• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

S23: Pokemon Journeys: The Series Episode Dub Title Thread (and Reflections)

I felt the same way initially, but honestly, I don't mind it so much now. I was pretty anti-streaming for a while, but the pandemic managed to get me more into it because I was always looking for something to watch when I didn't have any sports or new episodes of shows I usually watch on cable to look forward to. It's actually getting to the point where I need to start thinking about whether or not I'll actually get cable for myself or just stick to streaming entirely in the future, even though the oversaturation of streaming services does irritate me.
FWIW, I'm not anti-streaming service, just anti-Netflix because of their sordid past that makes me unwilling to give them any of my money.

I think HBO Max is an option that is worth looking at. Warner Bros have a history with the Pokemon Company and the streaming service has become a huge hit after they diverted their movies onto the service. It's also a platform that is screaming for children's content, and they have gone out of their way to secure Ghibli films, so anime programs are definately up for grabs for them. I think having every season of Pokemon + all the movies would be beneficial for both parties. I know that Netflix is huge, but I personally see Disney Plus and HBO Max being the two biggest streaming platforms within the next 10 years.

I suppose that is possible, but if Warner Bros wanted to keep Pokemon around, they probably would have either kept distributing the movies or made sure that Cartoon Network kept airing the series instead. It would still potentially help make their new streaming service stand out and I agree that both Disney+ and HBO Max will become pretty huge over time, but I'm just not sure how likely it is for them to be interested in getting Pokemon again if Netflix doesn't keep it around.

Johtoo said:
Personally, I don't care where it goes, just as long as the quality improves. Speaking about that: I wonder if its possible for a streaming service to demand TCPI keep the original japanese music intact? Kids WB used to force 4kids to remove all japanese language from the show, so I guess it is plausible.

As nice as it would be for the dub to keep the original music, I seriously doubt that a streaming service could demand anything like that from TPCI. A block on broadcast TV would have different standards and practices than a streaming site. Although, even that notion that Kids' WB forced 4Kids to remove Japanese language is kind of hard to believe considering how incredibly inconsistent 4Kids was with a lot of their edits. Sometimes Japanese language was removed, sometimes it was translated and they'd often remove English text too. Rice balls could be called sandwiches in one episode, then called rice balls a couple of episodes later and then they'd paint over the rice balls to make them look like sandwiches a season later. It's hard for me to believe that all of that could be due to standards and practices from Kids' WB.

Besides all that, I'm not sure if any streaming platform would really care about the Japanese music being kept in. Their main focus would just be to get new episodes to hopefully attract more attention and get more people to sign up to their platform.

Wow, so Season 23 is already ending. Man, time flies fast, it feels just like yesterday when the Dub for PM2019 was announced. I think they've done a decent job with this one, though they could improve, it hasn't felt as jarring as SM's first season (dubbed).

FWIW, I'm not anti-streaming service, just anti-Netflix because of their sordid past that makes me unwilling to give them any of my money.

That's fair. FWIW, they do also have some of Journeys on Pokémon TV. Only the first 6 episodes right now, but at least it's a free app!

I know that Netflix is huge, but I personally see Disney Plus and HBO Max being the two biggest streaming platforms within the next 10 years.

This is an interesting take! I also don't really disagree. Netflix has lost out on a lot of big properties because of other networks launching their own streaming services (The Office and Friends are two big examples) while Disney+ and HBO Max have never had to rely on any titles outside of their own catalogs (plus, I personally have a much more vested interest in original Disney+ shows than any original Netflix series.)

But that's another reason that I don't think Netflix will let go of Pokémon any time soon. It's one of the biggest franchises in the world, and Netflix has also seemed eager to increase their anime offerings (I believe they're going to be the ones to distribute the dubbed version of the new Sailor Moon films, for example). Pokémon was a pretty big pick up for them, especially with the back catalog it already has, so I don't think they'll relinquish it to another streaming service so easily.

French dub titles, should be pretty close to their English ones but not final

37: Joyeuses retrouvailles sous le soleil d'Alola ! (Happy Reunion Under the Alolan Sun!)
38: Restaurer et ranimer ! (Restore and Revive!)
39: Octo-emprise dans l'Arène ! (Octo-locking the Arena!)
40: Un Combat de Raid électrisant ! (An Electrifying Raid Battle!)

37/38 airs on the 13th, 39/40 airs on the 14th on Canal J

Hidden Mew said:
I'm not sure if Netflix releases episodes of any series weekly on their platform. Even most other streaming sites do the same kind of release method. It might not be ideal for something like Pokemon, but it is more expected from streaming sites.

There have been a few weekly releases; The Great British Baking Show and talk shows like Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj being notable examples. Certain licensed titles are released weekly as well, with Better Call Saul being the one that sticks out the most. It's rare, but there is precedent.

Other streaming services -- Disney+, Hulu, etc -- release the majority of their shows weekly.

There is absolutely no reason they couldn't stream new Pokémon episodes on a weekly basis.

Having official subs to go with the dub would be pretty neat though.

No, not "pretty neat." The show's original language is not some nice little treat that would be nice to have. It is the absolute bare minimum, and the fact that TPCi/Netflix can't even meet that is inexcusable.

Johtoo said:
I wonder if its possible for a streaming service to demand TCPI keep the original japanese music intact? Kids WB used to force 4kids to remove all japanese language from the show, so I guess it is plausible.

4Kids was removing Japanese writing from the show long before the show moved to Kids' WB! The network had nothing to do with the decision.

There have been a few weekly releases; The Great British Baking Show and talk shows like Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj being notable examples. Certain licensed titles are released weekly as well, with Better Call Saul being the one that sticks out the most. It's rare, but there is precedent.

Other streaming services -- Disney+, Hulu, etc -- release the majority of their shows weekly.

There is absolutely no reason they couldn't stream new Pokémon episodes on a weekly basis.

I could have sworn that Hulu also releases the majority of the shows with the seasonal format, but I could be mixing that up with just some of their original shows instead. Disney+ is the only streaming service that I've heard of that does the weekly release format instead and even then, I heard some complaints about them doing that from other people. While it would be nice for Pokemon to be released weekly, I just don't think it would help the dub get that much more attention. That release method didn't result in a lot of people reacting to major events in XY or SM when the dub got to certain points either and at least XY was still on a widely common TV network at the time. I still wouldn't mind a weekly release on Netflix, if only so that it could feel more like watching new episodes on Saturday mornings again, but I wouldn't be surprised if they kept to the same release method, especially if it has been doing well for Netflix.

Dogasu said:
No, not "pretty neat." The show's original language is not some nice little treat that would be nice to have. It is the absolute bare minimum, and the fact that TPCi/Netflix can't even meet that is inexcusable.

I said that it would be neat not because it's an extra little treat, but because I agree with you. I do think it would be nice to have legal subs. I don't think it was necessary for you to jump on my word choice here. It does come off as a bit too rude or needlessly harsh. To be fair, I really don't know how much say Netflix would have on something like legal subs for the anime. I imagine that would be more up to TPCI than anything else. Being upset at TPCI for not being able to meet that bare minimum is perfectly understandable though. In a lot of ways, I'm not surprised that they haven't done it, mainly because they do seem more interested in keeping the focus on the dub than anything that happens in the Japanese version when it comes to official releases.

Do we have any idea of the amount of episodes in season 23? I know it has to be ending soon, compared to previous seasons, a bit over 50 episodes seems to be the normal range.

Hidden Mew said:
Disney+ is the only streaming service that I've heard of that does the weekly release format instead and even then, I heard some complaints about them doing that from other people.

People complain about Netflix's season dump practice as well, y'know.

While it would be nice for Pokemon to be released weekly, I just don't think it would help the dub get that much more attention. That release method didn't result in a lot of people reacting to major events in XY or SM when the dub got to certain points either

It did though. In the days leading up to Sun & Moon fans (mostly) had a new episode to look forward to every single week. Even if #AlolaChampion wasn't trending when the dub version premiered there were still a good number of people keeping the conversation alive all year long.

Who talks about the Journeys dub outside the weekends when the new batches of episodes land?

I don't think it was necessary for you to jump on my word choice here. It does come off as a bit too rude or needlessly harsh.

I wasn't being rude at all, but OK.

I really don't know how much say Netflix would have on something like legal subs for the anime. I imagine that would be more up to TPCI than anything else. Being upset at TPCI for not being able to meet that bare minimum is perfectly understandable though.

Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution was one of the most watched anime for the streaming service in 2020. It, coincidentally, had the option of watching it in Japanese. Now correlation does not imply causation, of course, but it does seem like Netflix should be in the position to put at least *some* pressure on TPCi to do what basically every other studio does and provide them with the ability to give subscribers more audio options.

37: Joyeuses retrouvailles sous le soleil d'Alola ! (Happy Reunion Under the Alolan Sun!)

This is a cute title! I'd be happy if this ended up being the English equivalent, although I'm still hoping one day for there to be a dub episode titled "Alola Surprise!"

Maybe when they go back to Alola next time (hint, hint, writers ;))

It did though. In the days leading up to Sun & Moon fans (mostly) had a new episode to look forward to every single week. Even if #AlolaChampion wasn't trending when the dub version premiered there were still a good number of people keeping the conversation alive all year long.

Who talks about the Journeys dub outside the weekends when the new batches of episodes land?

Admittedly, I don't venture too far into Twitter when it comes to the anime, but most discussion I do see about it on social media is mostly focused on the Japanese version. The dub comes up, but not as much and mostly just as comparisons or to see how people react to voices or certain lines. I just don't really see a lot of reactions to the dub compared to the Japanese version as far as major events go, even when the anime had a weekly release. The Netflix release method doesn't help matters, but I also don't know if that's really the only reason why Journeys doesn't get a lot of attention a couple of days after new episodes come out. I'm just not confident that Journeys would attract significantly more attention if it was released weekly instead.

Dogasu said:
I wasn't being rude at all, but OK.

Yes, you were and clearly still are. You were being passive aggressive and jumping on my case for saying that legal subs would be neat, seemingly just because of how I described it. At the very least, your tone just seems so needlessly confrontational, especially when I don't even disagree with you over how legal subs should be available.

Dogasu said:
Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution was one of the most watched anime for the streaming service in 2020. It, coincidentally, had the option of watching it in Japanese. Now correlation does not imply causation, of course, but it does seem like Netflix should be in the position to put at least *some* pressure on TPCi to do what basically every other studio does and provide them with the ability to give subscribers more audio options.

Given that not all of the anime on Netflix have subs available, I'm not sure how much pressure they could put on TPCI or if it would even matter since it still probably wouldn't be up to anyone besides TPCI.

I know having the Japanese voice track for the Netflix release would be a great thing, but I think retaining 100% of the music is still what I want the most. Ideally, we could have both, but I would be content with the Japanese music left in with the English audio being the only option.

I know having the Japanese voice track for the Netflix release would be a great thing, but I think retaining 100% of the music is still what I want the most. Ideally, we could have both, but I would be content with the Japanese music left in with the English audio being the only option.
Frankly as long as the Japanese audio was made available, they could dub the soundtrack over with fart noises and banging trashcans for the English version and I wouldn't see it as that big of a deal.

Anytime there's a poor dub of something, the problem is almost totally alleviated as long as the original version is made to be just as accessible. Even 4Kids eventually relented, and now the terrible dubs of Yu-Gi-Oh! or Sonic X can just work as funny little curiosities for fans of the Japanese versions. It's hard for me to get all rile up about the various story and music changes they made to those shows when you can just watch the uncut originals with a Crunchyroll or Hulu subscription.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom