• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Reunion of the Past, Present, and Future!? VS Kairyu!! (Fake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
now that this is pretty much confirmed FINALLY something in journeys has me excited for pretty much the first time this year!! iris looks so cute in the new style :,) id like to say i enjoyed iris (and best wishes in general) more than most people did so seeing her again is really cool and the little flashback with the best wishes trio is so wholesome (also it makes me realize how much i miss ash in long pants)

but for some reason i cant even force myself to be optimistic about what this will bring?? episode 37 set up a weird precedent of "is this pokemon journeys?? it must have goh!!" with previous companion reunions and how ash was more or less sidelined in the alola episode which hurt because alola is his second home. i fear that the same thing will happen again and goh will take the spotlight meant for ash meeting an old friend. but disregarding the whole focus problem if theres a battle ash can use dragonite again after nearly 20 episodes since its last major-ish role in an episode!! we better enjoy this while it lasts because after this we probably arent seeing dragonite until episode 80 get hype

side note: iris' chara blurb mentions "kibago" in particular so sorry everyone that wanted axew to evolve he almost surely hasnt

I’m kinda hoping not because if so, the writers are laying the parallels with Ash on a little thick. First him getting fished out of the water by Lana, then mistaking Iris for a Pokémon. What next, is he gonna fry Misty’s bike?
It doesn’t have to have anything to with Ash if it happens, it could just be part of the gag.

When it’s literally repeating the same gags that Ash and only Ash has been through, it kinda comes across as that they have intentions of creating parallels.
I think you’re connecting dots that aren’t there. I understand there is this suspicion that they are slowly replacing Ash with Goh, but to me these are just minor gags that have to do with their characters. Lana is known for fishing up crazy things and Iris’ hair and clothes make her resemble an Audino.

Have to disagree here, while I can easily admit Outrage came out of left field and was never really relevant after the episode where Axew learned it, there was definitely progression in its development. It literally couldn't even take a hit from anything but Scraggy and its Scratch hit as hard as a pillow before it started training. Sure, it didn't become Iris' ace, but it still got progressively stronger as the show went out, and even though it wasn't used much in tournaments it did participate in other important battles like in Episode N against the mind-controlled Pokémon.
Yeah, Axew did improve, but the problem is that the show seemed to frame it as though he'd become a lot stronger than he actually had, what with Drayden and the Dragon Village Elder singing high praises for Iris on her wonderful job of raising Axew and how he actually managed to deal some damage to Cynthia's Garchomp of all Pokemon, a feat that logically shouldn't have been feasible seeing how even Elite Four-level Pokemon struggle against her. Sorry, but there's just no way in the Distortion World that Axew is anywhere near Lucian's Bronzong, Flint's Infernape, or Caitlin's Gothitelle levels. It's just like XY trying to convince the audience that Ash's Noivern was strong by having him put up a fight against a Zapdos despite having subpar at best showings otherwise. The writers can make these babies beat up gods all they want, but without any other feats to back that up, it's not going to look earned or legit.

Don’t get me wrong I agree that Dragonite shouldn’t be given away. But at the risk of sounding pedantic, I’m going to point out that this definitely isn’t true. Even if you’re just talking about Ash’s Pokémon.
I thought my post showed pretty clearly it’s a hyperbole. But the actual point behind that (when it’s not taken literally) still stands that in my opinion Journeys has totally and utterly failed Ash's Pokemon at screentime and team dynamics.. I’ve made quite a few posts about that in the evolution capture release thread.

Dragonite is probably the best handled in this pathetic bunch in my opinion. (Yes, in my opinion the journeys team situation is nothing short of pathetic, specially in the aspects Sun/Moon so beautifully mastered). Dragonite is for me the only one who received organic focus without having a dedicated "focus episode".
Journeys likes to pretend that giving 1-2 focus episodes to a Pokémon while putting it in the background for the rest (to the point where one starts to doubt if the Pokémon in question even exists or not) is enough but it is not for me.

Gou's Pokémon being background characters is understandable to an extent but I despise the fact that it’s happening to Ash's Pokemon when he only has five if you ignore Pikachu.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210331_101914_com.android.chrome.jpg

That feeling when Iris actually returns, but it involves you watching a Pokemon journeys episode. Talk about suffering.

I think you’re connecting dots that aren’t there. I understand there is this suspicion that they are slowly replacing Ash with Goh, but to me these are just minor gags that have to do with their characters. Lana is known for fishing up crazy things and Iris’ hair and clothes make her resemble an Audino.
I didn’t imply that they were replacing Ash with Go (honestly I’d probably drop the anime if they did since I don’t find he could carry the anime with how they write him as a trainer), I just find the parallels that they keep doing to be both annoying and forced since it feels like rather than having him be his own person like every past character, they want to step on Ash’s toes like Go’s supposed to be some special parallel to Ash. Give him his own things completely devoid of parallels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom