• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S10 EP44: Mass Hip-Po-Sis!

Starly is like the only Pokemon in Sinnoh Ash made an effort to capture. All the others practically begged to be caught by him.

That's because that adds character development for the Pokémon's part. They have to have some sort of motive to be caught by Ash.

However, it could be argued that Buizel made it very hard for them to get him to join the group.

As for the episode itself, I find it kinda strange how there was only a single female Hippopotas in the herd. Oh well.

What game is that "sand in my shoe" image from?

Episode review:

(Any comment about speech is NOT directed at VA's but at the script)

Speech:

The first thing I noticed was that Ash said that he was from "Pallet Town." Doesn't he usually say "Town of Pallet"? Also, I've noticed just within this season Ash says "Knock it off" a lot, but he never used to...just an observation.

Music:

Yay 4Kids BGM!
Really good! No great battle music though. They used one of my favorite tracks at the beginning when Ash is saving the Hippopotas.
When they were collecting sand for Hippopotas-- was that music from the first movie??? It sounded familiar.

Animation:

The Rhonda's computer screen animation was good. Also, when they are about to battle James, I noticed that the borders around the heroes' bodies were particularly black. I liked this effect.

Plot:

I definitely liked the references to Kanto Season 1 (Giovanni's island shirt, Cassidy, the old motto etc.). However, the plot was a little to "old." It seems like the plot of "Ash saves a pokemon, but then sees it happy in the wild and therefore doesn't catch it" is very old. To make it more interesting, I would have recommended that maybe somebody (even if not Ash) actually catch it. Another idea would be that Ash catches it, but later sees its heard. He then would get emotional but know that the "right thing to do" would be to release it into the wild. The pokemon was really cute though- I loved how its tail wagged.

Rating: B

It's ALWAYS been "Ash from Pallet Town"

Yeah, the only time i remember him saying Town of Pallet is to the Spearow in the first episode. However that is probably one of the best remembered scenes of him saying where he's from.

What game is that "sand in my shoe" image from?

Final Fantasy 3/6. Obviously.

It's only one of the best Final Fantasy game in the series (Final Fantasy 7 ties with it.)

Hippopotas was... freakin' adorable!? I always thought Hippopotas was bland and even ugly, but the anime's made me love it. Now I see why people wanted Ash to catch it when this came out in Japan... and now I'm a little bit upset that he didn't.

I was surprised to see the Sinnoh Now crew return. I love them, and Rhonda being an angry bitch is fun. Although I'm confused. First they said they were doing a documentary on Hippopotas and were going to focus on the lost one... then after a Team Rocket encounter they leave the twerps- who have the Hippopotas- alone?

Team Rocket have been having some great mottos lately.

Eh, I found this episode kinda boring. A few good moments here and there, but not really comparable to most of the better D/P episodes as far as I'm concerned.

I was surprised to see the Sinnoh Now crew return. I love them, and Rhonda being an angry bitch is fun. Although I'm confused. First they said they were doing a documentary on Hippopotas and were going to focus on the lost one... then after a Team Rocket encounter they leave the twerps- who have the Hippopotas- alone?
Jack, the camera operator, fell asleep thanks to Hippopotas' Yawn, which slowed them down.

I agree that Ash should have caught Hippopotas. I don't know why the writers are so stingy about Ash catching more Pokemon, especially for how long Sinnoh looks to be. When was the last time Ash had to leave a Pokemon with Professor Oak because his team was full? When he caught Tauros?

And then Brock had that line where he suggested Ash catch it =(

When was the last time Ash had to leave a Pokemon with Professor Oak because his team was full? When he caught Tauros?

Heracross, I believe.

In any case, the writers don't want Ash to capture too many Pokemon to avoid "Johto syndrome" where his Kanto Pokemon had to come save Ash's ass in the Johto league because his regular team wasn't up to par that region.

I liked this eppie, I remembered the first time when I seen this, I thought for a few moments that Ash was gonna catch Hippopotas, but Hippopotas is so adorable, but the looks of it, it seem like a baby when it was compared to the other hippos when it got back to them. But damn, Ash has a strong head, maybe that makes him so headstrong on other areas when he is stubborn.

The Sinnoh Now cracks me up especially Rhonda bitchy moments, that gotta suck to the crew to carry Jack who weigh a ton.

But besides the dream episode, Team Rocket bothering everyone like 4 times, and blasting off three instead the usual 1 or 2 times.

And Team Rocket got a good laugh and brought in surprises which been mentioned.

In any case, the writers don't want Ash to capture too many Pokemon to avoid "Johto syndrome" where his Kanto Pokemon had to come save Ash's ass in the Johto league because his regular team wasn't up to par that region.
Heracross, Tauros, Kingler, and Muk all held up when Ash brought them out, even though they never got any battle experience, so it can't be that big of an issue. It's not like having a couple Sinnoh Pokémon at Oak's lab would drag his team down.

Blackjack Palazzo; said:
Hey! Japanese text!

That was Tajiran.

There hasn't been Japanese text in the show since "Cheer Pressure." Before that? "Jirachi Wish Maker." Before that? Sometime in Johto.

Do you honestly think I wouldn't have made a peep if the anime producers suddenly started putting Japanese text back into the show?

If anyone needs a bigger version of the sign, here it is:

attachment.php

Since there isn't any sort of patterns to the made-up languages used in the show at all, it's pretty ludicrous to categorize them. "Tajiran" works fine as a blanket term for all of them.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom