• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S21 EP12: The Professors' New Adventure!

This episode was so cute! I thought it was a perfect way to celebrate the 1,000th episode of the series.

The classmates are just so precious. It was so sweet to see them wanting to plan a surprise wedding for their teacher! I absolutely love the bonds and relationships this group of characters has. It all feels really fresh, and it's heartwarming at the same time. Principal Oak and Olivia's excitement over the wedding was great, as well as the inclusion of Nina making the Alolan pancakes. It's awesome to see what one would normally assume are CoTDs showing up time and time again!

I loved that they actually showed a wedding in the show. That was honestly something I never thought we'd see, even though its been used as a visual gag a few times. It was really fun! I was just confused Ash seemed really into it and knew as much about a wedding as he did, though, considering he's usually shown as being extremely naïve about anything related to romance. It was super sweet, and refreshing, just took me off guard!

The Ultra Guardian stuff starts here, and it's got an interesting premise, but honestly I don't care much about that in this kind of episode. It kind of detracted from the super sweet, super fun mood to me. Like I know it probably shouldn't have, but the Solgaleo stuff started getting on my nerves. I wanted to see more of the wedding/human character relationships in this episode! Also, Gladion's appearance on the beach felt super random and forced. I feel like that could've been fleshed out a bit more and made more sense in a separate episode.

I really liked this episode, well, 99% of it anyway, but I'll get to that. The fact that this happened was amazing, and the proposal was also a great touch.

Though on a brief side note, when you guys says this is the 1,000th episode ignoring the banned episodes, do you mean episodes banned in the United States, and general U.S. count, or what? Just curious.

I loved how Ash and the others made their own ceremony, and hey, we discovered that Kukui CAN actually wear a shirt, and button it too. You know I almost thought for a while that he was like the main character in Laser Blast, if anyone knows MST3K. XD

There was so much intentional humor in the show itself, and unintentional humor you could throw in. Like the fact that Principal Oak apparently has a license to marry people. Who knew?

On the less than good elements, there was the stuff with Faba and the Ultra Guardians. You know, I thought that one of the only plot options they had was to end the series on an Ultra Beast invasion, and it looks like that will be the case. But seriously, Faba is just forgiven JUST like that, and he's remorseful and eager? And Lusamine just FORGIVES him like that despite him hurting Lillie and everything? What's wrong with letting him be ARRESTED?!

I know people can be remorseful and forgiving, but that's a dumb 180 to just rush along an already rushed plot.

Honestly, I was confused when he first showed up, and before he talked, I just came up with this hilarious mental image in my head;.

Faba: There's a wedding going on? Can I come?
Lusamine: No. You're in jail.
Faba: Please?
Lusamine: No! You're evil! You traumatized my daughter!
Faba: Sure, I'm evil. But I love weddings!

And then I imagined that he had an ankle monitor on under his pants leg and that's why Jenny was there. And on another note, there was Lillie going back to her regular outfit rather than her sporty look (I refuse to call it Z-powered because that makes zero sense). I thought it was a symbol of character growth but there it goes...

Back to a lighter note, I also couldn't help but notice the little clue in the title card. "Professors' " adventure. s', as in plural, so not just Kukui. And I also found it funny that despite the fact that they were able to find a tux and a dress that FIT both professors' measurements behind their backs, nobody bothered to wear anything better. I know, easier to animate, but you can't help but laugh a little.

Still, a wonderful episode 9/10.

Oh God that book. Those reused scenes in her bedroom. NOOO I THOUGHT WERE WERE DONE WITH PREVIOUSLY ON YUGIOH.

Maybe if you clled him Nebby again he'd let you say goodbye. As for what he's doing, now that the world is safe, he's probably teleporting the Tapu's everywhere like he did to Ash and friends.

Shame original Lille's design is back. I prefer the OG game Lille anyway. This one is more like the Ultra version.

No need to help. That's what friends are for. Now I hope they all help when Ash's Mum biomerges with her Mr Mime, just like what happened with Lusamine.

I guess that counts as flirting lol. I guess if I tried, I'd get kicked in the Shinsuke.

"What am I thinking now?" - "My feet are wet, damn ocean".

See, I was already spoiled about this engagement stuff. I just don't like how it comes out of nowhere. They never seemed like a couple ever in the show. I know you can say "off screen stuff over years" but there was no hint, they don't live together etc and doing it in a TV show, it should come with years of build up. ...so one of the final episodes of gen 7, after introducing them at the start of gen 7. Too random. Also, Ash knows what marriage is? he's supposed to be oblivious about romance!

Calculating. 69%.

If I was there, I'd be a Champion not telling secreter. I'm like the most deadpan person ever. No one ever knows I'm im feeling. ...it's not usually a good thing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, if Kukui and Burnet don't want to have a wedding... then the kids should respect that. This is out of order IMO. They're also telling people without the permission of them. Surely that's down to Kukui, not Ash. Now if it were just a random party, that's fine but these kids are planning an entire wedding and I guess that means picking the date too. Since when is that a thing lol, your ten year old students pick your wedding date and plan your wedding. Also, the people of Alola sure do like giving things away for free I guess lol. Unless Ash and friends have like 20 grand to do this. I mean, I know it'll end with Kukui and Burnett happy cuz Pokemon but this isn't a realistic message to send out. Respect their wishes for a private ceremony. Don't force them to do it public, with you choosing the date, it wont end well.

They're doing it for the next day lol? they just put a wedding planner out of a job :(

Random Gladian!? "I'm leaving on a journey now". ...at least do it after the wedding lol. I mean sure it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short notice and the actual people are unaware of it but still. At least Gladian could be a good future rival now. He'll prob win the Alola league cuz Ash isn't allow to lol.

Poor Kukui having to sleep on the couch. That really should be Ash on there.

ROWLETT YOURE NEVER AWAKE?! ...sounds like me.

Good job this is an anime, so Kukui is fine with it lol. Seems unlikely you could set all this up. For free. In a day.

A Pokemon counts as a witness? but it can't say it happened lol. "Did they get married?" "MUNCHLAX!" "Oh, I guess they did".

"we're here to announce Professor Kukui and Burnett" ...I guess it's canon that their either don't have first names... or Professor is a first name in Pokemon and they share the same name. Come on Pokemon, at least give them random last names lol. ...or first? I'm assuming Burnett and Kukui are surnames cuz if not, they call their teacher by their first name in school lol, yet still say "principle Oak". hmmmmm, I'm gonna make up names for them. Reginald Kukui and Rio Burnett. That'll do.

Also where did that dress come from lol? they get that free or did Burnett have it just in case Kukui asked her one day? ...I;m still thinking about what their first names are because now it's clearly not Kukui, as that makes no sense with the other professors, such as the Junipers. Dammit Pokemon, what is Kukui's first name?! this darn wedding triggering me in more than one way. Kinda funny that Samson doesn't know their first names. What does he write on his cheques?

James and Mariene marriage. Now THAT'S a wedding I can get behind.

Are Kukui's parents here lol? also, the kids sure aren't dressed for a wedding.

...KISS?! this is Pokemon, you can only do that off screen!

Munchlax x Samson. I ship that too. and damn, the kiss was off screen after all.

Letting Faba back in lol. Just wait till he teams up with Giovanni and ends the world.

DAMMIT I've been pronouncing Nihilego wrong.

This Ultra Guardian stuff should've been in a different episode lol. This is supposed to be for a wedding that was thrown together in less than 12 hours. Now good luck beating up those 570 base stat Pokemon with your first stages.

Olivia to get married lol. Don't the games say she's the most single person of all time?

Nebby can fly. Neat. Nice of him to turn up to the wedding. I guess someone told him on the grapevine.

That Poipole tease.

I shit posted a lot here but I just don't think the kids did the right thing. ...also, tacking on the random UG stuff cuz lol I guess. That was way too rushed. It wasn't a realistic relationship in this form. I guess you could say they were hiding it from the kids but when do they go on dates lol. 4am?

Oh God that book. Those reused scenes in her bedroom. NOOO I THOUGHT WERE WERE DONE WITH PREVIOUSLY ON YUGIOH.

Maybe if you clled him Nebby again he'd let you say goodbye. As for what he's doing, now that the world is safe, he's probably teleporting the Tapu's everywhere like he did to Ash and friends.

Shame original Lille's design is back. I prefer the OG game Lille anyway. This one is more like the Ultra version.

No need to help. That's what friends are for. Now I hope they all help when Ash's Mum biomerges with her Mr Mime, just like what happened with Lusamine.

I guess that counts as flirting lol. I guess if I tried, I'd get kicked in the Shinsuke.

"What am I thinking now?" - "My feet are wet, damn ocean".

See, I was already spoiled about this engagement stuff. I just don't like how it comes out of nowhere. They never seemed like a couple ever in the show. I know you can say "off screen stuff over years" but there was no hint, they don't live together etc and doing it in a TV show, it should come with years of build up. ...so one of the final episodes of gen 7, after introducing them at the start of gen 7. Too random. Also, Ash knows what marriage is? he's supposed to be oblivious about romance!

Calculating. 69%.

If I was there, I'd be a Champion not telling secreter. I'm like the most deadpan person ever. No one ever knows I'm im feeling. ...it's not usually a good thing.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, if Kukui and Burnet don't want to have a wedding... then the kids should respect that. This is out of order IMO. They're also telling people without the permission of them. Surely that's down to Kukui, not Ash. Now if it were just a random party, that's fine but these kids are planning an entire wedding and I guess that means picking the date too. Since when is that a thing lol, your ten year old students pick your wedding date and plan your wedding. Also, the people of Alola sure do like giving things away for free I guess lol. Unless Ash and friends have like 20 grand to do this. I mean, I know it'll end with Kukui and Burnett happy cuz Pokemon but this isn't a realistic message to send out. Respect their wishes for a private ceremony. Don't force them to do it public, with you choosing the date, it wont end well.

They're doing it for the next day lol? they just put a wedding planner out of a job :(

Random Gladian!? "I'm leaving on a journey now". ...at least do it after the wedding lol. I mean sure it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short notice and the actual people are unaware of it but still. At least Gladian could be a good future rival now. He'll prob win the Alola league cuz Ash isn't allow to lol.

Poor Kukui having to sleep on the couch. That really should be Ash on there.

ROWLETT YOURE NEVER AWAKE?! ...sounds like me.

Good job this is an anime, so Kukui is fine with it lol. Seems unlikely you could set all this up. For free. In a day.

A Pokemon counts as a witness? but it can't say it happened lol. "Did they get married?" "MUNCHLAX!" "Oh, I guess they did".

"we're here to announce Professor Kukui and Burnett" ...I guess it's canon that their either don't have first names... or Professor is a first name in Pokemon and they share the same name. Come on Pokemon, at least give them random last names lol. ...or first? I'm assuming Burnett and Kukui are surnames cuz if not, they call their teacher by their first name in school lol, yet still say "principle Oak". hmmmmm, I'm gonna make up names for them. Reginald Kukui and Rio Burnett. That'll do.

Also where did that dress come from lol? they get that free or did Burnett have it just in case Kukui asked her one day? ...I;m still thinking about what their first names are because now it's clearly not Kukui, as that makes no sense with the other professors, such as the Junipers. Dammit Pokemon, what is Kukui's first name?! this darn wedding triggering me in more than one way. Kinda funny that Samson doesn't know their first names. What does he write on his cheques?

James and Mariene marriage. Now THAT'S a wedding I can get behind.

Are Kukui's parents here lol? also, the kids sure aren't dressed for a wedding.

...KISS?! this is Pokemon, you can only do that off screen!

Munchlax x Samson. I ship that too. and damn, the kiss was off screen after all.

Letting Faba back in lol. Just wait till he teams up with Giovanni and ends the world.

DAMMIT I've been pronouncing Nihilego wrong.

This Ultra Guardian stuff should've been in a different episode lol. This is supposed to be for a wedding that was thrown together in less than 12 hours. Now good luck beating up those 570 base stat Pokemon with your first stages.

Olivia to get married lol. Don't the games say she's the most single person of all time?

Nebby can fly. Neat. Nice of him to turn up to the wedding. I guess someone told him on the grapevine.

That Poipole tease.

I shit posted a lot here but I just don't think the kids did the right thing. ...also, tacking on the random UG stuff cuz lol I guess. That was way too rushed. It wasn't a realistic relationship in this form. I guess you could say they were hiding it from the kids but when do they go on dates lol. 4am?
Your thoughts when you're watching the episode are literally the best thing ever haha :ROFLMAO:

Ah, this is more like it. Now we're back to doing what SM actually does best: a simple but effective feel-good slice of life story. I actively look forward to episodes like these because I know they'll deliver.

Professor Kukui is like that perfect middle ground between smooth and awkward. Totally get what Burnet sees in him, even as a straight dude. The girls squeeing over the wedding was great, and Ash's reaction was a pleasant surprise considering his attitude on romance is...inconsistent at best.

The only thing that I didn't like about this episode was Gladion and Lusamine's parts. And Solgaleo and Faba's too, but I see why they needed closure. The others just felt like they took away from an otherwise perfectly-paced episode and could have been saved for the next one.
Okay, there was absolutely no reason for them to take out the Wedding March. It's public domain, and in-line with the subject matter.
They didn't, though? I clearly remember hearing a tropical-style arrangement of it.

This episode was nice overall. It was cute seeing everyone, especially Ash, getting excited for the wedding. I also very much liked the part where Kiawe mentioned the Akala wedding traditions and wasn't aware that they didn't happen on the other islands. Only makes me wish the gang was actively traveling, but that's neither here nor there.

I also liked how they tied in some plot relevant stuff with Lusamine, Wicke, and Faba basically recruiting the kids to help with the Ultra Beast situation. That said, I was kind of annoyed when Gladion mentioned how he was going to keep going on his Island Challenge to defeat all of the Island Kahunas because it only reminded me how the Island Challenge has had NO focus for so damn long.

And I guess it was nice that the gang got to see Nebby one last time. Nice episode overall. 9/10.

That said, I was kind of annoyed when Gladion mentioned how he was going to keep going on his Island Challenge to defeat all of the Island Kahunas
And then he disappeared from the show altogether... I guess he doesn't care about his sister and mother that much.

Most likely explanation is that OLM is just sending the version they edited for TPCi to other dubbing companies too.
From what I've heard the studios around the world use the Japanese version as a base for their respective dubs and once the English version has aired they slap that version over the Japanese one with no second thought.

@martianmister obviously not, there's probably laws that go into play. The green beer edit was also made by OLM, and it aired in Thailand (who's dub is made by Pokemon Asia and not TPCi)
Nah I think TPCi is just tired of having oversensitive parents knock on their door for every silly little thing so they just edit the things to prevent any drama from happening.

Wow, an episode featuring marriage. SM never fails to amaze me. :X3:

Aww... Ash missing Nebby was so cute, and so sad! I felt like crying. :cry::love:

Professor Kukui proposes to Burnet. AND she accepts... That's amazing! :love::love:

Lillie, Mallow and Lana fangirling over Kukui and Burnet's marriage had me dying there. Poor girls... their reaction upon learning of the absence of a wedding ceremony was hilarious as well. :LOL: Still, I loved how Ash and the others decided to make their own ceremony for their Professor.

Gladion being Gladion though...

Hey, where'd Kukui's suit come from?! o_O:eek:

The group's reaction after learning of Kukui's Braviary was just priceless. :LOL:

Mareanie's fantasies tho! :p

That's one gala party. Also, I guess Samson and Munchlax are into each other(?) o_O:p

Ultra Guardians? Guess that means more UB's in future episodes. SO COOL!!! (y):X3:

Olivia next to get married LOL!

It's Nebby. Yup, it'll definitely be missed. :(

A POIPOLE TEASE?!?! :eek::X3:

This episode was nice overall. It was cute seeing everyone, especially Ash, getting excited for the wedding. 9.5/10.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom