• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Russian and Hebrew Human names

Maxim Posthumus

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
The Russian and Hebrew names in the Characters articles are annoying me.

I think they should be deleted from articles because:

1. They are unofficial. - Transliterating English into Russian and Hebrew (especially Hebrew) is a hard job. The transliteration of some characters is very ambiguous. That means that the name can be transliterated into two or more (accurate or less accurate) ways. There aren't any specified official transliterations - everything is fanwork.

2. They are inaccurate - Some of names are transliterated inaccurately. For example, the Russian spelling of Phoebe should be Фиби not Фоэб. The guy who used that transliteration it apparently did not know how to pronounce Phoebe.

We could transliterate these names into 100 other alphabets and we didn't. So, I don't know what are Russian and Hebrew transliterations doing there. I think they should be deleted.

How do you even know those aren't their official names in those languages?

Just shut up already. No one here likes you.

While I'm not a big fan of Maxim, I do believe that he's a good point.

Unless it's actually true that the games haven't been translated into those languages (which I find hard to believe, and in any case I know that the anime has at least a Hebrew translation and I'd be surprised if it didn't have a Russian version), I am disinclined to believe anything Maxim says. He's an idiot, mini-mod, and racist against anyone who's not Japanese.

Actually, to the best of my knowledge, the game has far fewer translations than the anime.

Makes sense. In any case, if the games haven't been translated into those languages, the translations used in the anime are perfectly fine and official.

Unless it's actually true that the games haven't been translated into those languages (which I find hard to believe, and in any case I know that the anime has at least a Hebrew translation and I'd be surprised if it didn't have a Russian version), I am disinclined to believe anything Maxim says. He's an idiot, mini-mod, and racist against anyone who's not Japanese.

Oooh, St. Ketsuban.

It's good when you're above the rules, isn't it? Regular user would be banned because of that.

And I DO know that these are not official names. And I can tell why.

1. Russian has done anime dub (I used to have Pokemon 2 movie in Russian dub) but it's a dub. So, it was never written. We don't know their written versions. And I doubt that Russian anime has gone SO far. Hebrew dub has gone to Advanced. I don't know if it came further.

2. Russian and Hebrew versions have only anime. No russian games, no russian manga, no hebrew games, no hebrew manga. So, characters like Hoenn E4 or Wallace CAN'T have their official Hebrew/Russian names.

3. I'm pretty sure that Hebrew Names are from pokemon.co.il fansite. Not sure about Russian ones. Fansite - that's the keyword. The owner of these fansites apparently mispronounced some names and the transliterations are just INACCURATE.

There is no OFFICIAL source of Russian/Hebrew names. They are just fantranslated. We can transliterate the English human names to Greek or every other alphabet in this world. But that's not our policy. They won't be official international names.

Ketsuban, are you holding a grudge against me? You, Americans are way to sulky! I'm sure you will be holding a grudge against me as long as you live.

And does the fact that I want to delete Hebrew names automatically make me an Antisemite?

I'm not any racist. I just don't like my country. Everything is unavailable here.

Oooh, St. Ketsuban.

It's good when you're above the rules, isn't it? Regular user would be banned because of that.

Oy vey. No, we would not ban someone for not liking you, or not pretending to like you. Otherwise Bulbagarden would have many, many less members. It's when a level of notable disrespect is shown that we crack the whip.

Really, the only one who gets a free ride is Mozz. And that's because he's Mozz.

If anyone's got a grudge against you here, it's because you have shown an inability to cool your jets. And an obnoxious habit to always capitalize words like OFFICIAL.

Eh, I always though that the "nobody likes you" comment, even if true, was a bit over the top.

But either way, Maxim brings up some excellent points, as far as his second and third points go.

Eh, I always though that the "nobody likes you" comment, even if true, was a bit over the top.

But either way, Maxim brings up some excellent points, as far as his second and third points go.

Pokemon Games have been released only in languages listed below:
Japanese, of course
English, of course
French
German
Italian
Spanish
Korean (Only GS, Dash and Trozei/Link)

And of course bootleged Chinese versions. You can also find ROMs of Portuguese and other Translations, but they are hacktranslations made by fans.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom