• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S07 EP29: Love, Petalburg Style!

I'll probably have to watch it when YTV airs it because I watched Sonic X instead and I won't be around to watch it on Friday. Thanks a lot 4Kids for having a new Sonic X ep at the same time as a new Pokemon ep.

I thought Brock *had* passed through Petalburg before he met AshCo. I thought he said that's how he knew where to find Ash and friends.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
I'm wondering...would it be possible to find out if this is a 4Kids edit or a WB edit? Because this does kinda smack of a network intervention...

We'd have to wait for the episode to air in the U.K. or Australia or Canada first. If the blush is still there when the episode airs over there, then it's a Kids' WB! edit.

Does anyone know when the episode would premiere in any of those countries?

pikapal said:
It would have been better if they would have mentioned the word "affair" the title of the episode could have been "A Joyous Affair". I'm so sick of those Love ... Style titles they are on thier 3rd one. You can still tell Megan is not the VA of Caroline and Joy anymore. But I heard her voice in Sonic X and Shaman King today.
That would have been really spiffy.
icon_whee.gif

I miss Megan's Joy voice. Caroline and Norman sounded weird, too. I wonder why she's not with Pokémon anymore.

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
Yeah, I also noticed [Ash's strange voice], and I thought it was really weird, Kthleen.
I mean, most of the time, Ash's voice pretty much stays the same. And when I first heard his voice in this episode, I thought it sounded a little bit different for some reason.

I noticed [how Ash told Norman, "Team Rocket's tryin' to steal some o' your Pokémon"] too. And I thought it was both weird and funny. I mean, it was weird, cause I wasn't expecting him to say it that way, and it was funny, just cause of the way it sounded. Anyway, when I first heard that, I tried to think of a reason why he'd say that line like that, and the only thing I could think of is maybe 4Kids made him say it that way, because they couldn't fit the lip flaps or something.
Maybe Mrs. Taylor was sick?

I would think that between the seemingly somewhat edit-happy digital artists and the fact that V.T. could have just as easily said the lines a tiny bit more forcefully (unless she was sick?), I would think that Ash could have used his normal angry tone.

Does anybody know how Satoshi said this part? Did he say it with that "Uh, yeah... this happened" tone that Ash used?

I also found it interesting that Joy had a side job, a pyrotechnician no less.

Heh heh, "She didn't say, 'Beautifly,' she said, 'Soup and fries'!"

Last edited:
Dogasu said:

Well what normally happens with Sky is that they play a whole flurry of new episodes (one each day) and then once say 10 episodes or so have been shown, they just stop and we have to wait for another couple of months.

Anyway, Sky begin showing new episodes, starting with "Disguise Da Limit" on friday the 26th of March and proceed with a new one each day, so at a guess, you're looking at 2nd of April, I know sucks doesn't it.

Dogasu said:
We'd have to wait for the episode to air in the U.K. or Australia or Canada first. If the blush is still there when the episode airs over there, then it's a Kids' WB! edit.

I donno, wasn't WB the one to ban the Dratini episode? I've heard several times from many places that 4Kids has it all dubbed, and WB wouldn't let them air it, and that sure hasn't been shown in the UK or Canada or Australia...

The decision to ban or not to ban the Dratini episode came before Kids' WB! picked the series up, when it was still in syndication. So Kids' WB! had nothing to do with that one.

RE: Ash's voice. Is he possibly going through puberty now? Especially if it goes from being deep to being high.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Would he necessarily know, though?

I was just thinking it does seem like more of a WB edit than a 4Kids edit simply because 4Kids *did* leave in things like how Flint had abandoned his family...but wasn't the show on a different network when that episode initially aired?
Well, he is a VA for 4Kids, but I'm not really sure if he'd know about that or not....

Anyway, I agree with you on that being a WB edit though.

And about them leaving in the thing with Flint abandoning his family, yeah, I think the show was on a different network when that episode originally aired, because it was an early first season episode. And I think Pokemon didn't start airing on the WB until later in the first season.

Originally posted by Kthleen
Maybe Mrs. Taylor was sick?

I would think that between the seemingly somewhat edit-happy digital artists and the fact that V.T. could have just as easily said the lines a tiny bit more forcefully (unless she was sick?), I would think that Ash could have used his normal angry tone.
Yeah, you're right, Kthleen.

Maybe V.T. could've been sick, cause that would make more sense as for why Ash didn't do his normal angry tone.

Or, if she wasn't sick, then maybe they thought the angry tone wouldn't look right for that scene, cause of the way Ash was pointing in it and everything?

I mean, that scene did look a little weird....

Last edited:
I had already uncovered a slight spoiler that suggested that Nurse Joy might be having an affair with Norman in an upcoming episode, but I least expected it to be this one. The suspense in the air was very thick and my sibilings and I all agreed that Norman was cheating on Caroline...until he revealed the fireworks surprise. I drew my own conclusions even though Caroline never said that she thought Norman was cheating. It was nice to see Ash fade into the background for once and let May, Max, and Brock take charge of the plot. James had a good line and this was one awesome episode.

Roxy's Rating: 10/10

~Roxy~

I liked this episode too. I liked how dense Norman was and how everyone made a big deal over something that norman ended up laughing over. I also liked how clueless Ash was and having no real idea about what was going on. TR's lines were funny too. "A Joyous Affair" would have been a hilarious title :XD2:
I didn't think it was necessary to actually say the word 'affair' since it was kind of obvious wat was going on, seeing the original or not seeing the original.

Firstly, Meowth's daydream? Completely WRONG. I have been wierded out in the past by Gio fantasies, but this one... with the Vigoroth climbing all over him.... NOOOO!!!!!!!! So. Freaking. Wrong. For the love of Jesus...

So it's acceptable for Caroline to say "Good Lord!" but if we mention cheating parents.... it's taboo?
Once again, classic 4Kids hypocrisy.

On the bright side, the line about Meowth being dumbest was pure gold.

PokemonTrainerLisa said:
Yeah, you're right, Kthleen.

Maybe V.T. could've been sick, cause that would make more sense as for why Ash didn't do his normal angry tone.

Or, if she wasn't sick, then maybe they thought the angry tone wouldn't look right for that scene, cause of the way Ash was pointing in it and everything?

I mean, that scene did look a little weird....
He did look odd in that scene, eh?

You could be right about it just not looking right for the scene. Also, like Barb said, he could be going through puberty....
icon_wink.gif

Anybody... know how... Satoshi... said... it.... I give up.

Myss Hydra said:
I also liked how clueless Ash was and having no real idea about what was going on.
He didn't seem entirely clueless; in fact, I could tell that he thought something was off when he saw Norman and Joy conversing in the Pokémon Center. I mean, look at his face:

AG54.jpg
AG55.jpg
AG56.jpg

Serebii no e, korera wa.

He knew something was "wrong". However, he did go to wait in the greenhouse, which would have kept him comparatively ignorant.

nekusagi-chan said:
So it's acceptable for Caroline to say "Good Lord!" but if we mention cheating parents.... it's taboo?
Once again, classic 4Kids hypocrisy.
Maybe religion is less taboo than implied sexual immorality? I don't know why they would put in that line, though. Maybe they just wanted to for the hell of it?

Kthleen said:
He did look odd in that scene, eh?

You could be right about it just not looking right for the scene. Also, like Barb said, he could be going through puberty....
icon_wink.gif

Anybody... know how... Satoshi... said... it.... I give up.
Yeah, that's true, Kthleen.

So, basically, what we've come down to is either it just didn't didn't look right for the scene (which I think is most likely), or he could've hit puberty, like Barb said (lol).

Anyway, as for anyone knowing how Satoshi said it, when I talked to Toto last night on AIM, she told me that she had the Japanese version of this episode, and when I told her about this scene, she said she might make a video clip (or sound clip) of it.

Kasumi Chan said:
Oh noes! Let's protect our kids from things that happen in real life, like affairs and divorces! </sarcasm>

I wonder if there's any posibilities of 4Kids getting worst than this... >>;
Oh come on, this was minor at best. They've had far worse edits. I for one think they did a great job of keeping what was originally in the episode while never actually saying it. Keeps the ratings people happy and they still get to show a mature subject. It was fairly obvious the kids and Caroline thought there was an affair, it was just indirectly stated. :)

Not bad a episode, funny again like the previous one, but a bit too lovey dovey lol. May and Max, as kids, should be embarressed their parents are celebrating their love with the anniversary, not excited!

I'm glad Ash didn't get involved in the love-mess, it doesn't suit his dense nature, instead stayed home with the pokémon. Although it does appear Norman is as equally as dense as Ash is lol.

Why did Brock know who Norman, Caroline and Kenny were? He's never even met them before!

Oh by the way I can confirm from the UK version(which is the same as the American version) there was no blushing scene here from Norman when he was talking to Nurse Joy. Some of you were questioning whether it was just US/4Kids edit like the badge case was.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom