• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S12 EP04: Dealing With Defensive Types!

Gliscor's battle was the highlight of the episode, I'm glad it finally got a major victory under its belt.

It's great that the Gym battles are so action packed nowadays, although I think the Maylene one was still my favorite of the region, this Gym was also very good.

I agree on certain accounts. For instance, the battles used to be much more dramatic than they are now. It seems like the gym leaders used to have a more sinister personality. The writers have gotten much more goofy and less creative than they used to be. The flip side, though, is that instead of something dramatic happening, Ash actually fights and honestly wins his badges.

I also completely agree that they seem to be following a pattern of everything leading up to the final pokemon in gym battles. Lately, the first two pokemon battles have been fairly pointless, but then the third one is the most significant.

Finally, the fact that Steelix just all of a sudden died wasn't great.

However, remember that it is a "floating timeline." I think we need to assume that we are not seeing everything. For instance, perhaps Ash trained Gliscor to fly since the last time we saw it try to fly.

It's not like flying well came out of nowhere. It's been doing pretty well the last few times we've seen it flying around.

It's not like flying well came out of nowhere. It's been doing pretty well the last few times we've seen it flying around.

Gliscor was a pretty good choice over Staravia because of who it was up against. Bastiodon is a Rock/Steel type with both a massive defense and a surprisingly high special defense.

Staravia would not be able to leave a scratch on such a beast. It doesn't have that kind of power. Not yet anyway...

Anyway, it's silly to still be butthurt about a Pokémon taking a spot that was supposedly reserved for something else.

Also, you guys should not be surprised at this point if a Pokémon from Gens I, II or III gets knocked out quickly. It's the Gen IV Pokémon that need showcasing the most, therefore they get more screentime.

If you've watched the japanese episode, of course you felt like you watched it before.

I don't watch the raw version, as I have no access to it, and I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it.

That doesn't matter, though, as I'm criticizing the English dub based on what I expect out of the English dub. The Japanese and English versions of the show are two completely different breeds of the same animal, and can't be compared in a way that gives due justice to either of them.

Gliscor vs. Bastiodon:
This battle sure was a front. No, I'm not tempted to say this just because Gliscor was in it as you may possibly think. I'm saying that out of pure objectivism:
Not long ago, Ash's worst catch ever wasn't even capabale of flying properly. And now, all of a sudden, he can do it on command just because it was necessary for the plot...if that isn't terribly cheap and far-fetched :eek:hdear:... (Hello, my dear friend DEM, I missed you so much... ) But, don't worry, the worst is yet to come:
That Gliscor got hit by four massive attacks ( I counted them precisely), one Flash Canon right in its face at the beginning and three powerful(!)Iron Heads, but of course, it could endure all those attacks with ease (there isn't anything impossible for a DEM, is it?) Considering how easily Steelix was KOed by one single Flamewheel (and no, type advantage isn't an appropriate explanation here, as Steelix is also a ground type), that invincible Gliscor was absolutely absurd and beggared description
But we're still not through yet:
The episode reached its low point when my arch-enemy(=Gliscor - for those who should have forgotten it) knocked its opponent off its feet. so far so good. But if you consider that he faced a heavy-weight opponent which resembled a massive block of steel, it'll appear even more ridiculous that an ordinary little tail can cause that terrifying tank to fall... Sorry, but I'm missing the right words to describe how furious I am about this mockery of a battle. It defied all rules of logic and Pokemon physics,it's outrageous!:complain::saiyan:

You know what? I don't care anymore.

I had hopes that you'd acutally like this battle, but I can see you don't give a shit these days. It's become deadly apparent that nothing they do with Gliscor will ever appeal to you. He's developed quite nicely, but no, you still have to be blind in the face and hate his guts no matter what he does.

If you're truly this biased over his capture then you can stay on my ignore list for all eternity. I don't care anymore.

Gliscor won, Bastiodon lost. DEAL WITH IT AND MOVE ON!!!

I'm sorry, but there's just no calm way to say this. It's obvious that you have no desire to give him a fair chance and will continue bashing him until you get what you want. He's never getting Riolu. Give up and move on already.

Chimchar and Buizel and Gliscor oh my. <3 Loved the battle; although honestly I fell asleep for a couple moments there since I stayed awake til 2 or so the night before. Heh.

Gliscor is easily Ash's best Pokémon of DP, if not ever. I've really loved its development from an incompetnet, lovable, overlooked goofball to a badass, lovable, overlooked goofball.

Really dislike how the anime treated Byron. Call me a humorless Negative Nelly (...or something less moronic), but he really got on my nerves. Thank Arceus for DPA, at least.

Having another gym battle so soon was a mistake, but whatever. It was worth watching, at least.

Having another gym battle so soon was a mistake, but whatever. It was worth watching, at least.

I guess they really wanted to make up for the longass gap between the Eterna Gym and the Veilstone Gym. (On the account of wanting to sync up Lucario's debut in the anime with Smash Bros Brawl's release).

A lot of the Frontier Brain battles were only a few eps apart.

Why is having a Gym battle close together a mistake, again? Sounds like a nitpick.

I also more or less agree with PDL.

Last edited:
The ones who expecting too much always don't surprise me, especially the negativity with this episode.

I actually enjoyed this gym battle. I didn't find anything that would be so bad about it. Byron voice started to grow on me, I wasn't too crazy, now its all right. But I really like the strategies from both sides showed. And the way Ash reacted was very interesting. Byron's little poses made me laugh.

And I'm happy about Gliscor. I like how Gilscor shined in this match. Ash using Gilscor's strong points to overcome Basitdon. Nothing there didn't seem unbelievable, and isn't Gliscor a steel type anyways, so some of the attacks wasn't as effective which explains why the battle was so long.

Chimchar did an awesome job as well, I enjoyed its match with Bronzor and Steelix. Ash gets a lucky break from Steelix falling in the hole.

But Buizel, damn it got it *butt* kicked so bad. I was like, someone is not playing.

And Team Rocket made me laugh with the whole fossil Pokemon showdown and singing. I don't care what anyone says, but I found this episode enjoyable to me in my standards.

and isn't Gliscor a steel type anyways, so some of the attacks wasn't as effective which explains why the battle was so long.

Gliscor is Ground/Flying.

Where did you get the Steel type idea from? 0_0

Gliscor is Ground/Flying.

Where did you get the Steel type idea from? 0_0

Really, I thought it was. I don't know my Pokemon types too well XD. Gliscor was one the Pokemon I tend to get confused, but other people told me it was steel, but you could tell I don't pay attnetion to type. But Gliscor colored body kinda made me think of steel like image in my head and also how it wasn't effected with Sand Attack which came to that idea. I didn't know Bastidon was steel til I seen this episode. Sorry,I'm weird like that.

That's alright actually, Even though Gliscor's a ground/flying type, it barely learns any ground or flying moves (Sand Attack, but that's it for level up moves). It's got alot of bug and dark moves though. So it would be easy for someone to be confused as to what type it's supposed to be.

Pretty enjoyable ep. Good battle, some TR humor (I can't remember the last time I heard them break the 4th wall so blatantly), and Byron. Ohh, Byron. You've certainly grown on me ^_^

Chimchar did really well, I'm impressed with it. Knocking out Steelix with one Flame Wheel WAS a little DEM, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it took damage when it fell into the hole created by the Dig attacks (since Dig is a Ground-type move, and would therefore be super effective...I know, games=/=anime, but I'm only trying to justify the point for myself, not for anyone else), so it gets a little more plausible.

Buizel got it's tails WHUPPED. Jeez, I'd forgotten how badly it gets it's ass handed to it in this ep...

Now, for Gliscor. I'm glad it finally got it's time to shine, though I forget when exactly it learned Fire Fang in the first place. It may have been a long battle, but I actually enjoyed that -- it didn't feel rushed (hello, Steelix!), and actually left me in suspense for a while the first time I watched it. A very acceptable battle, and an enjoyable episode.

Oh, and ash_forever? Little tidbit: Gliscor actually has EXTREMELY acceptable defense (in the games, base physical defense is 125). Bastiodon, on the other hand, has CRAPPY attack (again in the games, base 52). It is entirely plausible that Gliscor survive that many hits. Again, I know games =/= anime, so don't even try to give me that argument. I'm just saying that that battle was plausible, so please stop throwing a hissy fit, cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

Chill with ash_forever, everyone. I agree that she's holding her opinion fairly irrationally, but the point is, it's her opinion. You can't make her like the episode if she didn't like it. If she was disappointed, she was disappointed. That's her decision. I'm just sad to hear her weekend was ruined by one 22-minute TV show.

(By the way, Pokémon physics have no rules, and tend not to follow logic in the first place.)

Not long ago, Ash's worst catch ever wasn't even capabale of flying properly. And now, all of a sudden, he can do it on command just because it was necessary for the plot...if that isn't terribly cheap and far-fetched

Lol, lol, and lol. Does not anyone remember the episode Gliscor actually evolved from Gligar from. You know the actual first episode of Ash's Gliscor, the one where it actually was doing well. There was no problem with it's flying. And you expect me to believe anything to the contrary was something more than just "comedic relief" lol.

And Ash Forever, Steelix isn't resistant to fire, ground does not resist, the only type that resists it (with types Byron actually has) is rock and only rock. And it sure as hell didn't lose to one flame wheel to the face, it was also attacked with flamethrower earlier.

And for Buizel, it got screeched, binded, and iron tailed, how is that not plausible? What is screech some distraction move now, and not something that lowers your defense against physical attacks aka Iron Tail and Bind.

And for Gliscor, just leave it the hell alone, you obviously don't give a flying crap so don't even try bothering trying to hate on it. Because it's obvious you can't give an objective opinion on the battle, that's as clear as crystal. And Ash wins a badge and you complain, and yet you call yourself an Ash Fan.

Oh dear god I'm going to hate the Saturday when the dub of the Snowpoint Gym Battle comes out.

Edit: And don't argue that water resists Fire, unless you can tell me what water type Byron has of Bronzor, Steelix and Bastiodon....no nothing, exactly therefore it was not needed for my point.

:lol:

Taking a break from Gliscor's unbelievable performance (I mean, how very dare they?! Right? ;-)) how did TR break the 4th wall? Because I can't be bothered to watch it myself...

I usually don't have much to say for Gym matches, but Gliscor was awesome here, this was its first major battle and it didn't disappoint, it actually beat Byron's strongest Pokemon. And this was Gliscor's debut in a Gym battle.

This scene made Gliscor look badass:
badasse.jpg

You wouldn't believe it was the same clumsy Pokemon it was in the past.

And ash_forever I know you too think the same, you're just trying to hide it.

Byron makes me happy. <3 And I'm sad to see him go. He knows the mystic ways of Shovel-fu, or did only I pick up on that?

Now, since I missed the first fifteen minutes of the episode yesterday, and five today, an accurate scenario would be: plausible, but perhaps lacking.

A lot of Ash's Gym battles always seem to involve problem solving, where an alternate means of attack usually needs devising. There wasn't any of that for this one, so perhaps the lack of anything but bash bam boom is what people aren't seeing.

Buizel getting knocked out first hand? Perfectly acceptable. You never fought a battle where one of yours was knocked out first thing? Never mind he was Screeched.

And has anyone else gotten the impression Gliscor's like an oversized Facehugger from the Alien franchise? XD Also, Fire Fang first appeared in...um...the Piloswine/Mamoswine episode? For two seconds. Ash saw it.

Pearl hint, meh. I think she was just caught up in the moment.

And I'm beginning to suspect I can get a better screen shot of that gym assistant. ;_; Why don't these people come with names anymore? They were doing so well.

You know what? I don't care anymore.

I had hopes that you'd acutally like this battle, but I can see you don't give a shit these days. It's become deadly apparent that nothing they do with Gliscor will ever appeal to you. He's developed quite nicely, but no, you still have to be blind in the face and hate his guts no matter what he does.

If you're truly this biased over his capture then you can stay on my ignore list for all eternity. I don't care anymore.

Gliscor won, Bastiodon lost. DEAL WITH IT AND MOVE ON!!!

I'm sorry, but there's just no calm way to say this. It's obvious that you have no desire to give him a fair chance and will continue bashing him until you get what you want. He's never getting Riolu. Give up and move on already.

Jnoo, I do understand what you mean, but nevertheless I've got to tell you that you're completely mistaken.
You presumably think that I'm still angry about Ash not having been given a Riolu and that I therefore despise Glicor for whatever reason. You'd be right if it were still January or February (the time when the Iron Island episodes first aired in Japan), but I assure you that I've already put up with it for a long time.
Yes, believe it or not, but I have put up with the fact that the writers made their biggest mistake ever...to err is human and the Riolu-mess can't be helped anyways.

Throughout your post you reproached me for not giving Gliscor a fair chance and for sticking to the old notion of Ash getting a Riolu. But as I've just said, I don't care about that any more (hard though it may be...)
What I did instead was giving proper, reasonable examples and analyzing the battle in detail. Thus, I wanted to show that the battle itself was flawed, not because Gliscor was in it(!!), but because objective reasons made me think so. Unfortunately, you didn't bother dealing with my arguments but reproached me for bashing Gliscor intentionally...
Here again my criticism:

Gliscor vs. Bastiodon:
Not long ago, Ash's worst catch ever wasn't even capabale of flying properly. And now, all of a sudden, he can do it on command just because it was necessary for the plot...if that isn't terribly cheap and far-fetched ... (Hello, my dear friend DEM, I missed you so much... ) But, don't worry, the worst is yet to come:
That Gliscor got hit by four massive attacks ( I counted them precisely), one Flash Canon right in its face at the beginning and three powerful(!)Iron Heads, but of course, it could endure all those attacks with ease (there isn't anything impossible for a DEM, is it?) Considering how easily Steelix was KOed by one single Flamewheel (and no, type advantage isn't an appropriate explanation here, as Steelix is also a ground type), that invincible Gliscor was absolutely absurd and beggared description
But we're still not through yet:
The episode reached its low point when my arch-enemy(=Gliscor - for those who should have forgotten it) knocked its opponent off its feet. so far so good. But if you consider that he faced a heavy-weight opponent which resembled a massive block of steel, it'll appear even more ridiculous that an ordinary little tail can cause that terrifying tank to fall... Sorry, but I'm missing the right words to describe how furious I am about this mockery of a battle. It defied all rules of logic and Pokemon physics,it's outrageous!
Ok, the word "arch-enemy" was a bit misleading but all in all, I guess my analysis was quite objective, though.

Besides, my criticism didn't onyl refer to Gliscor's battle but also to the two previous ones. Another piece of evidence that my disappointment was not directed towards Gliscor alone.

Folks, dont' get me wrong. I want you to know that it's by no means my intention to get on your nevers or insult you.
I DO love the Pokemon Anime, but a bad episode always destroys my joy. It's like acid rain which slowly but surely makes the great and magnificent monument of Pokemon weather. This is why I go nuts now and then, as those let me call them "acid rain-episodes" annoy me like hell.
You see, I want to defend my beloved Pokemon, the great work of art, at all costs and this implies justifying or at least trying to justify even irrational scenes.

btw. @Sleet: I'm male ;)

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom