• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S13 EP30: A Real Rival Rouser!

Mijumaru

Demonic Scraggy
Reaction score
After an extremely long wait during the Holiday Season, the battle between Ash and Paul finally continues!

Last edited by a moderator:
The battle is getting really intense! I'm enjoying it.

9.9 points out of 10

I really like this episode.
But the dub version let me down a little.
Also, until someone digs up the music thread from 3 weeks ago, they were only 4 pieces of music from the Japanese version.

Last edited:
I really like this episode.
But the dub version let me down a little.
Also, until someone digs up the music thread from 3 weeks ago, I only counted 3 pieces of music from the Japanese version.

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=52265

They changed some lines. Like, for instance in the raw, Paul said Aggron and Gastrodon volunteered to go down first. In the dub, Paul said he decided to let them go down first. There's a difference.

I liked how the narrator said, "The heat is on as the battle continues." Foreshadowing of the big explosion of a fight in the next episode?

I also found it weird how Barry called Drapion a "tough cookie". I've heard the phrase, but I thought it was only used to describe women.

many game rules being broken (as usual)

Personally, I think it's for the best. Some game mechanics wouldn't work in an Anime or any TV show or book.

Plus, it makes the battles more smooth.

Many rules are broken in many Pokémon battles. It's whatever gives the trainer the advantage he or she wants.

They changed some lines. Like, for instance in the raw, Paul said Aggron and Gastrodon volunteered to go down first. In the dub, Paul said he decided to let them go down first. There's a difference.

I liked how the narrator said, "The heat is on as the battle continues." Foreshadowing of the big explosion of a fight in the next episode?

So, Paul's 'mons have affection for him and are willing to work with him? Thank you dub, for ruining some nice characterization.

If there's one gripe I have this awesome episode, it'd be how Torterra just kind of stands there after using Synthesis and gets knocked out. But in order for Infernape to take out several of Paul's Pokemon by itself, I guess there was going to be a fall guy. The designated fall guy, appearently.

Last edited:
I really liked the move Infernape came up with in order to eliminate Poison Spikes. It's a shame that we don't have the liberty to do that in the games, though.

As petty as it may sounds, the biggest line change I thought was Ash saying "Nobody's like you, Paul" rather than "You're amazing, Paul."

Meeeehhh....

Loved this episode! The Froslass battle is actually one of my favorites in the league. Yukimenoko's snowcloak ability is really cool, they could have done more with that. And freeze lasted about the same amount as it does in the games :p

I'm glad they finally decided to keep the echo effect on the voices :rolleyes:

As much as I didn't really care for Torterra, I did think that its fall was kinda unfair. He seemed to be holding pretty well against Drapion and that synthesis should have done SOMETHING.

If I had to change the win quota, Torterra would win against Drapion and lost to ninjask, Gliscor would have won against Ninjask and Infernape wouldn't have been brought out.

But, it's not a big deal...I guess they did what they had to to make sure that the Infernape vs. Electavire showdown happened.

I know that some people might think that Flare blitz destroying the toxic spikes was cheap, but I love it when the anime takes artistic liberties like that...it just makes sense XD

I also found it weird how Barry called Drapion a "tough cookie". I've heard the phrase, but I thought it was only used to describe women.

Uh...no, I use the term "tough cookie" for a variety of things XD

Ash and Paul weren't standing directly on the battlefield, they were standing on the sides of it. It makes some sense.

So once again the English dub goes out of its way to make Paul seem like an ass to the end

Great job there TCPi

As petty as it may sounds, the biggest line change I thought was Ash saying "Nobody's like you, Paul" rather than "You're amazing, Paul."

Meeeehhh....

Loved this episode! The Froslass battle is actually one of my favorites in the league. Yukimenoko's snowcloak ability is really cool, they could have done more with that. And freeze lasted about the same amount as it does in the games :p

I'm glad they finally decided to keep the echo effect on the voices :rolleyes:

As much as I didn't really care for Torterra, I did think that its fall was kinda unfair. He seemed to be holding pretty well against Drapion and that synthesis should have done SOMETHING.

If I had to change the win quota, Torterra would win against Drapion and lost to ninjask, Gliscor would have won against Ninjask and Infernape wouldn't have been brought out.

But, it's not a big deal...I guess they did what they had to to make sure that the Infernape vs. Electavire showdown happened.

I know that some people might think that Flare blitz destroying the toxic spikes was cheap, but I love it when the anime takes artistic liberties like that...it just makes sense XD

Uh...no, I use the term "tough cookie" for a variety of things XD

Thanks for the spoiler now I know which two pokes r gonna make it to the finals. :sweat:

Good point. As much I don't really like the Ash and Paul ship, this line of dialogue I will allow :mallet:

I love these splits from the games too, just as long as I don't have to suspend disbelief too much.

But Paul waiting until after Torterra healed to defeat it did throw me off a little.

One of the things that annoyed me was that Buizel was the first on Ash's side to get knocked out... again. It's been getting knocked out for ages and has barely won any battles since Crasher Wake.

It's as if Buizel's consective wins over Pikachu, Piplup, and Zoey's Glameow never happened.

It's like a lesser version of the trope Redemption Demotion.

Anyway, did any one notice the Japanese music and the voices being on a different volume. It doesn't seem as bad as DP185, but I thought it happened again. For example, during the Ninjask/Gliscor battle, when "Flygon Appears" from Movie 6 was playing, I didn't even know it had started playing for 10 seconds or something. Maybe it's just me...

Also, Reggie had been spoiling everything for the viewers. Paul didn't reveal his strategy until this episode, though in the last episode, Reggie stated his strategy like he was going to show it to Ash immediately.

It's as if Buizel's consective wins over Pikachu, Piplup, and Zoey's Glameow never happened.

Paul's Drapion in itself is a powerful opponent with a lot of defense. Not only was Drapion able to deflect Buizel's Sonicboom with the flick of its tail, but it also effortlessly grabbed on to Buizel at the end of the previous episode. Judging by Paul's statements in this episode, his main strategy in this battle involved the use of his Drapion. We can assume that Paul specifically trained Drapion for this purpose.

Most of Buizel's attacks were ineffective against Drapion anyway. By all means it does not mean Buizel is weak; it is simply "incompatible" with the opponent it was currently battling against.

Think about it: Paul kept Drapion for battles against Ash's Staraptor, Torterra, and Buizel. He knew what Ash was planning on doing with each of these pokemon. However, when Paul knew Ash was sending out Gliscor, Paul returned Drapion in suit for a faster pokemon (Ninjask).

We can assume that Drapion is a powerhouse to begin with. It was able to take a lot of hits without going down.

Again, Paul's decisions in this battle were a part of his strategy. He allowed Gastrodon and Aggron to evaluate Ash's pokemon and how they react in battle, then goes in with Drapion for the kill when it is necessary.

Also remember that Buizel defeated Paul's Gastrodon so it wasn't like it received the "fall guy" treatment in this battle.

Maybe if Buizel was paired up against the likes of Froslass (who took her time in wittling Pikachu's health down) or Ninjask (who uses a combination of speed and power), the results might have turned to Ash's favor.

The themes of this battle are compatibility and strategy. Certain pokemon triumphed over others because their battle styles were superior of the other. This was why Gliscor had a difficult time battling a faster opponent (Ninjask) yet it easily defeated a bulky opponent like Drapion.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom