• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S06 EP15: There's no Place Like Hoenn

Originally posted by InfiniteBlue
I barely noticed. What I saw was the embers hitting James' face, but the skin didn't char right away; only in the next set of frames was his hair on the friz, but his skin was OK. What happened in the Japanese version?

onfire.jpg

Originally posted by Dogasu
Comparison's up. I have the picture of the badge case and everything.

This site has exceeded its limit of 3 Gigabytes of transfer for the month. You may buy extra Gigabytes of transfer by logging in to the user menu and choosing "upgrade".

:-D Thanks for the picture Murgatroyd!

Originally posted by Dogasu in his AG episode #3 comparison:
And here I always thought 4Kids was always trying to make James more flaming than he already was...*rimshot*
That may be true, but it kinda reminds me of what they do to Cosmo in The Fairly OddParents. Clearly, he's married to Wanda, but they put gay jokes in there whenever they get the chance. Maybe the James-gay thing is all a gag? I dunno...

Anyway, Kojiro's skull can be seen in the flames... *twisted grin*

Originally posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
And what's so bad about that? They've shown the same thing before. Heck, Murg, you have a picture of Brock in nearly the same position...

Refresh my memory...when have they ever shown any character in Pokémon on fire like that?

Hasn't it happened to Ash a few times after Charizard breathes fire on him? And in "Pokémon Shipwreck", J&J are on fire, which is what wakes them up from their island fantasy (granted, the fire is atop their heads rather than engulfing their heads, but it lasted longer)

Originally posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
Hasn't it happened to Ash a few times after Charizard breathes fire on him? And in "Pokémon Shipwreck", J&J are on fire, which is what wakes them up from their island fantasy (granted, the fire is atop their heads rather than engulfing their heads, but it lasted longer)
Yes, you're correct on that. In Problem with Paras, Charmeleon breathes fire on Ash. His WHOLE head. It's not technically "on fire," but the flame flows over his whole head for a few seconds, and his face is totally charred black and he puffs out smoke afterwards. I think the reason why 4Kids edited this instance out is because they are more careful nowadays, after 9/11 and stuff. The banned the Tentacruel epi after 9/11 because Tentacruel destroyed the buildings.

Originally posted by Hitchi
The banned the Tentacruel epi after 9/11 because Tentacruel destroyed the buildings.
I've seen that claim several times, but never any evidence for it. That episode hadn't been shown for a couple of years before 9/11, either.

I missed it, because I was at that San Diego Pokémon Rocks America! event on Saturday. Missing the episode was well worth it though of course, and I plan to catch it when they air it again Friday. Anyhow~

Yes, you're correct on that. In Problem with Paras, Charmeleon breathes fire on Ash. His WHOLE head. It's not technically "on fire," but the flame flows over his whole head for a few seconds, and his face is totally charred black and he puffs out smoke afterwards.

Indeed, and Blackjack is right in that we've seen similar instances many times before with Charizard (in Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon, I remember Brock comments that after being Flamethrowered by Charizard so many times Ash would soon be too overcooked for Aerodactyl to eat, heh). Of course Team Rocket also got barbequed by Charmeleon in Paras, but then we've seen that happen in the way it did many times before...

The banned the Tentacruel epi after 9/11 because Tentacruel destroyed the buildings.

Really?? I'd never heard that before, though I certainly don't doubt you're correct in saying so. How pathetic... I could make plenty of snappy, bitchy comments on how I feel about society taking the demand to be PC too far anymore, but I know we've all heard it before, most if not all of us probably feel the same way, and not to menion the fact that it likely wouldn't change anything... Meh.

That may be true, but it kinda reminds me of what they do to Cosmo in The Fairly OddParents. Clearly, he's married to Wanda, but they put gay jokes in there whenever they get the chance. Maybe the James-gay thing is all a gag? I dunno...

Heh, reminds me of a remark ChicRocketJames made to me before about Poké's James... something to the effect of "James: the gayest man on Earth who might possibly be straight". Hee, I thought it was funny, myself... ^.^

EDIT: Whoop, missed Murg's post...

Originally posted by Dogasu
Refresh my memory...when have they ever shown any character in Pokémon on fire like that?

And in one episode, TR (heh...including Victreebel) was running around on fire...can't remember why...Ash stepped forward and said "I'm gonna regret this," and called out Squirtle to use Water Gun to save them. Now that I think of it, it was the ep where they ran into the Indigo Plateau stadium with the torch.

Oh, oh..! The name was All Fired Up, wasn't it?

Meehee... *remembers Team Rocket's lines during the incident*

JESSIE: (*running from Meowth who's on fire*) "Get away, you fiery feline!"
JAMES: "Flaming furball!"
MEOWTH: "Put me out, put me out!"

Originally posted by Murgatroyd
I've seen that claim several times, but never any evidence for it. That episode hadn't been shown for a couple of years before 9/11, either.
Yeah, that's just what I heard too, from several sources, so I just assumed it was true. ^^; It was one of my least favourite episodes.

Originally posted by GeneralStar
Oh, oh..! The name was All Fired Up, wasn't it?

Meehee... *remembers Team Rocket's lines during the incident*

JESSIE: (*running from Meowth who's on fire*) "Get away, you fiery feline!"
JAMES: "Flaming furball!"
MEOWTH: "Put me out, put me out!"

LOL can't remember exactly but that sounds about right. Was I the only one that got this nice feeling the first time I saw that episode and they were carrying the torch, with the middle part of the opening theme playing in the background? I really liked that part. And now that I think of it, they were on fire because they got burned by the torch somehow in their struggle to claim it.

Having actually seen the tentacruel episode this summer on CN, I don't think it was banned entirely.

Yes, that's right! ^.^ Ehm, as I recall anyway.. *hasn't seen the episode in quite some time now* I think Meowth caught fire first, and was running after Jessie and James calling for them to put him out to which James responded by releasing Victreebel (who proceeded to glomp down on Meowth and then caught fire itself as a result).

That whole scene was hilarious.

Yeah, I also remember that scene. It was so funny!! LOL!

And the music that was playing then really fit it too....hehe, I just love that little zyllaphone (sp?) song! :-D

There's No Place Like Hoenn

I liked how May talked so big and kindly of her father at the beginning of the episode but moments later acted like she really didn't know him the sense a daughter would a father and got all sentimental about it. Pikachu waving goodbye to May when she said "later, Ash" made me smile for some reason. I liked how Max recognized Ash from the Johto League Silver Conference and his eyes were glowing because he was impressed and how Ash was annoyed with him. I swear he has the most fitting voice for a young kid his age, I remember TPCi's being more of a preteen nerd while 4kids' sounds like a lil' Einstein, kinda fitting given he matures later. Those flashbacks to the Johto League and being able to see Ash in his previous outfit, he certainly looked younger in OS clothing. The interactions between Ash and Max were nice and they do really remind me of siblings in this episode, too bad this doesn't stick for much longer and they feel more like companions in a sense which I guess is better.

May brings up her bike again, cool beans, hope this is the last time though. We especially didn't need a flashback for something that happened an episode ago. So Ash considers Brock. Tracey, and Misty "some of his best friends?" Max continuously dropping hints about wanting to go on a journey got a bit old quick, though I did like the speech about how Ash wants to use solely new Pokemon for his Hoenn Journey. Vigoroth solely using Scratch the whole battle was so stupid, I guess Norman didn't want to go hard on him because it was an unofficial battle? But still it seemed kinda weird. The way Caroline said she didn't think Ash had a chance against Norman and his Vigoroth bothered me for some reason. Though I thought it was hilarious the way Max started dick-riding as soon as Pikachu showed he was no pushover. Something I don't mention enough is I like it when trainers mirror their Pokemon when commanding them in battle, what Norman did with Vigoroth.

Max screaming at May to help out with her Pokemon was a great wake-up call, sure Max can be a bit snarky at times but he definitely forced May to do something. Poor Max took a lot of abuse this episode from being attacked by a few Pokemon like that and being hit by May, he probably is one of my favorite characters, the fake crying was great. The reference to Noctowl was great as well as Bayleef and shows Ash is lost without them there to help. Team Rocket pit-holes, that takes me back. XD "Big bad mad dad." Jessie, one of the uncommon moments I find TR funny. May's crappy Pokemon knowledge moments continue, "Amber", really? :p I guess Max getting the role of the Navigator is better than him not doing shit, being he has zero Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom