• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Regional Dex Discussion

A game that takes seriously adults would have put at least a chellenging mode (if they don't want to just make the game itself more difficult). If the game is easy because kids have to play It, then it's more a kid game that adults can play and not a game for both adults and kids.
Super Mario Odissey is made for kids too. That doesn't mean that the game is easy. There are levels that even adults will struggle to complete. The difference is that GF doesn't take seriously even kids anymore, they think they always need someone on their side, that they don't have time to play games, that they would feel frustrated with too much difficulty. I still remeber trying to find and catch a Chansey in the safari zone of red and blue. It was a nightmare but still one of the things me and my friends spent hours on and still remember. Kids don't want easy games, kids want challenging games so they can complete them and then tell their friends they did It.
Then rather than saying that Game Freak thinks kids are their only demographic, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that they don't understand any age group? XD Because yeah, either kids have gotten more impatient and cognitively worse since I was a child, or Game Freak just thinks that literally everyone these days is too impatient to deal with anything- and they've pretty much gone on record claiming the latter so... it's not an age thing, it's a "we think everyone lacks patience and an attention span" thing.

Well, the new moves in Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee sure aren't made for adults. Splishy Splash? Baddy Bad?
It still comes back around to "those games are meant for parents to share with their kids." LGPE is kind of an acknowledgement that the kids of the 90s have grown up and now have their own young children with whom they can share their nostalgia.

Then rather than saying that Game Freak thinks kids are their only demographic, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that they don't understand any age group? XD Because yeah, either kids have gotten more impatient and cognitively worse since I was a child, or Game Freak just thinks that literally everyone these days is too impatient to deal with anything- and they've pretty much gone on record claiming the latter so... it's not an age thing, it's a "we think everyone lacks patience and an attention span" thing.

It still comes back around to "those games are meant for parents to share with their kids." LGPE is kind of an acknowledgement that the kids of the 90s have grown up and now have their own young children with whom they can share their nostalgia.
The difference is that they still try to appeal to kids even if they don't understand them. They don't even try to appeal to adults considering they just ignore them.

The difference is that they still try to appeal to kids even if they don't understand them. They don't even try to appeal to adults considering they just ignore them.
Except for all of the "nostalgia pandering" that people complain about- aka adults aren't being ignored, they're just not trying to appeal to you in a way that you would like.

Well, Ditto will have to be in Galar, right? If it's important for breeding and getting Pokémon with perfect IVs, Ditto has to be in. And if they are making the models from scratch, a blob with a little smiley face should be the easiest to do.

Ditto is a pokemon that I think is in most regions. It can adapt really good only and people rather would breed it everywhere.
More interesting if Ditto will copy Dynamax and Gigantamax forms?
D-max sure, always but G-max? Practically should realy do it.
Hmmm will be a natural counter for many pokemon.

There's still the possibility that they could introduce a pokemon capable of taking Ditto's place in breeding and nix Ditto from the region for "balance" reasons. Or just to avoid it having the chance to copy a Dynamax or Gigantamax pokemon.

If Ditto transforming into a Max pokemon is perceived as an issue, I imagine that either they will kick it from the region and come up with a breeding replacement without transform, or they will just program Ditto to be unable to transform into a Max pokemon (although that kind of puts Ditto at a sucky disadvantage too, since all it can use is transform until it transforms). Or it'll just transform into the non-Max form of the opponent... which would be hella disappointing after Ditto pulled off Mega Evolution before.

I believe in you Ditto, you can be anything. =(
I don’t really think Ditto transforming into Gigantamax forms should be an issue, seeing that it has currently no problem in hypothetically transforming into an Ultra Necrozma with +4 in every stat...

Well, the new moves in Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee sure aren't made for adults. Splishy Splash? Baddy Bad?
If it makes you feel any better, the moves have sensible names in other languages.

I don’t really think Ditto transforming into Gigantamax forms should be an issue, seeing that it has currently no problem in hypothetically transforming into an Ultra Necrozma with +4 in every stat...
Well, I question it because it could be a free extra Max pokemon for your team when that's supposed to be a limited thing (although it could wind up counting as your Max use for the battle even though you didn't trigger it) and Ditto also copies the opponent's moves, which would give it Max Moves- this wasn't an issue with Z-moves because Ditto still had to be holding the appropriate crystal to use those.

I just have a looooot of questions about how Ditto would be allowed to interact with the Max mechanics, to the point that I hope they didn't cop out and just cut it to avoid dealing with that, because I want to see the experiments happen-- although-

I realize that Mew is already confirmed for Sword and Shield, so that should confirm that Transform is available in the game regardless... unless... they make it so it can't learn Transform in Sword and Shield, and then have a repeat of LGPE with it being tradelocked, and then have it so the only way to get it is through buying that stupid pokeball. I hope to hell they don't do that again, that was stupid.

So many questions about how they're gonna handle Transform with this mechanic. I need the answerssss!

Well, I question it because it could be a free extra Max pokemon for your team when that's supposed to be a limited thing (although it could wind up counting as your Max use for the battle even though you didn't trigger it) and Ditto also copies the opponent's moves, which would give it Max Moves- this wasn't an issue with Z-moves because Ditto still had to be holding the appropriate crystal to use those.
The 'Extra Max Thing' didn’t seem to be an issue since Ditto effectively gives a team an extra Mega as well, but the Max mechanics are complicated in the sense that they have the three turn limitation, and Ditto transformed would complicate that, I noticed right after posting my previous reply. And the Max moves too are a concern like you mentioned.

The best way out might be for Ditto transform into the pre-Dynamax version of the opponent.

The 'Extra Max Thing' didn’t seem to be an issue since Ditto effectively gives a team an extra Mega as well, but the Max mechanics are complicated in the sense that they have the three turn limitation, and Ditto transformed would complicate that, I noticed right after posting my previous reply. And the Max moves too are a concern like you mentioned.

The best way out might be for Ditto transform into the pre-Dynamax version of the opponent.
Yeah, I'm thinking that too. If they blocked Ditto from transforming due to the opponent being Max'd then Ditto would be a sitting duck, so either it would have to turn into a pre-Max version or... it and Transform just wind up being banned from the region, which would be a sad and very extreme option to avoid dealing with that. XD

I suspect that they would go the pre-Max route, though. It seems the most reasonable and wouldn't require them having to design a breeding replacement or making any pokemon with Transform be blocked from transfer to avoid anyone using it in the game. And it would have to be a block on Transform, since Smeargle can get it too (unless Smeargle isn't in Galar either...) and blocking a move from a region just seems utterly ridiculous in all.

I still entertain the possibility that they might go the ridiculous route, but the pre-Max option is way less crazy.

...I wonder if Ditto would be able to Dynamax pre-Transform, even. If you did that, then it would lose Transform and wind up with just Max Guard. That would be so broken.

Sooooo many questions about Ditto and Dynamax. So many.

I see it working like this. Either Ditto can only transform into a Dynamax pokemon if it dynamaxes itself and activates it's Imposter as it enters the field (due to the animation involving putting a pokemon back in it's ball before growing it), or Ditto has to to transform into the opposing pokemon before it dynmaxes, then can be able to mimic it through dynamaxing.

I see it working like this. Either Ditto can only transform into a Dynamax pokemon if it dynamaxes itself and activates it's Imposter as it enters the field (due to the animation involving putting a pokemon back in it's ball before growing it), or Ditto has to to transform into the opposing pokemon before it dynmaxes, then can be able to mimic it through dynamaxing.
What about Limber Dittos, though? You know... the more common ability for Ditto to have.

They might be screwed over in that regard. They might have to work with using the Transform on a pokemon before it Dynamaxes to work
I don't think they would screw Ditto over like that. =/ That would clearly be an issue to have Ditto unable to Transform and just stuck taking hits while the opponent is Dynamax'd. They've got to let it transform into something, even if it ignores the opponent's Max form and just turns into the non-Max version. That's the only way that would be fair.

Maybe you take your pokemon into a day care to breed with "the day-care ditto". beyond that, maybe ditto won't be in the games.

Maybe you take your pokemon into a day care to breed with "the day-care ditto". beyond that, maybe ditto won't be in the games.
Eh... if they were going to cut Ditto from the games, I'd rather that they just come up with a new pokemon whose gimmick was that it produces eggs of the male to replace it in breeding rather than teasing you with unobtainable dittos.

Though new alternative- they could do away with breeding and introduce cloning instead. =P

Last edited:
Eh... if they were going to cut Ditto from the games, I'd rather that they just come up with a new pokemon whose gimmick was that it produces eggs of the male to replace it in breeding rather than teasing you with unobtainable dittos.

Though new alternative- they could do away with breeding and introduce cloning instead. =P
"Hey, clone scientist man, I heard Galar does cloning instead of breeding? Does this mean you can clone my legendaries, too? Like...maybe this Mew I brought from my PokeBall Plus?"

Mewtwo, sitting in my party:

"Hey, clone scientist man, I heard Galar does cloning instead of breeding? Does this mean you can clone my legendaries, too? Like...maybe this Mew I brought from my PokeBall Plus?"

Mewtwo, sitting in my party:
=P Nah, legendaries can't be cloned either. For reasons. Reasons that ignore your Mewtwo's origin entirely.

Maybe Ditto would only revert back to it's original form if you switch it out and that brief moment in the Dynamax animation doesn't change it back? Like maybe Ditto could maintain the opponents form while Dynamaxing?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom