• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S11 EP34: Arriving in Style!

Jukain

Aka: Sceptile
Reaction score
So we have a fashion contest with everyone's favorite playboy bunny. Let's see what comes of this.

You know, there's always a slight chance there may have been last minute change ;-)

Well, the animation looks great. Since it IS Iwane, after all.

Lol at Croagunk giggling at Brock getting shut down.

Everyone's being a bitch towards Dawn today.

Jessie and James are being hyper today.

It feels like they're keeping a lot of music.

'He must be a joke at the City Hall' Lol. Probably Jessie.

That lady with the Flavor Flav grills was a bit scary.

I hope Ash is wearing underwear....

Too much makeup Jessie, lol. And Wobuffet looked....no.

Love James' freaked out reaction.

Though it's sad that Brock couldn't recogonize him.

Way to makde things bad to worse James 'they'd need blindfolds not glasses' eek.

Heh, once again James has a mood swing in the motto. Though their robot looks pretty good.

Love how Piplup got knocked out.

And of course, rubbing it in more that Jessie lost lol.

Unique award sounds like a nice way to say you lost.

heh heh, Piplup gets ignored.

This was a funny episode, liked it a lot.

Whoa! You guys were right! That Hermione lady really does look like Maddie! I wonder if it's coincidence that they're playing this episode this week.

YAY! Mismagius! Another one of my favorites!

Oh geez. I can't tell if Ash's miniskirt is shorter than Dawn's. "Uniqueness" indeed.

Apparently James' had enough of Jessie's bulls***. Not that I blame him.

Fantina says phooey on you, Ash. Poke Stylist, another pointless occupation. o.o Remember how we thought that character looks like Maddie? ;_; Her voice is lower than I thought it would be. Ominous entrance by Ash. And the cultural reference is lost in translation. Tentacle dress? Holy snap, I think I just heard a bunch of Brock and James shippers cream their pants. Lol, I like this motto. Stop stealing Fantina's French already. That ep wasn't bad, it was more than I expected.

Whoa! You guys were right! That Hermione lady really does look like Maddie! I wonder if it's coincidence that they're playing this episode this week.

YAY! Mismagius! Another one of my favorites!

Oh geez. I can't tell if Ash's miniskirt is shorter than Dawn's. "Uniqueness" indeed.

Apparently James' had enough of Jessie's bulls***. Not that I blame him.

She looks more like Edna Mode than Maddie...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e5/Edna_Mode.jpg

Only saw the second half because I misprogrammed my new DVR =(
I hate change.
Anyway I love these cheery lightharted fluff episodes.
Once again, Buneary turned my heart into a goopy puddle.

I liked this episode! It was pretty funny and Lopunny looked awesome. :D This episode had some pretty nice animation. Also, I'm not sure but I think Paris was voiced by Bella Hudson? I might be wrong. :p

That saddened me for a moment, when I saw the Maddie look-alike. =(

Anyway, this episode was pretty good.

During the beginning, I loved how they played that one song from the 8th movie!! <3

And it seemed like they kept a lot of Japanese music in this episode. I could be wrong though, lol.

As for Ash's outfit, I still think he looks like Tarzan. LOL. XD Also, in my opinion, Pikachu's outfit was much better designed. I loved how Pikachu hit the drum on its back by using its tail! And that display of electricity was awesome! ^^

By the way, Paris being voiced by Bella Hudson sounds like a good guess to me.

That's so... creepy yet heart-warming the Maddie-lookalike episode aired this week. It's almost as if the anime itself is saying goodbye, aw.

Ash: Brock, could you make me a costume so I don't have to do anything?
Brock: Okay! Here's a miniskirt and a crazy wig! Wear these and nothing else!
Ash: AWESOME!

That combined with Brock sitting next to James for no reason, having a sly smile on his face, and then being all huggy and comforting has me wondering about Brock. XD

I liked Dawn this week. Her continual anxiety has me digging her character.

Guess this is the anime's way of featuring accessories. Who would have thought that throw-away gag in the Chingling episode (?) would have been expanded into an entire episode?

A episode about fashion is usually an episode I like. ^_^

I am still giggling about Ash and Pikachu's outfit.

Buneary is cute, I really hope it never evolves into Lopunny. Thankfully this ep didn't foreshadow anything and the soothe bells from the tag battle arc seem to have gone the way of the GS ball.

I liked Dawn this week. Her continual anxiety has me digging her character.

Yeah, too bad its a rehashed plotline we always saw with May. I thought the point of Dawn's character was her overconfidence, but now they're doing the same thing with her they did with May. She was the one with anxiety and insecurity, but now they're turning Dawn into the same thing.

Who would have thought that throw-away gag in the Chingling episode (?) would have been expanded into an entire episode?

This ep is really just the appeal of a Pokemon contest disguised as something different.

It is. All the episodes after two ranger ones aired in the correct order, matching the Japanese one.

What are you talking about? Those two episodes aired much later than they were supposed to.

That saddened me for a moment, when I saw the Maddie look-alike. =(

Same here. :-(

This episode was a nice change of pace. I loved how this was mainly just about Dawn and Buneary and Piplup took a backseat.

Even if Jessie hadn't messed everything up, why was she using Wobbuffet in the first place? What was it supposed to do just stand there? I also think James' design was a little too dull.

Ash's outfit was all kinds of awesome. That jungle theme really fits him well, and I thought Pikachu banging on the drum with his tail was cute.

Yeah, too bad its a rehashed plotline we always saw with May. I thought the point of Dawn's character was her overconfidence, but now they're doing the same thing with her they did with May. She was the one with anxiety and insecurity, but now they're turning Dawn into the same thing.
That's why I like it, though. At first, it seemed like Dawn was destined to be a great Coordinator, what with her mother and confidence and the fact that she's adored Contests all her life. And yet we get to the first Contest and Dawn's a total wreck. Pretty much every scene of Dawn's when she's competing in things has this intense sense of dread.

May, on the other hand, was totally clueless about Pokémon and fell head over heels in love with Contests when she learned about them, couldn't wait to start them, got a bit antsy during her first couple, and then pretty much breezed through them for the rest of her time on the show. She's the kind of easy-going girl who looked at things with a positive outlook and then scored mostly cheap wins right and left. When May got worried, she was like "Oh, I hope I don't do poorly, everyone around me's more experienced". With Dawn, it's "Oh my gosh I'm so worried so I need to say 'no need to worry' but there really is need to worry since I'm going to let down my mother and my Pokémon and my friends and I'm not going to live up to my legacy I'll fail I'll just fail!" Although I'm guessing between this victory, the Wallace Cup, and another win in the future, that may stop.

...that's my interpretation, anyway. I haven't actually seen Hoenn for a while, so I may be totally off the mark.

Pretty much every scene of Dawn's when she's competing in things has this intense sense of dread.

The problem is, Dawn didn't start out this way. If you go back to watch Dawn's very first Contest against Zoey, the whole theme of the character was overconfidence and Dawn knowing exactly what she was doing. Its why when DP first started all people were talking about is how Dawn has an ego or that she is confident in her abilities and so forth. Its why her early appeals were perfect and why Dawn advanced much further in her first contest, she honestly almost beat Zoey too in their first battle.

If you go back and watch the Contest when Dawn beat Kenny and Prinplup, it was the same deal.

Now they're re-treading old ground that we've seen before, this same kind of nervousness and insecurity isn't what Dawn's character is about. If I want to watch a coordinator who is nervous and doubts her abilities, we've seen this before with May. Dawn's character was intended to be the opposite, the one who is overconfident who doesn't have anxiety attacks in every appearance. Seems like the writers lost track of what they intended to do.

I think this is exactly what they intended to do. Have her start out as overconfident, then realize she isn't as good as she thinks, and now have her question herself.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom