• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S12 EP35: Historical Mystery Tour!

Come to think of it, this interesting question had me ask myself what "present" actually is.
Does the present actually exist?
What we consider as present is always a period of a certain length, for example, one second. However, we can divide a second into 10 tenths. Now let me give you an example: Granted that seven tenths have already passed. The present is still going on, because the second is not over yet. But what's with those seven tenths which have already passed? They consequently have to be considered as past. So, we have present (three tenths yet to go) and past (seven tenths which have already gone by) at the same time which is illogical. Thus, we have to shorten that period which we consider as present. Maybe we then regard one tenths of a second as present. But again, this one tenth of a second can be subdivided into uncountable infinite units. As the whole procedure will go on forever, this will inevitably lead to a "regressus ad infinitum" (regression to the infinite) and suggest that there is no present at all!
Could it really be?
I for one can't find a logical mistake in my thoughts, so could it really be that the present is only a man-made illusion?

Remind me to tell you about Xeno's Paradoxes.

I thought this episode was pretty enjoyable. Weird but enjoyable. Honestly, the whole Natu/Xatu plot didn't make a lick of sense but it was still really fun to watch. The other sub-plot of the ep with James and the guy voiced by Dan Green was equally as good as the "main" sub-plot IMO which is rare to see.

The only complaint I have is that Palmer's entrance was very underwhelming but the rest of the ep makes up for it.

All this reminds me of the day I beat Cynthia on my first try in Platinum. Kind of makes up for being beaten by 3 Frontier Brains in the same game. And when I took forever to beat Palmer in Diamond, and I mean forever.

pfff... How dare you say something like that?
btw. Palmer was pretty easy to beat :p

@DracoMan: Tell me about it. I'm really curious

Jeez, I know it's a holiday and all, but couldn't Cartoon Network still put up on their site? I mean...really? The person/team who does it could probably do it at home.:complain:

@DracoMan: Tell me about it. I'm really curious

Okay...

In one of them, a Man is trying to traverse a certain distance. However, first he must traverse half that distance. Then, to go the remaining distance, he must first go half of that distance. Then half of what's left, then half of that, etc. On paper, he'd never make it, even though in reality, he does.

There's also "Achilles and the Tortoise." Achilles is racing a tortoise, and he gives the reptile 100m head start. He quickly runs the 100m, but by then, the tortoise has moved ahead by a certain distance. So Achilles must now run the additional distance, by which time the tortoise has moved farther ahead. If this keeps going, Achilles can never catch up with the tortoise, but in reality, he blows past the reptile.

In another one, an arrow is shot towards a target. If you took a quick image of the arrow in flight, at any given moment, the arrow will seem to be motionless. However, of course, the arrow is flying very fast.

I'm not sure how relevant that was to our discussion, but it seemed relevant to me.

yeah I know these examples. I just could associate them with the term you used for them.

Well, those cases certainly resemble the problem I posted before concerning the question whether or not the present actually exists.
However, these hypothetical situations only work in theory but not in practice, because you can see with your own eyes (and also measure it) that Achilles will overtake the tortoise sometime. But unlike this example, the present can neither be actively perceived nor measured.
So, jsut like the examples you gave before, my thoughts on the non-existence of the present also works in theory, but unfortunately can't be disproved by reality or in practice ( at least that's what I think)

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom