• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP10: A Rival Battle for Club Champ!

Not a bad ep. I liked when Iris called Trip a kid :p Not a bad battle either, but cursed body activating twice was pretty lame unfair.

Not a bad ep. I liked when Iris called Trip a kid :p Not a bad battle either, but cursed body activating twice was pretty lame unfair.

I totally agree. Cursed Body only has a chance of activating in the game. For me, my Jellicent would only get Cursed Body maybe 1/5 hits. But Trip did have to win this battle anyway.

I kinda didn't like how Trip kept on saying that his Servine was stronger because he evolved it. I think he must have said it at least twice, but that comment made him sound like a kid since in the Anime Evolution doesn't equal strength in most cases.

Other than that this episode was really enjoyable to watch and it has become one of my most favorite episodes of BW!

This was a pretty decent episode. Servine and Snivy were tight. But why did a beastly Pokemon like Servine have to have a hillbilly voice?

Iris was pretty annoying today. I didn't really hear Iris call Trip a kid because it was really noisy because my family was eating breakfast.

Also, why didn't Ash just use Pidove against Servine, but Snivy using Attract made up for it.

Why yes, I enjoyed this episode. I was just tickled by the fact that Servine enjoyed that Vine Whip spankfest.

I knew Frillish would be one of my new favorite Pokémon. Watching it battle like that made my day.

This was the episode where I grew fond of Frillish. The one thing I loved about the battle was the smart strategy Trip used. Increasing Attack and Spped of Tranquill and Frillish's Water Pulse and Hex combo was great. Trip is quite smart.

Iris' voice is really getting on my nerves. It's so high pitched!

I like Trip though, I don't like him as much as Paul, but I like his voice and the fact he sounds like Barry and Paul merged.
I wonder why Ash didn't tell Dento about meeting Zekrom. What does he talk about?

I doubt they know about him traveling through many regions before or that he actually has pokemon before either. I guess they don't want to mention anything from the past for now.

edit: It's times like this when I realise it sucks that Pikachu forgot volt tackle. It was a great physical electric move, and it was definitely a finisher. Now he has a long range special attack, it won't have the same effect. I also feel in BW the battles go so much quicker, which sucks. I agree with Trip here, though, Ash kinda fails now.

Last edited:
Oh Iris, "whatakidwhatakidwhatakidwhatakidwhatakid". I'm so gald it was toned down later. Dear god. Don't see why the writers felt the need to use it so much. She's used it almost 20 times in 10 episodes.

Anyway, boring rivalry is boring. It's just another one of the many one-sided rivalries we've had in the show, like with Drew, Zoey, Paul, and now Trip. However, Paul was actually a good rival as was Drew.

Also, I still don't see the point of Battle Clubs.

The point of battle clubs are to battle specific trainers with specific Pokemon.

For example if Ash was in the system, just hypothetically speaking (not that I would approve this), but they can challenge Ash because he has Pikachu. This is a lot more organized than just finding some random trainer, that just happens to be there at the right time for a Pokemon battle. I mean take this episode for example. If Ash didn't go to the battle club, find Trip, what are the odds he would've run into him? At least now it makes some sense rather than just because.

Of course you also have to take in account just because a trainer wants to battle Pikachu, doesn't mean Ash will approve it, but I don't he'd refuse.

Plus I have a feeling up to the league, all battles between Trip and Ash will be Battle Club battles. Maybe other battles as well.

Servine is such a masochist.

He also sounds exactly like Robbie Rist! I sure as heck didn't see that one coming.

Trip's Servine is awesome. It took down Pikachu for the second time, and then when it couldn't win it lost in the coolest way imaginable.

This was the episode where I grew fond of Frillish. The one thing I loved about the battle was the smart strategy Trip used. Increasing Attack and Spped of Tranquill and Frillish's Water Pulse and Hex combo was great. Trip is quite smart.

This is why all of Ash's rivals were a head above him. Strategy. Gary used strategy, Tyson used strategy, and Paul used strategy. It does not have as much to do with overall experience.

Ash simply uses any pokemon that he might want to catch and/or wants to be trained by him. Ash did not arm Snivy with her Attract; Snivy already had that attack long before she was captured. Unless he is pressured to by others or is required to, Ash usually does not train his team up.

The only member of his current team that Ash genuinely trained was Pikachu, and even that is stretching it.

In Ash's defense, however, luck was not on his side. The anime truly distorted the Snivy and Frillish battle, even to the point of being an impossibility in the games. Frillish managed to seal two of Snivy's attacks as a result of Cursed Body, inferring that any physical attack is immediately sealed by this ability if it makes contact with the pokemon. At a point where two of Snivy's moves were already sealed, Frillish also manages to confuse Snivy with Water Pulse. Finally, the writers made it clear that Frillish's Hex would be twice as powerful if the target pokemon was confused (this isn't the case in the games).

With just one pokemon, Trip was able to completely override Snivy's battle style. Snivy is considered to be Ash's most powerful Unova pokemon, too.

I don't blame Trip for telling Ash to go back to the basics; Ash has proven in this fight that he would disregard strategy and luck just by battling head-on. The writers tried to arm Ash with some useful strategies in AG (the Brawly gym battle) and DP (Ash innovating Counter Shield). However, it seems that Ash is going back to the days when he is attacking everyone and everything head-on. The only hint of strategy Ash used in this fight was Snivy's Attract, and even that success was based on luck. Trip's Frillish dodged the attack the second time it would be used.

Of course, Frillish (and its evolution) are the only Unova pokemon who would have been able to pull off this strategy. I am glad that Frillish was made into a Water/Ghost type. Now it had access to the powerful Ghost-type attacks and abilities like Cursed Body that screwed Snivy over.

Last edited:
Ash only won against Trip's Servine because of Snivy's Attract and luck. Ash was clueless against many of Trip's abilities and attacks, not knowing that Snivy attacking Frillish head-on might activate his Cursed Body ability.
I agree with all of your post except this. Ash sent out a weaker Pokemon and used a powerful strategy to beat them. It had nothing to do with luck or being cheap. Also, how is Ash supposed to know the abilities or moves of Pokemon he has never seen before?

EDIT: Forgot to put my review. Not really much I can say that hasn't already been said, but basically it was another great episode. :)

Last edited:
Although I think it was pretty cheap, Ash should have thought ahead and guessed that if cursed body disabled vine whip, it would disable leaf blade
Posted via Mobile Device

I can't believe I slept through this episode and can't find it anywhere on the web! I hate not having it automatically recorded anymore!:bawl:

Although I think it was pretty cheap, Ash should have thought ahead and guessed that if cursed body disabled vine whip, it would disable leaf blade
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't know if they stated this in the dub or not, but Satoshi was hoping to knock out Pururilu with that Leaf Blade, so it being disabled by Cursed Body wouldn't be an issue.

I think it was implied, but Trip still had 3 other pokemon left and leaf blade is one of snivy's best attacks
Posted via Mobile Device

Ash: I'm not upset.

OK, guys I'll really have to pull myself together, otherwise I would go crazy after this TERRIBLE episode. Let me just quote one line that sums up the whole ep perfectly:
Trip: Your Pokemon are a joke and so is their trainer.
Thanks so much Trip, I couldn't have said it better myself. You know what? I'm not upset,no, I'm outraged. I could have gone out tonight. Instead, I stayed at home and waited for an ep that turned out to feature a battle that was by far the worst I've ever seen!
I used to love Pokemon more than anything else but this is not my Pokemon anymore, this is just crap! Plain and simple. Although I'll stay loyal to the show I've been watching for 13 years now, I've got to admit that since Black and White started, every episode has been terribly painful to watch.
This so-called episode, however, was the new low point and I have absolutely no words to describe what a mess it was! Unova Ash must be the most awkward, incompetent and pathetic trainer I've ever seen. I mean, that silly bigmouth just rushes in, doesn't waste much thought on strategy and with his annoying happy-go-lucky behavior loses to a trainer who has just started his journey.
It hurts, it hurts so much...Although having already traveled through 5 regions and thus having tons of experience, Ash ACTUALLY lost to a guy who can only have a fraction of his own experience.
And you know what's even more embarrassing? I guess, some guys here will say "Wait, Ash still has to train harder". No, that would be just a lame excuse. In fact, he's become completely incompetent. Trip proved that it's actually possible to do some serious(!) training before your very first gym battle. And what did Ash do? What did that little kid do??? He wasn't even able to train his Pokemon properly, let alone evolve them. Oh my, this is so embarrassing, I'm speechless.
Yes, from now on I'll officially hate Ash! I'm sick and tired of that pathetic little kid and his pointless remarks that he'll train harder when he'll just end up losing again and again.
No, this is not the typical character reset, this is a complete new and awfully weak Ash. It's not the old Ash from the glorious Sinnoh days and above all, it's not the same Ash about who the wonderful Queen of Pokemon, Cynthia, said that he'll enter the the Champion League soon. This Ash is an insult to Cynthia and her words, soemthing which can't be forgiven.

A complete waste of time and the worst episode ever.

edit: It's times like this when I realise it sucks that Pikachu forgot volt tackle. It was a great physical electric move, and it was definitely a finisher. Now he has a long range special attack, it won't have the same effect. I also feel in BW the battles go so much quicker, which sucks. I agree with Trip here, though, Ash kinda fails now.

Oh Pikachu will forget his strongest move? Tell me why I'm not surprisedIt just proves that everything is going downhill.

Last edited:
This is why all of Ash's rivals were a head above him. Strategy. Gary used strategy, Tyson used strategy, and Paul used strategy. It does not have as much to do with overall experience.

Tyson barely beat him. The both used stragety. Gary beat him with Eevee with no strategy really. With Electivire he just used protect like everyone else.

I don't blame Trip for telling Ash to go back to the basics; Ash has proven in this fight that he would disregard strategy and luck just by battling head-on. The writers tried to arm Ash with some useful strategies in AG (the Brawly gym battle) and DP (Ash innovating Counter Shield). However, it seems that Ash is going back to the days when he is attacking everyone and everything head-on. The only hint of strategy Ash used in this fight was Snivy's Attract, and even that success was based on luck. Trip's Frillish dodged the attack the second time it would be used.

You mean the writers are making Ash dumb again right? The would explain why he doesn't use old strategies and such. I guess they really don't expect us to stil be watching this show. That's really the only explanation.

It's really pretty annoying, but this is how all rivalries are handled.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom