• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Rocketshipping General Discussion

Great analysis Jeska! :)
Thank you :-D I think I know what I'm going to write about for my graduate diploma ;D

Yay! It's Tomioka party time! :party:

PM003_1.jpg

PM125_1.jpg

PM158_1.png

DP146_6.jpg

DP176_1.jpg
Pics <3 It's been awhile since we had them :-D

So Tomioka was the one who wrote the Black Arachnid episode? Perv :-D

So considering all of this... can we please have our fearhugs back now? If Satoshi is going to be acting all Kantoish with the way he throws monster balls and the hat turning, I want my fearhugs and random touching!
Mix of everything that's great about Kanto and DP Rocketshipping would be just perfect <3

I'm also wondering if faster moving means we'll get our generational Rocketshippy episode sooner. I was predicting the early 100s like before, but if we're moving at Kanto pace, maybe it'll be around episode 50 like before? Waiting one more year for it doesn't seem too bad.
*scratches her head* But... why do we need to wait so long for Rocketshippy episodes?

First, Kanto Rocketshipping started since EP016, so that's pretty early. It just reached its peak around EP050.

Second, DP Rocketshipping started so late, just because it was nearly dead arleady since late Jouto, and the writers barely came to their senses after DP117. There's no need for Rocketshipping to start so late now, especially if Tomioka's staying. He just can continue from where he ended in DP. Such a gap would feel just akward.

Generations don't have to do anything with shipping. Everything depends on writers. They may start shipping when they feel like it. Why giving Rocketshipping a break, just because new generation starts? :rolleyes:

So Tomioka was the one who wrote the Black Arachnid episode? Perv :-D

Yep. When I saw he did that one I knew I had to post it just for you. :p

*scratches her head* But... why do we need to wait so long for Rocketshippy episodes?

I think you misunderstood what I meant. We always get one Rocketshippy episode per series (HM, Hoso, DP117) so I'm referring to another episode like that happening in BW.

Obviously we'll still get cute moments throughout the series. I'm not saying Rocketshipping will be reset or anything.

Yep. When I saw he did that one I knew I had to post it just for you. :p
Hehe, thanks :-D

I think you misunderstood what I meant. We always get one Rocketshippy episode per series (HM, Hoso, DP117) so I'm referring to another episode like that happening in BW.

Obviously we'll still get cute moments throughout the series. I'm not saying Rocketshipping will be reset or anything.
Oh, sorry about it ^^;

Hmm, I don't have the idea then. Such episode could happen just anytime, except for the first and last several episodes. Halfway sounds the most sensible.

But, the more important question is, who's going to write this episode, in case Takegami leaves? Even if he stays for BW, it's still bond to happen someday. He's the father of Rocketshipping, I can't imagine someone other replacing him here :( Some other writers can write good Rocketshippy scenes too, but his Rocketshippy episodes just have that magic feel to them...

But I hope he stays for BW, otherwise he would get some epic goodbye Rocket episode ;D His latest episode wasn't really his best, he can't leave like that, can he? ;)

But, the more important question is, who's going to write this episode, in case Takegami leaves?

Well, let's take a look at the other 5 writers (assuming they're all returning):

Tomioka - No one can replace Takegami, but I think he'd come pretty close.

Oohashi - He needs to be given a second chance. I think he can do a nice, funny episode. (Rocketshipping doesn't need to be srs business all the time!)

Fujita - Musashi's 5th ribbon gives me some hope he could do an ok job.

Yonemura/Sogo - This just isn't their thing. I know Tomioka gave Yonemura a Rocket episode before, but I'm not confident he could pull this kind of episode off.

Even if he stays for BW, it's still bond to happen someday.

Don't forget we may get one or two new writers. Sogo and Matsui were brought in for AG, so since BW is even more of a reboot, it's the perfect time to "train" some new, younger writers. Don't forget that Oohashi is about the same age as Takegami...

His latest episode wasn't really his best, he can't leave like that, can he? ;)

It's possible. I'm sure he's under contract for a specific amount of episodes, and due to where the series is at, you can't always get to pick what you want to happen in your last episode. Shudo's was nothing special, after all.

Oohashi - He needs to be given a second chance. I think he can do a nice, funny episode. (Rocketshipping doesn't need to be srs business all the time!)
I know it doesn't need to be serious all the time... but we're talking about the main Rocketshipping episode here and they're always serious business, and Oohashi is completely incapable of writing something even close to it.

I still think that the day when Oohashi becomes a Rocketshipper will be the day when Poland gets FIFA World Cup... :x It just can't happen, if not for some miracle xD;

I think it would be either Tomioka or Fujita. But it still wouldn't be the same D:

Don't forget we may get one or two new writers. Sogo and Matsui were brought in for AG, so since BW is even more of a reboot, it's the perfect time to "train" some new, younger writers. Don't forget that Oohashi is about the same age as Takegami...
Yeah, we can always have fresh meat on board ;D

It's possible. I'm sure he's under contract for a specific amount of episodes, and due to where the series is at, you can't always get to pick what you want to happen in your last episode. Shudo's was nothing special, after all.
Oh, it sucks :( I would seriously cry if he left. It's a good thing that Tomioka is still in charge because it means I don't have to worry about Rocketshipping's future, but if Takegami left... I think that something about Rocketshipping would die too.

Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I know I'll feel like it, at least for some time.

I know it doesn't need to be serious all the time... but we're talking about the main Rocketshipping episode here and they're always serious business,

I think we can agree that Guardie and Kojiro was hardly serious business. I know looking back it wasn't really much of a Rocketshipping episode, but all it takes is one scene to meet the minimum requirement!

I think it would be either Tomioka or Fujita. But it still wouldn't be the same D:

Very true. :-( I doubt this will happen, but I really want the show (as in, Satoshi's story) to end before Takegami retires. He really deserves to write the Rocket version of Takeshi's farewell episode. In fact, I think that episode is exactly how it'll go down with the Rockets. Takegami (hopefully) will write the episode where they decide to leave the Rocket-dan and we get our shippy resolution, but they wont actually leave the series until the last episode, which Tomioka will write.

Maybe I'm just sentimental, but I know I'll feel like it, at least for some time.

I think we'll all feel that way. :-(

I think we can agree that Guardie and Kojiro was hardly serious business.
I don't know, I just never thought of it as comedy episode.

I know looking back it wasn't really much of a Rocketshipping episode, but all it takes is one scene to meet the minimum requirement!
Hehe, that's what I was saying since DP117. If not for that one scense, this episode not only wouldn't be Rocketshippy, it would be anti-Rocketshippy xD

I remember that Rocketshippers had always their 3 favourite episodes. During original series they were Holy Matrimony, Pokemon Shipwreck and Ghost of Maiden's Peak. Of course there were many other episodes, but they were seen as minor.

As the time passed by, Hoso and DP117 took places of PS and GoMP. I no longer think that GoMP was that shippy as I used to, but I still have a thing for PS. But, what I'm trying t say, I just wonder, if we get BW Rocketshippy episode, will it replace Holy Matrimony's place, or will it be added as 4th episode. I think it depends on what kind of episode would it be. But, if the times, where Rocketshippers won't list HM as one of their favourite Rocketshippy episode will come, I'll laugh at poor old me so hard :lol:

It's really interesting, how much Rocketshipping changed during the years :)

Very true. :-( I doubt this will happen, but I really want the show (as in, Satoshi's story) to end before Takegami retires. He really deserves to write the Rocket version of Takeshi's farewell episode. In fact, I think that episode is exactly how it'll go down with the Rockets. Takegami (hopefully) will write the episode where they decide to leave the Rocket-dan and we get our shippy resolution, but they wont actually leave the series until the last episode, which Tomioka will write.
I think that everyone here would want it to happen... D: Why do Pokemon series have to be so looooong D:

But, do you think that Tomioka would be in charge for this long? ;D Till the end of Satoshi's journey?

I think we'll all feel that way. :-(
*sniffs* :-(

The Rockets without Shudo really began to suck... I think that something similar could happen ifwith Rocketshipping Takegami left. Maybe not that bad, since Tomioka would be here, but still... like we waited for a few years for someone awesome as Tomioka to take care of the Rockets, we would have to wait some time for someone to take care of Rocketshipping too.
You could say that Tomioka is "in charge" of Rocketshipping now, but in his episodes, the main priority seems to be character development. Rocketshipping comes as just secondary effect. In Takegami's episodes, Rocketshipping becomes the main point of an episode.

But, if the times, where Rocketshippers won't list HM as one of their favourite Rocketshippy episode will come, I'll laugh at poor old me so hard :lol:

You and me both. That would an extremely hilarious day. :lol:

I think that everyone here would want it to happen... D: Why do Pokemon series have to be so looooong D:

I prefer this to Pokemon ending after only a year and a half. It's nice being on a long journey with characters you love.

But, do you think that Tomioka would be in charge for this long? ;D Till the end of Satoshi's journey?

I don't see why he wouldn't. My concern that he wouldn't be sticking around was because:

1. There was lots of "this is the end" foreshadowing/Black and White being a reboot. (Which actually turned out to be true. Only it wasn't the total reboot I feared.)
2. There was always a staff change after every series.
3. He's doing the series construction for two others series besides Pokemon. (I underestimated the Japanese love of working themselves to death.)
4. While most of the fandom seemed to love DP, Omae-sama and the other higher ups may not have liked the way Tomioka changed things.

Now that we know he isn't a one and done guy, I see no reason he wouldn't stay as series constructor unless he retires or screws up the show really bad.

The Rockets without Shudo really began to suck... I think that something similar could happen ifwith Rocketshipping Takegami left. Maybe not that bad, since Tomioka would be here, but still... like we waited for a few years for someone awesome as Tomioka to take care of the Rockets, we would have to wait some time for someone to take care of Rocketshipping too.

I agree. We're lucky that we have our own shippy writer, while other ships only have Tomioka episodes to look forward too.

I'm not even sure anyone would take Takegami's place if/when he left unless there was a new writer hired that loves them/Rocketshipping to death.

I have a topic that I don't think we've done yet.

If Musashi and Kojiro promised to be together for the rest of their lives, would you consider Rocketshipping canon?

I've been thinking of realistic shippy scenarios for them, and I wondered if they might say something like that. Maybe Kojiro is worrying Musashi will leave again, but then she references DP117 and says that she wants them to stay together for the rest of this life too. It really wouldn't be any shippier than that, but I think that would be close enough to canon for me.

And if anyone has any other ideas of what would happen besides a confession that you think would make Rocketshipping canon, please share!

Last edited:
If Musashi and Kojiro promised to be together for the rest of their lives, would you consider Rocketshipping canon?

I've been thinking of realistic shippy scenarios for them, and I wondered if they might say something like that. Maybe Kojiro is worrying Musashi will leave again, but then she references DP117 and says that she wants them to stay together for the rest of this life too. It really wouldn't be any shippier than that, but I think that would be close enough to canon for me.

And if anyone has any other ideas of what would happen besides a confession that you think would make Rocketshipping canon, please share!
I think that scenario would be realistic too, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it romantic canon... Unless it's strongly implied in animation like in Guardie&Kojiro. That line would work the best if they said it at the end of their story.

Hopefully we will get nice, small hints though BW, like them complimenting on their looks (keep Oohashi in a leash the next time Kojiro has to think if Musashi is cute or not) and blushing. I really do (want to) believe that BW will be the end of the rockets. It would be perfect to give them one more time to grow up and realize certain things. 6th gen rockets would mean BW won't give much...

I think that scenario would be realistic too, but I wouldn't necessarily consider it romantic canon... Unless it's strongly implied in animation like in Guardie&Kojiro.

I was picturing them holding hands like this (except happily smiling at each other course) when they said it.

But, does Rocketshipping have to be romantic canon for everyone to be happy? Obviously it's what we all want, but I don't think I'd complain too much if it was just something like this at the end.

I really do (want to) believe that BW will be the end of the rockets. It would be perfect to give them one more time to grow up and realize certain things.

If Isshu is really the new Kanto, maybe it'll end like however Kanto was supposed to?

I was picturing them holding hands like this (except happily smiling at each other course) when they said it.
I think it would be better if they held their hands down, like in that Nagisa rocket episode. It would give a more powerful feeling, they would hold their hands while watching towards the sunset etc.
But, does Rocketshipping have to be romantic canon for everyone to be happy? Obviously it's what we all want, but I don't think I'd complain too much if it was just something like this at the end.
I said earlier that I'll be ok with it if they're just together and happy in the end. But it has to give a very strong feeling, like G&K.
If Isshu is really the new Kanto, maybe it'll end like however Kanto was supposed to?
That's interesting. We'll have to see. :D

I'll be offline for the weekend, have a good talk guys! Ghost of the Maiden's Peak will air on PS, be sure to catch it.

I think it would be better if they held their hands down, like in that Nagisa rocket episode. It would give a more powerful feeling, they would hold their hands while watching towards the sunset etc.

Good point, this would have to be during sunset. :p But yeah, holding hands like that would be good too. As long as it's not another handshake.

I'll be offline for the weekend, have a good talk guys!

Good luck next week Meron! :-D Best wishes and all that. ;-)

Ghost of the Maiden's Peak will air on PS, be sure to catch it.

Its been forever since I've seen that episode. I think it'll be fun to watch it and then discuss here. Maybe compare it to how things are now?

This way of thinking is nice, but it didn't really work perfect in the original series (not to mention AG, where it didn't work at all). The problem were, some of other writers, especially Oohashi. In his episodes, Musashi and Kojiro's personalities clashed horribly and were fighting each other mutually, instead of completing each other. Such episodes just contradicted Musashi and Kojiro's coexistence as they made them look selfish. But that's the original intention, that counts, especially if Tomioka now is really making sure that the writing of any writer isn't out of the place ;) It's funny, how the Rockets are closer to the original intention now than in the original series :lol:

It's nice that they started off the way they did, though. If they had started out the way they are now, there wouldn't have been room for all of the character development they've been under going through in DP. It made them interesting, especially in the way that they changed (in that it had to happen in Musashi before Kojiro, the way what one does always has a direct effect on the other...it goes back to what you were saying about their "team" coexistance). Which is interesting, especially because the show wasn't meant to go on this long. And their former personalty traits, while they still show through from time to time, make us appreciate DP that much more ;D But we wouldn't have been able to appreciate their character development if they had not started off the way they did. I just really wonder how much of it was planned from the beginning, or if the original intention was to have it happen in a shorter time span under different circumstances.

Hey, that should be my line XD I feel always lost when it comes to analyzing Team Rocket mottos, especially their newer ones. I know one thing - Shudo must hate their DP motto as it seems to completely contradict the one he wrote. The only line he would like would be "The stars of the era are us!", I suppose. Shudo will talk a little more about the original motto later, so we'll be back to it yet.

No, because you over analyze RIGHT ;P I'm excited to read what else he has to say about their original motto :D

But, if the times, where Rocketshippers won't list HM as one of their favourite Rocketshippy episode will come, I'll laugh at poor old me so hard :lol:

I just can't imagine what would have to happen in an episode, or several episodes, for HM to be left in the dust like that XD But shouldn't we look forward to such a thing? XD There was a time when I thought it didn't get any better than that...

Yeah, that would be the most realistic way for it to happen. And like Meron said, if it were said at the end of their journey it would be perfect ;P Especially looking back on all they went through together on their travels, I can't really see them apart, romantically involved or not...and it would probably be implied if promising to be together was part of their send off. But even if it wasn't said at the end, it would be a nice confirmation that no matter what trials they face on the remainder of their journey that they'll stick together through it. It would just show their willingness to work together through their problems more than anything.

And you know, I think that that the reason I started caring more about Satoshi and wanting him to do well in the League is because the Rockets were cheering for him so hard. Subconscious is a funny thing.

Last edited:

Yes, absolutely!! I am so glad that you brought this up because this is one way that I envision the ending to the rockets's stories. I think that if at the end of the series they promise to stay together to help each other with their respective goals, this is (almost) as good as rocketshipping being canon. Honestly, it is difficult for me to imagine their story ever ending, therefore I feel an ambiguous ending would fit.

I agree. Plus, I think it would be cute that the last episode they are in they could split up for awhile (not because of a fight, but because of other circumstances) and at the end of the episode they can come back together and promise each other they will stay together and all that lovely stuff.

Its been forever since I've seen that episode. I think it'll be fun to watch it and then discuss here. Maybe compare it to how things are now?

Ooh, that sounds like a fun idea! You have to appreciate Kanto rocketshipping, since that's where it all started :)

You and me both. That would an extremely hilarious day. :lol:
And I know this day will come someday XD I'll watch Holy Matrimony and think to myself "Gah. And to think there was a time when I watched it in fangirling spasms" xD

I prefer this to Pokemon ending after only a year and a half. It's nice being on a long journey with characters you love.
Yeah, I know, but I don't want to die before Pokemon ends, you know! XD

I don't see why he wouldn't. My concern that he wouldn't be sticking around was because:

1. There was lots of "this is the end" foreshadowing/Black and White being a reboot. (Which actually turned out to be true. Only it wasn't the total reboot I feared.)
2. There was always a staff change after every series.
3. He's doing the series construction for two others series besides Pokemon. (I underestimated the Japanese love of working themselves to death.)
4. While most of the fandom seemed to love DP, Omae-sama and the other higher ups may not have liked the way Tomioka changed things.
Yeah, it makes a lot of sense, but you may never know when Pokemon ends... what if it will be still being aired in 20 or so years? It's Japan we're talking about, it's not impossible, unless popularity ratings drop, of course.
Tomioka is going to be in charge for a long time yet, but he'll eventually get old too. Maybe Pokemon ends before that, maybe not.

And after what they did in BW, I just can't see a series reboot, with all brand new characters. It looks like it's as far as they go.

Now that we know he isn't a one and done guy, I see no reason he wouldn't stay as series constructor unless he retires or screws up the show really bad.
So yeah, he may still retire before Pokemon ends. I can't see him screwing the show up... It's Tomioka, he mends things XD

I agree. We're lucky that we have our own shippy writer, while other ships only have Tomioka episodes to look forward too.
We should feel special! :-D

I'm not even sure anyone would take Takegami's place if/when he left unless there was a new writer hired that loves them/Rocketshipping to death.
Yeah, me either.

I have a topic that I don't think we've done yet.

Since going into details would just spoil my doujinshi will just say - yes I would :D

Meron replied for me arleady ;D
Meron said:
I said earlier that I'll be ok with it if they're just together and happy in the end. But it has to give a very strong feeling, like G&K.
This <3

Like Kanto was supposed to? *first movie original trailer comes to her mind*

Wait, which episode it was?

Good point, this would have to be during sunset. :p But yeah, holding hands like that would be good too. As long as it's not another handshake.
Most of old-school Rocketshippers actually believed they were holding hands, not shaking them. Lol xD;

To me, it always looked more like a handshake. Let alone, that the real Japanese just don't handshake, but that's Pokemon world for you xD;
But a handshake or not, the scene was intended to look romantic and it indeed looked romantic.There's not so many actual romantic-looking scenes in Pokemon, so that's really something.

Good luck next week Meron! :-D Best wishes and all that. ;-)
I see what you did here xD

Good luck, Meron! :3

It's nice that they started off the way they did, though. If they had started out the way they are now, there wouldn't have been room for all of the character development they've been under going through in DP. It made them interesting, especially in the way that they changed (in that it had to happen in Musashi before Kojiro, the way what one does always has a direct effect on the other...it goes back to what you were saying about their "team" coexistance). Which is interesting, especially because the show wasn't meant to go on this long. And their former personalty traits, while they still show through from time to time, make us appreciate DP that much more ;D But we wouldn't have been able to appreciate their character development if they had not started off the way they did. I just really wonder how much of it was planned from the beginning, or if the original intention was to have it happen in a shorter time span under different circumstances.
That's it, Carly, without it there just wouldn't be fun. Without character development, the characters become just flat and boring. Maybe even - inhuman. People in real life change to, as they're reacting to various things that happened in their lives. Anime characters need to be flexible too, to be appealing to the viewers.

I think they might have think about character development for Musashi and Kojiro from the beginning, but of course it wouldn't happen in the way it's happening today, as they wouldn't have that much time and they would take just another path instead. However, it's not like Kanto didn't have character development at all. Musashi and Kojiro were, after all, evil criminals at the very beginning. Barely after several episodes we could discover, that they have feelings and interesting personalities. But still, it was hard to say if some occurences/dialogue really left any effect on them. Anyway, not on Rocketshipping, that's for sure. Nowadays, it's different, since we have to pay attention to every single quote, since it may affect the way characters will behave in future episodes. It's been never happening before.

I just can't imagine what would have to happen in an episode, or several episodes, for HM to be left in the dust like that XD But shouldn't we look forward to such a thing? XD There was a time when I thought it didn't get any better than that...
I don't think it would be that hard ;D Come on, Pokemon writers, I know you can do it :D You're so awesome, after all :crush:

I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm just so excited to see Musashi and Kojiro's possible new looks. If they managed to make Satoshi look cute (I've never considered him cute until now! xD) then at the thought what could they do to Kojiro, I'm just getting spasms XD I hate being so excited about it, I don't want to feel dissapointed later D: Get me down, someone! xD

Like Kanto was supposed to? *first movie original trailer comes to her mind*

There's no proof that's how the series was supposed to end.

Wait, which episode it was?

http://www.freewebs.com/rocketshipper/dp166.htm

Get me down, someone! xD

Well, Musashi and Kojiro look more evil in the character sheet, so they may not be cuter after all.

But I kinda doubt they'd look bad since everyone else (included the updated attacks) look awesome.

There's no proof that's how the series was supposed to end.
So what did you mean by saying "maybe it will end like Kanto supposed to end"?

Oh, this. No, I can't imagine them keeping their hands down like that at the time of confession. They should keep them closer to their chests/faces :D

But I kinda doubt they'd look bad since everyone else (included the updated attacks) look awesome.
And that's the problem! xD; Is there any chance to get a glimpse of BW Rockets next week? Well, they certainly aren't done with BW advertising, that's for sure. But it's a little weird that the Rockets are the only characters that were confirmed to be in BW, yet not "visually". They even showed Ookido-hakase on characters' page (who still looks the same he did), and not the Rockets :/ What can it mean?

So what did you mean by saying "maybe it will end like Kanto supposed to end"?

Just that. We don't know what Shudo was planning, maybe there's a rough outline of what was supposed to happen?

And that's the problem! xD; Is there any chance to get a glimpse of BW Rockets next week?

There's always a chance. As you said, they're not done promoting BW yet.

They even showed Ookido-hakase on characters' page (who still looks the same he did), and not the Rockets :/ What can it mean?

Nothing. The Rockets aren't even on the DP page. They're just not important enough to promote.

Just that. We don't know what Shudo was planning, maybe there's a rough outline of what was supposed to happen?
Whatever it was, it was something good for the Rockets :D And I think that Tomioka would pay attention to it, if he ever were to write a Pokemon ending.

Nothing. The Rockets aren't even on the DP page. They're just not important enough to promote.
Yes, it means something - that they're not important enough. I don't like it, but I just hope that we will get to see them finally yet before BW starts.

But seriously, if I didn't know that Tomioka is staying in charge, I'd panick now that again they will be treaten like trash in new generation xD;

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom