• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Remembering Whitney's Miltank

I'm lucky, I've never had any problems with Whitney. I don't really use a strategy to beat her, either. I just spam Croconaw's bite.

I battled Whitney on HG not too long ago before restarting. She was a TOTAL pain in the butt. KO'd 5 of my Pokemon, leaving me with a underleveled (lvl. 10, to be exact) HootHoot that beat her only because that Miltank was reduced to Flail. Oh my god, that entire battle took 20 flipping minutes.

i had no problem with her,but all the other 2nd gym leaders (except lenora) were really hard for me.

1st SS try I used a female Bayleef with Poison Powder, Reflect and Synthesis to match her Milk Drink.

2nd SS try used Pidgeotto to lower it's accuracy and then stalled out with Bayleef and Poison.

G\S Whitney was probably the hardest gym leader, definitely in Johto. I think its because Miltank is bulky and roll out can crush lots of early pokeomn - bugs, flying, fire. Rollout can easily take out your team if you are unprepared for it.

That fucking cow is the Devil. ;_;

It took me 3 tries to beat it with a Machop. I was still pretty new to the series but still!

Whitney was definitely one(Claire) of the most annoying gym leaders to defeat for me. Her Miltank is something else...

I had trouble in 2000 back when I only used feraligatr and never caught other pokemon, but now, she's a piece of cake. I always have a Haunter or Gengar with Curse so I know it'll be knocked out in due time. (I make sure Haunter/Gengar is female, though, so I wont get put under the spell of attract)

Whitney and her Miltank always pop into my mind when I think about my hardest gym battles. It's actually not as bad(but still a pain) in G/S/C because there are loop holes to get around like getting a female rock, steel, or ghost type. It's the one in the remakes I curse straight to hell with that hacked Stomp, holding a Lum Berry that completely ruined the hell I went through from all that flinching to finally poison it with my Weepinbell, and found out later from my little cousin that it has an ability that lets it hit ghost types. I was lucky I had a female Onix so it was slightly easier, but the thought what would happen if I didn't *shudders* Still, I can't complain too much because Whitney does warn you before you battle her.

Oh, and the fact that Miltank is almost as fast as a Starmie or Gengar has always confused the hell out of me.

The only time Whitney was a problem to me was during the first time I played Gold and used Cyndaquil (I usually use Chikorita now). Back then I would only level up my starter, and he would always lose to Rollout.

But now a days I don't find her hard at all, she's not even my choice for hardest Johto Gym Leader. But to each their own

Back in silver didn't have much of a problem with it, but then I think I was using a Dunsparce or something like that. I know my Cyndaquil didn't come anywhere near it though. Those things are hilarious ;*)

Rollout is a great attack. I love how they teased Donphan and rollout at the beginning of the Mewtwo movie during the opening credits.

I didn't really have a problem with it, but when I did, it was hell.

In the original I had no trouble at all. Had a Bayleaf.

The remakes? On the second try I beat her. I can understand where everyone comes from, and I also had a Bayleaf. :3

I don't understand how this was ever difficult. The game basically gives you a female Machop beforehand. Not only that, it could never inflict more than scratch damage on Geodude. And Gastly using Curse is a viable option. Finally, if none of that works, X Items are available at the department store. Just spam them during Clefairy who is basically cannon fodder.

I remember battling Whitney's Miltank back in Silver. She was pretty tough on my Quilava, but it didn't help that I only trained my starter back then and all of the other Pokemon I had weren't that well train. I'm pretty sure that I didn't have a Machop back then and I don't know if I knew that Normal types were weak against Fighting types either. I think it took me two or three attempts, along with a bit of leveling-up my Quilava, to finally beat her. She wasn't as tough with my Croconaw, but I think it still took me another attempt to defeat her. In HG/SS, she wasn't nearly as much trouble, but in both versions, I traded over a Riolu egg to myself and both of them learned Force Palm well before getting to the third Gym, so that, along with being more experienced at battling, really made the experience much different than it was in the second generation.

In my first run through SoulSilver, I used Quilava and Noctowl against Miltank in the battle. Noctowl weakened Miltank a bit before getting wiped out by Rollout. My Quilava (who was female :D) ended up burning the cow with a Flame Wheel which really crippled the strength of that next Rollout. Another Flame Wheel took it out.

My second run through SoulSilver against her was very quick. I had traded round a Porygon-Z with Adaptability and a Silk Scarf and OHKO'ed Miltank with Hyper Beam despite it being about 1-2 levels higher...

man i remember that evil thing. killed me three times in a row in both C and HG. that thing was so freaken tough i thought i was battling Super Cow (minus the spanish). that thing made me so worked up in a rage i didnt play my Crystal for about 2 weeks. worst gym ever...

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom