you were actually defeated by a trainer?
Pokemon games are not for adults (even if they think so), the difficulty level proves it.

Nahh. They want kids. Even if what you say was true, they would be just trying to reach kids through their parents. Honestly, what was the last main game you played that felt like it was a game for adults too and not just a 7-13 yo game that adults may play if they want to? When was the last time you were actually defeated by a trainer?
Pokemon games are not for adults (even if they think so), the difficulty level proves it.
Of course they want kids, that's how a brand achieves longevity, but that doesn't mean that kids are their only demographic. It is an all-ages franchise which means that the games aren't made only for adults. The difficulty level is because the games are made so adults and kids can play. It doesn't mean that the games are meant only for kids, it just means that one of those age groups requires a lower bar. It's family friendly, therefor it has family friendly accommodations.

Of course they want kids, that's how a brand achieves longevity, but that doesn't mean that kids are their only demographic. It is an all-ages franchise which means that the games aren't made only for adults. The difficulty level is because the games are made so adults and kids can play. It doesn't mean that the games are meant only for kids, it just means that one of those age groups requires a lower bar. It's family friendly, therefor it has family friendly accommodations.
A game that takes seriously adults would have put at least a chellenging mode (if they don't want to just make the game itself more difficult). If the game is easy because kids have to play It, then it's more a kid game that adults can play and not a game for both adults and kids.
Super Mario Odissey is made for kids too. That doesn't mean that the game is easy. There are levels that even adults will struggle to complete. The difference is that GF doesn't take seriously even kids anymore, they think they always need someone on their side, that they don't have time to play games, that they would feel frustrated with too much difficulty. I still remeber trying to find and catch a Chansey in the safari zone of red and blue. It was a nightmare but still one of the things me and my friends spent hours on and still remember. Kids don't want easy games, kids want challenging games so they can complete them and then tell their friends they did It.

Well, the new moves in Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee sure aren't made for adults. Splishy Splash? Baddy Bad?
I wouldn't define s/m z moves the most mature feature GF has created either. Pancakes and throwing Pikachu in the air? And let's not forget the cream pokemon that becomes a giant birthday cake...

Actually pancakes and throwing Pikachu in the air is still very violent. And so what if there's a birthday cake Pokémon? We've had ice cream in Unova. My problem with those partner moves from Let's Go is that they sound like a two-year-old is saying them. We don't have a move called "Wakey Wakey," it's "Wake-Up Slap." And what's Baddy Bad supposed to do?

Anyway, this is getting a little off topic.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom