• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S08 EP50: The Saffron Con

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
May enters Squirtle in her first Kanto Contest. Can she defeat Harley and claim the ribbon?

And wow, that's one hell of a Trainer's Choice question o_O

"Which one's the tallest?!" Choices are the Regis.

Anyway, get ready, Squirtle Haters!

Looks like Registeel's keeping its Japanese voice. I'll bet we can count on it keeping its voice in the Lucario movie, too.

I bet harley is up to no good (to enter the contest with a hoenn pass is a lie).

I don't see how Maddie Blaustein can talk about how bad the music mix in "The Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon" is when we have an episode like this where the music is absolutely disjointed and doesn't fit the scenes at all.

Oh boy.....

Ash and Max even comment on how lucky that Squirtle suddenly used Ice Beam t the exact moment.

Marridian gives May all the credit for rescuing the Pokemon, what about Harley.

The twerps proves to be idiots once again as he can't tell Harley is lying, or that Jessie wearing a suit she had worn before, and James and Meowth were barely diguised....then they noticed that Jessie was missing and couldn't put two and two toghether. Max I think is the smartest person as he actually started to realize Harley was lying.

EDIT: Registeel had a rocking voice.

Squirtle learns a powerful attack out of nowhere and everyone's like "cool"? o.o Yeah, that Trainer's Choice was actually hard, I didn't get it right myself. Yeah, Harley up to no good again. Interesting to see Jessie with a different hairdo, though. XD I can definitely see the brokenness of Squirtle forthcoming.

Habunake said:
Marridian
Wait... That's Lilian's dub name? Marridian Meridian?
Cloud354 said:
Ice beam it use but the question is can it use it again in the contest?
Yup. That's where the Squirtle hating began.

Habunake said:
Ash and Max even comment on how lucky that Squirtle suddenly used Ice Beam t the exact moment.

I noticed that too. It seems like 4Kids was acknowledging the retardedness of the whole thing. Especially with Harley's line about her being lucky all the time.

FabuVinny said:

Nope; it's Lillian. I have no idea where Marridian came from.

Dogasu said:
Nope; it's Lillian. I have no idea where Marridian came from.
Someone probably misheard. But then again, I haven't seen the episode yet....

For those who don't know, Vivian Meridian is Lilian's older sister.

Good episode, and nice set up work for the Contest.

Shame that there's only two more episdoes with these voices.

Thats my fault, I forgot what her name was and put Merridian mistakenly

It was a fun episode. I certainly didn't expect to see Harley again this early in Battle Frontier, so that was kind of a surprise for me. I liked the fact that Max still distrusts (is that the right word?) Harley, though it was rather silly that the others are that gullible.

As for Squirtle, it is kind of odd that it would know an attack like that out of the blue, but who knows, maybe it was one of those "egg" moves that it just never used before. Meh. Should be interesting to see how it uses it in the contest.

The whole subplot with Cacnia and Jessie was amusing, and l liked Jessie's short haircut at the end. Though I'm sure it'll be back to normal next week. ;_;

joshnickerson said:
As for Squirtle, it is kind of odd that it would know an attack like that out of the blue, but who knows, maybe it was one of those "egg" moves that it just never used before.
I believe Yamato-san has already (multiple times!) noted the counter to this argument.

The whole subplot with Cacnia and Jessie was amusing, and l liked Jessie's short haircut at the end. Though I'm sure it'll be back to normal next week. ;_;
No, it isn't.

FabuVinny said:
Yup. That's where the Squirtle hating began.

well it happend before in the show, one in particular is the episode with the ash and co. was in johto and the fard'fecht and the Charcole man's appentice
(and i don't hate squirtle cause it evolves in a blastiose later)

NoDot said:
I believe Yamato-san has already (multiple times!) noted the counter to this argument.
And that counter is...?
NoDot said:
No, it isn't.
It stays like that for the contest but is back to normal after this two-parter.
Cloud354 said:
well it happend before in the show, one in particular is the episode with the ash and co. was in johto and the fard'fecht and the Charcole man's appentice
(and i don't hate squirtle cause it evolves in a blastiose later)
It's specifically directed towards May's Squirtle.

Squirtle pulled an Ice beam out of nowhere, and is a little too overpowered for such a young Pokemon. That's why a lot of people don't like it.

Apparently 4Kids wants to really make people believe May's Squirtle is male. First of all, it's got that horrid voice. Second, May called it "he," and Lilian called it a "guy." Jeez. I've never seen a more feminine main character's Pokémon, maybe with the exception of Haruka's Fushigidane.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom