• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rivals?

Reaction score
When there's a pokemon game, there's always a rival or two. Who would be the next rival(s)? What do you expect from them?

After seeing Wally, I'd like to see another underdog who turns out to be a threat in the end instead of someone being all arrogant from the beginning. But then again, a rival who's also the champion would be a nice throwback as well - with the 20th anniversary and all.

I want a rival who's a complete dick to us and not all about being ~friends~ like XY's were. Give me a rival that hates me and wants to fuck my shit up again. Make we want to stamp their team into the dirt! (Oh and believe me I'll do it!!)

I want a rival like Silver again.

First bad impression, abandoned child with anger management problem, treated his pokemon badly at beginning, but at last becoming good trainer as best as possible *without being too goody2 and losing his own charisma*

And his dirty little secret that maybe only added later, but shown how much GF really care about characters back then.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing another douchebag rival. Same thing goes for an underdog rival... I could see them doing some sort of compare and contrast between the two.

But yeah, I do want a rival who's downright rude and I'd like them to be challenging.

I honestly want a rival like hugh again. A not to overly friendly rival who pushes you to be better but is still a bro. If we get a douchbag rival again I want to actually be able to lose to them and continue the game after losing so they can have a reason to talk shit instead of being a perpetual self deluded loser who is conceived he is better then the person who beat there ass 9 times.

Someone like Blue. Was arrogant and competitive but a nice jerk that didn't have childhood issues, anger issues and wasn't whiny like Silver, Hugh and stuff.

Just give me someone who doesn't face-palm whenever they lose to me.

I'm looking at you, Serena.

I'd prefer a rival who's overly friendly to the point where it becomes more annoying than a jerk-of-a-rival, honestly. Better yet, make them extremely hard to beat, but have them still spew out supportive phrases when we're clearly going to lose.

I dunno, that just sounds a lot more amusing to me than a Blue 2.0.

Like Barry?

Essentially, but even worse. Barry x3+ is what I had in mind.

It's more of a hope then expectation, really. Blue 2.0 seems likely given that the amount of time since we've had one.

I think the douge bag should stay unique to blue, but at the same time we shouldn't be friends in the begining but towards the very end. I say we meet our rivals for the first time in the second town where they're top dog in that town and you challenge him. AFter beating him his pride is shattered and he swears to beat you. Now he's trying to beat you because he wants to be #1 again and this leads to an intense rivalry that only resolves its self once he realizes he can never beat you.

SO pretty much Goku and Vegeta xD I didn't notice until I finished typing that I just wrote Goku and Vegetas rivalry

If we have more than one Rival, I only want to have two. I felt there were too many 'rival' characters in X/Y.

One rival could be more antagonistic, one rival being friendly and just wanting to battle to see how your Pokemon are coming along. The antagonistic rival would obviously pull the jerk move of choosing a starter that is strong against yours to have an advantage, the friendly one choosing the remaining.

I really dislike the jerk character personality, but at the same time I don't want to completely crush someone's spirit like I felt I was doing with my rival in X, and sort of with Wally.

What about having a rival that depending on what gender you chose also changes gender? Like if you pick girl, you get a female rival and if you pick boy you get a male rival.

Their back story could sort of be like the one @Fairy Type Arceus said. They're the top trainer in the second town and become rivals with you after you beat them and humiliate them in front of their fans. No friendly rival dynamic, no you were once best friends until they were struck with a bad case of the doucheies, just a good ol' fashion case of "you must pay for you being better than me!" Somewhere down the road you're forced to team up during a fight even though you both hate each other. In the end you become friends because they find out that you're not that bad after all.

Of course there will still be the opposite playable character rivals too. But the twist is that they're your childhood friend. You've known them since forever instead of moving to their hometown. They can take up the role of the friendly rival that helps you along on your journey at the cost of their strength as a trainer. Sometimes you do battle, but they're friendly fights that get called before a K.O. but they do give you items and some change (No more than 90p) as a prize.

I want....
-One rival like Silver, but also like N in that they are part of the evil team, but we don't know till some time in the middle of the game... (in fact, it would be so much cooler if we ACTUALLY didn't know, like when they reveal the rival character it's just some random mean little kid)
-On the other hand, as others have mentioned, we should also get the underdog rival... Who doesn't like underdogs? To tie them together, although you've been defeating him in every trainer battle in-game, at the end, you lose to the evil rival (after winning, he does something shady), and then only the underdog rival can defeat him.
And then we have the story of the rise of the underdog, as well as, eventually, taking down the ego of the evil guy, and perhaps redemption later on.

I never saw N is a rival. I saw N as some weirdo kid that was a waste of time for me. Silver was boring "Oh look at me I have issues". Cry me a river. Don't want Wally because Wally was dull, Hugh was whiny that cared about something eh, the rest except Blue were lame.

Honestly in real life I would be more likely to be friends with Blue than every single other 'rival or 'friend.'

Back
Top Bottom